I had an account with ABN AMRO. I opened it due to my company request as it dealt with this bank for a while.
I HAD to obtain a credit card along with the account opening! And when I asked why, they said: “this is the package offered for your company. However, you can cancel it later on.” So I thought it is fine while I can cancel it with no hassle.
After I got that card and opened that account, I instructed the bank to cancel my credit card. Simply they requested a payment of Dhs. 200/- as cancellation fee although I never used the credit card. I didn’t even activate it!
When I called the complain department to at least express my anger of this stupid trap, the jerk on the other end asked me to hold on for very long while. I called again. Another jerk answered and again asked to hold on and vanished! I go tempered and thought this is my job today. I kept on calling till one of them forgot to put me on hold! I explained to him.
- He simply said: “this is what was written in the terms and conditions you signed on.”
- but I didn’t sigh on anything. You just gave me the credit card as I opened the account!
- Yah this is the package and if you read the terms and conditions…
- But I didn’t even receive terms and conditions except along with the card itself!
- Sorry sir it is just our policy!
- Yes sir!
Imagine somebody offers you something that you don’t want so you have to pay him his unwanted offer!!
The problem is not in paying those Dhs 200. It is in the way they have been literally stolen from me! It is so dirty when somebody get advantage on you this way.
I was forced to pay them and canceled the card.
One of my colleagues used his ABN AMRO credit card and was short in money so a payment was overdue. The bank collection department called him couple of times and he was shocked of their way of talking!
In the last time they called him he was in my car. He switched the phone to loud-speak interphone:
- I’m calling from ANB AMRO bank..
- your payment is due since few days and..
- yes but I said I wouldn’t be able to do it just now.. I am..
- but you have to do it otherwise we submit the file..
- sorry? Alright do what you find ok.. (with a bit of anger)
- (shouting!) you have to make the payment.. how do you use our service and don’t pay?..
- don’t use this accent otherwise I’ll complain against you to the bank..
- (shouting even louder!!) do it.. do it.. look.. I’ll switch now to the record.. (tec tec) ok.. now the conversation is recorded.. when you will come and make the payment?
- you really impolite… what’s your name?
- it is bla bla bla.. if you don’t make it today you will be called by police (shut the phone!!)
I have never seen or heard in my life more impudent or stupid than those collection staff and I really wished I see that jerk at that moment to give him a kick on his ass!
Another colleague used his credit card for short while and canceled it. You just can’t believe it if I tell you the collection department kept calling him constantly till six months after the cancellation asking for payments!!!
The last time happened he jumped over his desk and started yelling on the phone! We had a big laugh when he literally said:
“this f***ing card is already canceled six f**king months ago and you the f**k still calling?!... listen to me.. if you don’t forget this number I will sue you and your f**king bank do you understand??!!” and he put the phone down!
Eversince he got rid of them and they stopped calling!
Months after I canceled my credit card, I changed my job and shifted my account to another bank. I received a call from a stranger with Dubai code:
Me – hello
- yah.. hello sir
- it is.. . regarding.. mm (noise and sounds like chewing something!!!)
- Sorry?.. hello!..
- Yah it is regarding a credit card (he said it with a clearer voice!)
- Which credit card?
- ANB AMRO sir.. it is..
- Wait wait.. don’t tell me pending payment!! I have no card from your bank!!
- No sir… our bank offers credit card with good services and advantages.. we can give you low rate of…
- Look look.. wait.... you know had a credit card from your bank before and I canceled it don’t you?!
- But sir the rate we give you is..
- Ya ya look.. I know all about the rates and everything.. I’m telling you I had a bad experience with your bank and I’m not interested. Is that clear?
- No sir.. I mean I didn’t know that before!
- You don’t know?! How did you get my number then?
- I have it in database.. ok sir.. thank you! (he put the phone down!!)
Apart of unprofessionalism, stupid attitude and misuse of previous information, their sales staff just can’t even be polite enough to apologize!!
ABN AMRO became the talking story of everybody in my previous workplace. And later on I discovered there are many people who also frustrated from it before.
I know that ABN jerks will never be professional enough to seek info about their crab bank and will never read this.
Everything I said here is 100% true and I am ready to get all concerted x-colleagues to witness on what I said.