Are There Any Probelms With Employment Visa's At The Moment?

Topic locked
Are there any probelms with Employment Visa's at the moment? Sep 20, 2008
Hi,

I was supposed to start work on the 6th October, with a recruitment company based in the freezone, however I have been told that I can't start work as there is a big delay at the moment on the Dubai Gov't giving out Employment Visa's.

Is this true? I am really worried, as I have already quit my job in the UK -and was getting ready to relocate?

Can anyone shed some light, if this is a company specific problem, or if generally across the board there is a delay in the Dubai Gov't getting employment visa's out?

Thanks!

fp568
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 22, 2008
There might be a bit of a delay because it's Ramadan - everything slows down. There might be a problem between the company and the immigration department, or the company is slow. Sounds a bit too much like a story try and put you off. Do they want you to work without a work permit?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 22, 2008
Hi,

I have spoken with them and they don’t want me to work without a work permit, I gave them the option that I could come on a Visit visa, and then get it transferred as you can do this without having to leave the country now, but they said that just very recently this had changed for British Nationals and that you would have to leave the country for a month now, so that wasn’t an option anymore....

They employ around 80 people so they seem pretty solid, and I know people that joined them around August and had absolutely no problems with the work permit side of things...They are also saying that its due to Ramadan, and after Eid which is going to be 2nd Oct, Gov't have a 10 days public bank holiday...which is another reason why its going to be delayed....

How much are things delayed by in Ramadan?
fp568
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 23, 2008
A 10 day bank holiday? Great news! I thought Eid was only 3 or 4 days. UK nationals don't have to leave for 30 days - there was a report saying that but then another visa official said no (see the UAE visa info for more). Anyway, an employment visa is good for 30 days and not so difficult to arrange (is different from a work permit). But if your company doesn't want to make the effort to get your visa organised, I don't think there's much you can do (except look for a job with a company that's more on the ball).
bonk

Re: Are there any probelms with Employment Visa's at the mom Sep 23, 2008
fp568 wrote:
I was supposed to start work on the 6th October

May I ask you when they have applied for the visa? And if you have
received it already?

My application was applied on September 14th, and I haven't received anything yet! SO worried! :(

I was afraid when heard about the 10 days holidays!!! :(((
ebad
Dubai Forum User

Sep 23, 2008
Eid holiday for public sector announced as 29 Sep to 04 Oct 2008.
bonk

Sep 23, 2008
Hahaha :) That right, it's Ramadan, everything's slow...and with the holidays coming in, expect not to receive it soon.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 24, 2008
Hi,

I was told by the company that their UAE Sponsor are not authorising any visa's until the 12th October - should I be worried?
fp568
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 25, 2008
fp568 wrote:Hi,

I was told by the company that their UAE Sponsor are not authorising any visa's until the 12th October - should I be worried?

um.. So the problem is company side. You need an UAE company/Individual to be
your sponsor to file a work visa (3 years work permit and residency)
It seems that, your sponsor either does not want or can not apply for you until that time in any case,
and the immigration office in Dubai is working, Although too slow.
Am I right? Please correct me.
ebad
Dubai Forum User

Oct 03, 2008
Hi,

Has anyone got any new news re: visa applications? I am still waiting...
fp568
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 06, 2008
fp568 wrote:Hi,

Has anyone got any new news re: visa applications? I am still waiting...

Check out the post in this here very forum regarding the slow down for Ramadan and Eid.

:) :) :)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 06, 2008
There are a number of other things that may be contributing to your delay. Just because a company is registered doesn’t mean it can employ as many people as it wants to, they have quota system which is governed by the departments of immigration and departments of labour respectively. The company you have applied for may have filled their quota and are waiting for a staff member to leave so that they can fill the position.

They may also be waiting for the new laws regarding visas to settle down a little, they were introduced before Ramadan and still have a number of peculiarities to iron out. The company may be doing this in order to save money, they don’t to pay to get you here than have to pay to send you home (as well as a salary for a month) and then pay to bring you back again once the visa is ultimately issued. Personally I’d give it another month before they start making concessions due to the number of complaints and bottlenecks the current system causes. Also bare in mind the amounts of revenue various government departments stand to make out of the new arrangement (additional processing fee, airline tickets etc. etc.)

Finally the Freezone authority is responsible for sponsoring your labour card whilst working in the Freezone – NOT your employer.

Don’t work without a labour card or residency permit, it’s just not worth the hassle or running the risk! Use the search function and look through the forum and you’ll see how many people end up with serious problems because they were cajoled into working without the right permits/ visas/ papers!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 10, 2008
Have you get anything yet? I've not!
Today, 15 working days were passed!!!
ebad
Dubai Forum User

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai