Which SUV Will You Choose??

Topic locked
Which SUV will you choose?? Sep 10, 2006
Hi there, just wanted some opinion on these 2 SUVs. Wondering which you would choose for the same money (About DHs70-80K)??

1. 2004, Ford Explorer, 4.0V6
2. 2004, Dodge Durango (New Shape)

I'm kinna new to Dubai and I won't know which dealers are better and which is not. So I would deeply appreciate some comments and advise on this.

Cheers

apyip
Dubai Forum User

Sep 11, 2006
I would prefer a Japanese make for used SUV. If it has to be American, ll go with a wrangler.

In the option listed, Ford sounds less evil :twisted: .
zookk
Dubai Forum User

Sep 11, 2006
I'm with Zook, i'd prefer Jap over American but I will tell you, everyone I know with a Durango has it in the shop about the same amount of time it is on the road.

If you have your heart set on American, how about an Envoy?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 11, 2006
fayz wrote:I'm with Zook, i'd prefer Jap over American but I will tell you, everyone I know with a Durango has it in the shop about the same amount of time it is on the road.

If you have your heart set on American, how about an Envoy?

Fayz, thanks for the advise. I'm kinna more keen on the Explorer then the Durango. As for going American, I can't think of a 7 seater Japanese SUV for the same age and budget??

The Land Cruisers and Prados are kinna hard core and the 3rd row of seats dun fold flat on the floor. WHat else are there?? I love the Volvo XC90, but its kinna over my budget.

Any advise??
apyip
Dubai Forum User

Sep 12, 2006
What about the Nissan Armada, that thing is huge. Not sure what your budget is. There is also the Suzuki Grand Vitara there is a 7 seater version of it.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 15, 2006
Guys any opinions with regard to mileage, warantee, fuel economy and service cost with regard to the

Darango
Land Cruiser
Escalade
Armada
XC90

Do all of them have a 6ltr engine ??
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 15, 2006
KeithL wrote:Guys any opinions with regard to mileage, warantee, fuel economy and service cost with regard to the

Darango
Land Cruiser
Escalade
Armada
XC90

I think only the Escalade is 6.0L. The rest is about 5.0L and the Volvo is the smallest engine capacity 2.9 Turbo.
apyip
Dubai Forum User

Sep 16, 2006
Apyip, i guess the Caddy will be a fuel guzzler, wont it ?? :?

Would you say that the Land Cruiser has the best fuel economy among the 5L + SUV's ?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 16, 2006
First of all, do not buy your SUV at a dealership. I sold my 2004 landRover Discovery for market value of AED 70,000.

Dealer had the exact one, driven more and with no pullbar in the front for AED 18,000 more than what i sold mine for.

Look to buy privately and buy a vehicle thats under warranty. vehicles without warranty are a risk. Especially 4x4. You never know how its been driven.

By the way, I have 2 vehicles I wanna sell. Anyone know anyone who's interested?

Manufactured 2005/2005 model - Ford F150 FX4 4x4 Auto (Brand new) - Full Factory Warranty. AED 135,000 (New 2006 is AED 145,000 in showroom)

Manufactured 2006/Model 2006 Ford Lariat 4x4 Auto Leather (Brand New)
Full factory Warranty, AED 145,000 (New 2006 is AED 155,000 in showroom)
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

How about a Honda MRV 8 seater? Sep 22, 2006
apyip wrote:
KeithL wrote:Guys any opinions with regard to mileage, warantee, fuel economy and service cost with regard to the

Darango
Land Cruiser
Escalade
Armada
XC90

I think only the Escalade is 6.0L. The rest is about 5.0L and the Volvo is the smallest engine capacity 2.9 Turbo.

Well not exactly! the most underpowered engine ever to be on a SUV is in the Toyota Fortuner..the 4 door version with V4 2.7 VVTi!!! man you can't ever cross a sand dune on that! forget about desert safari :p

but yeah i'm with the rest of the pple...i'd go for a jap SUV in used! how about Nissan Petrol? its big enough! or a Honda MRV!! That has not 7 but 8 seats! and it looks good too! think about it....otherwise...Exlporer would be okay!
Cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:First of all, do not buy your SUV at a dealership. I sold my 2004 landRover Discovery for market value of AED 70,000.

How was the 2004 discovery?? Any major problems with that?? I saw a few of those and found them pretty cool. Any complains??
apyip
Dubai Forum User

About Land Rovers Sep 24, 2006
The 2004 Discovery is good, which one are you planning? 4.8i? Just make sure the car is accident-free, with full service history.

Now that you've come to a European catagory, you've got lots of choices! so its upto you to decide....also consider looking VW Touareg 3.2 V6...2004-2005, you'll get it good value and its a reliable SUV.
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: About Land Rovers Sep 24, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:The 2004 Discovery is good, which one are you planning? 4.8i? Just make sure the car is accident-free, with full service history.

Now that you've come to a European catagory, you've got lots of choices! so its upto you to decide....also consider looking VW Touareg 3.2 V6...2004-2005, you'll get it good value and its a reliable SUV.

Ya, am thinking maybe a 4.8. But read alot of bad reviews on it. How are the dealers here?? Reliable?? COst to maintain?? Expensive??

I am also toying with a ML320 or the older ML430. I kinna need a 7 seater, so the VW and the X5 is out.
apyip
Dubai Forum User

hmmm Sep 24, 2006
Well the discovery would be expensive so to maintain if your Discovery has some records of accidents previously, and there's no dealer's service history because Discovery has some problems of rusting, leaking and squeeks! However, you can reduce that if you go for a VGC discovery and test drive your self...analyse every thing about the car, get it checked from the dealer inside-out! than go for it........maintain it properly...service it on time! InshaAllah you won't have any problems :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto