Malaysia Report

Topic locked
Malaysia Report Oct 09, 2006
Kanelli?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 10, 2006
I just went to post a new thread and found this! Thanks for getting me started Concord :)

Well, I've only been here for two full days, this is the start of day three. Yesterday we did a long, but awesome trip to Cameron Highlands (13 hrs!). Today I am vegging out at the gym and pool to recover :) Hubby is golfing. (Actually, golfing after 2pm, right now he is mini-putting next to me here in the hotel room :lol: )

Most of the trip to Cameron Highlands means you are travelling on twisty roads up a mountain, so definitely take motion sickness tablets with you if you get car sick. The trip features tours of various kinds of farms that are made on carved out plateaus on the mountain. The main feature of Cameron Highlands are the tea plantations, with three major plantations there. There are also many other small farms, but strawberries, honey and flowers are also produced in large quantities there. It was great to get out of the city and see the rural areas, including aboriginal villages. There are little stalls on the sides of the winding roads where the aboriginals sell jungle products. Also on the trip we saw a hot spring, large waterfall, and one butterfly and insect farm where we got to hold various kinds of huge insects and frogs etc. that are typically found in the jungle here. (I'll post some pics later.) I highly recommend this trip if you are in the Kuala Lumpur area.

Kuala Lumpur itself is a nice city, full of life. The people here are extremely friendly and helpful. The ethnic and religious diversity is wonderful, and they lack the tension in these areas that I feel that Dubai suffers badly from - so it is a refreshing change and a good example of how things should be. Right now it is Ramadan here as well, but also for Hindus Deepawali is coming on the 23rd, so the shopping malls are advertising and celebrating both in their marketing to the public. The ringgit is about the same as the dirham, and while the food is cheaper here than in Dubai, some stores are selling products at a much higher price. Something I bought at Marks and Spencer in Dubai for 40 AED was priced at 69 RM here. I haven't really shopped much yet, so can do a better report on what what is cheaper to buy here later.

One drawback about our stay in KL so far is the fact that it has been hazy due to air pollution. You can't see the skyline or spend too much time outdoors at the moment. The source of the haze is fire raging in Indonesia - a problem that has been plaguing this region for many years now. :evil: More info here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5415944.stm

Okay, one more thing to report before I go to the gym... The driving here is about as unruly as Dubai, but it works! Seriously, there is little lane discipline here and people follow too close, but there are far fewer accidents and the traffic flows smoothly. People hardly use their lane change signals, but no one beeps, no one gets angry - they just go with the flow and let traffic weave in and out and anticipate each other's moves. It is like a dance really. It still stresses me out a bit when in the taxi or tour bus, but the drivers seem to have it down to an art here.

I'll get hubby to report on golf later, in case we have some golf fans here.

Some links to check out on Cameron Highlands and Malaysia in general. Trips to Batu Caves and Malacca are planned - will report later...

http://www.cameronhighlands.com
http://www.tourism.gov.my

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 10, 2006
Seems your having a good time, keep on enjoying!! How about Genting Highland (did I spell that right?) had a chance?

Happy for you Kanelli but so sad for the god damn fire in Indonesia....people when will they learn? :cry:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 10, 2006
Thanks Kanelli. Enjoy your stay.

By the way, there was a picture on the Gulf News today about the pollution in KL (people wearing face masks, etc.).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2006
Thanks for the review K .. i am off to Malaysia next month this was helpful. Would like to hear more about restaurents and night clubs (although i am not sure you gonna be hitting those up haha)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
Hi Zam - we gave Genting Highlands a miss because it is more like an amusement park kind of place. Families with kids would probably really enjoy it there.

MaaaD - the food here is fab, and there are many great places to eat. We've just stopped and tried small local restaurants mostly. I'll also ask some of hubby's colleagues who live here in KL to suggest some places that we didn't visit ourselves. As for nightclubs, no, we didn't go to any (although I miss dancing to good music! have to do that in my house I guess :)), but my hubby has been taken out by colleagues to a place called Rum Jungle. It has an amazing outdoor terrace and it really does look like a jungle! There is funky neon lighting and the music is loud and good. Apparently, if you are in there with a group they just give full bottles of booze and you just pay the bill later.

Over the past few days we have been to see;

Batu Caves
Royal Selangor Pewter Factory
Malacca
National Museum
Lake Gardens, Butterfly Park, and Orchid and Hibiscus Gardens

I'm going to come back and write more about each, so check this post later.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 16, 2006
wow, that the next place im going for holiday

if i get a holiday ;( :cry:
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2006
well....if u guys wanna go clubbing here are some tips:

1. KL - in the heart of the city centre, go towards KLCC..there are heaps of clubs around that area especially Jalan Sultan Ismail and Lorong P. Ramlee....places to look out for:
- Budha Bar
- Thai Club
- Rum Jungle
- Passion
- Nuovo

2. Bangsar - Yuppy part of town....but lately have been 'polluted' by wanna-bes.... :). Take a cab down to Bangsar Baru and there are streets and streets of pubs and clubs.....go down Telawi Dua and Telawi Tiga...these are street names.

3. Sri Hartamas - New Yuppy part of town. For good food great music go down to Souled Out...the most happening restaurant there. There's Finnigans there as well...for the Irish boys....

during the ramadhan month, kanelli you should go down to the "Buka Puasa" bazaars...these are rows of hawker stalls opened by the malays for the muslims to buy food to break fast. You get loads of nice authentic malay food there. Thats prolly the only time that I actually take malay food. These stalls are available in nearly all suburbs. Bear in mind that this only happens during the Ramadhan month. Opens from 3pm onwards.

kanelli....the local food in small restaurants are the best. chances are you would probably get good food wherever you go. usually in malaysia....bad food stalls don't really last that long before they close their business.

as for seafood, go to one of these places... Unique Seafood, Six Happiness, Tai Thong for high end good sea food.....they have many branches. for low end but all the same good food... u'll have to go to coastal areas. But if you want superb Crabs in the city area... ask your hubby's frens to bring you to Fatty Crab.... ur experience with crabs will never be the same again.

and finally...a word of caution......try not to carry handbags...snatch thieves are very very rampant....

btw....yes driving in malaysia...although insane.....the drivers there are much much better than dubai anytime....
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 17, 2006
Wow, great advice dodgeek :) Thanks for posting all that info.

MaaaD, you have to try some of the places dodgeek suggested. Also, last night we had a nice dinner at a Thai restaurant in the Pacific Regency Hotel Apartments building called Soi, and went upstairs to a fab rooftop bar that is partially open-air with a beautiful pool with waterfall, view of the entire skyline including Petronas towers, and a very relaxed attitude with DJ playing chilled music. It wasn't smokey at all! The bar is called Luna. MaaaD, I have a postcard with the address and directions on it, so I can give that to you before you head to KL.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 15, 2006
Just got back from Kuala Lumpur. It was a great 4 days and i am looking forward to my next trip already!

Like Kanelli i loved the ethnic diversity and harmony that the city has. It is amazing to see how this young nation has created in the 50 years of its nationhood. Right now is considered the " rainy season" so most of the time it was raining really hard but that didnt stop people from going out and having fun. The traffic was insane however.

The Nightlife is really happening with at its center Jalan P Ramlee and Jalan Sultan Ismail (PS Jalan means street) more on nightlife in the coming post. As for dining you will spoilt for choice this city has great restuarants from all over Asia. (Malay, Thai, Indian, Korean, Chinese, ARabic, Persian, etc..) My favorite was Bajis i had a dish out of this world there!

My next posts will have some guides that i have put together from different places that helped me along with what i found in this thread. Enjoy!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
Kuala Lumpur features many magnetic nightspots from karaoke lounges, jazz bars, pool halls, pubs, discos, dance clubs and wine bars.

Discos welcome energetic patrons as early as 9pm but the excitement of live performances really start at 10pm or later. Most pubs and bars offer happy hour from 5 pm till 8pm, with discounted drinks.

There are two things to be on the lookout for while going out in Malaysia:

1- "Lady boys": tranys that look very attractive,tall, very well dressed. However in reality they have a little surprise in between there legs for ya.

2- "Business ladies": yes prostition is thriving maybe not as much as neighboring thailand, but some of the joints will have lots of those ladies. Now to some this might be something to look for not look out but just incase i wanted to mention it.

Anyway follow the bright lights and have some fun and excitement at the following…

JALAN P RAMLEE
near Bukit Bintang is Kuala Lumpur's central clubbing district (KL Monorail: Bukit Nanas/Raja Chulan).

Famous clubs in the area include:

Beach Club. 97 Jalan P Ramlee. The city's crowded and partiest joint. However be warned this place is full of "business ladies" sort of like cyclon in Dubai. Yet this place is bumping EVERY night.

Nouvo. 16 Jalan P Ramlee,
http://www.nouvoclub.com
Huge club with two levels that play different styles of music.

Zouk. 113 Jalan Ampang,
http:www.zoukclub.com.my
A branch of the famous Singaporean club, opened in 2004. Upscale with more of a trance/house crowd.

CHANGKAT BUKIT BINTANG
is semi-clubbing area across the Radius International Hotel in Bukit Bintang. There are a few pubs who also have live music on tuesdays and fridays

JALAN BUKIT BINTANG

Meaning Starhill Road, Jalan Bukit Bintang is a great place for nightlife options. The KL Plaza plays host to numerous lively joints. Start with the Foxx Discotheque at the basement level, for a terrific Ladies Night and one-for-one on drafts before twelve. Then explore great drinking joints like the Bird's Nest Executive Lounge, Zodiac Pub & Disco, RA City Pub, Ashibi Lounge and Queen Pub & Café.

Work your way over to Planet Hollywood, the renowned movie-themed, restaurant-bar spread over three floors. A fun menu and live band feature here.

Right opposite KL Plaza is the live music of The Regent Hotel Kuala Lumpur's Lobby Lounge. Also check out the Night Cat Karaoke & Pub further down the road in a bungalow converted for fun.

Head west to the Rock Net Disco, a massive crowd holder patronised by hippy generation-Xers revelling in loud rock music. Next is The Century Hotel's warm and cosy Long Bar & Cafe, a welcome respite from the madness at the Rock. And tucked away in a corner of Changkat Bukit Bintang is the Liquid Kitty wine bar.

JALAN IMBI

Based in Plaza Berjaya on Jalan Imbi, the Manhattan is a café by day, and a lounge attracting beer aficionados by night. Have a cool draught in the Manhattan, then sing along to the tunes playing at the Jockey Lounge, also in Plaza Berjaya. Drop by the third floor and sink some balls at The American Pool Club.

If you're through doing your thing at Plaza Berjaya, head out to the Piano Lounge in Melia Hotel for some relaxation with great cocktails. Stroll over to the ATT KTV Musical in Imbi Plaza to hear the melodic crooning of favourite songs while enjoying a wide selection of beverages.

JALAN AMPANG

Head out to Jalan Ampang Park Shopping Centre to visit the Deluxe Nite Club - one of the most exciting spots in the metropolis. Includes private karaoke rooms and a dance floor.

For more variety, try the Embassy. Includes cool outlets like the Golf & Dreams Bistro; the Latin Quarter with its hot Brazilian food and Latin-techno music; Nanta's for some Thai charm; the Vintages for some class and heady wine; the Havana Club for some great cigars; and Modesto's for some real energy.

If you prefer to mix business with pleasure, the Club de Macau in the Renaissance Hotel at the corner where Jalan Ampang meets Jalan Sultan Ismail, is success guaranteed, with a luxurious décor spread all over 20,000 square feet over two levels. The rooms over here are elegantly furnished and cater for up to 30 people per room!

Equipped with the latest equipment and songs ranging from English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Malay, to Japanese and Korean, the Club de Macau also offers mouth-watering snacks washed down by a wide selection of beverages.

JALAN TUN RAZAK

Jalan Tun Razak is alive with dancing and wining at The Piazza at the Megan Phileo Promenade. Proudly one of the metropolis' top boom places to be, The Piazza stretches all under a single roof, and across a landscaped courtyard with elegantly placed pools, fountains and lush plants.

The ten outlets making up The Piazza are the Brewball Pool Club & Bar, the Jazzy Dizzie's Jazz Bar, the Bloomer Retro Bar, the Lavela Bottle, Vivid Dance Club, the ultra Spanish-Latin La Rambla Restaurant & Pub, the Bubbles Oyster & Wine Bar, Xuan Asian Bistro, Take Japanese Bistro, and M Bar & Cocktail Room.

If Eurobeat Retro is your kind of music, then hit the dance floor at the Indiana Vince Bistro & Discotheque at the ground level of Wisma Inai. There is also the Matahari with its tasty pub grub and live jazz music.

JALAN SULTAN ISMAIL

If you're looking for laidback night entertainment, go straight to Jalan Sultan Ismail. There you'll find the popular Blue Moon in Hotel Equatorial and The Pub and Club Oz in Shangri-La Hotel. You might want to also visit The Hard Rock Café in Concorde Hotel.

The Istana Hotel's Musictheque won the Tourism Malaysia Award for the Best Entertainment Spot. With great décor and ambience, it features a huge discotheque, spacious lounge, and terrific karaoke centre of 13 rooms with totally individual themes. Finally, the Citrus Rouge comes to life every Friday with a live band, fine dining and fragrant cigar-smoking.

BANGSAR

Bangsar is the place to be for people-watching and people looking, with nearly 50 great spots and restaurants. The new Rox, and The Roof by night are two favourite haunts, and for Irish beer, there is Finnegan's where Kilkenny Irish flows faster than the crowd! Try to make up your mind between Trappers, Soleil, The Talk, Echo Jazz Bar, Ronnie Q, Scandal, Dinty's Pub and many more.

SRI HARTAMAS

For pool, darts, foosball and wine, you can't miss The Orange with it's terrific décor and cosy ambience with a lovely alfresco area and comfortable couches. It's comprehensive selection of East_West grub and long wine list is also a must. The ever-friendly Backyard Pub is the neighbourhood's hangout place with premiership football and feverish fans every weekend.

The Sri Hartamas area is also SOULed OUT's new address. This familiar name in the nightspots circuit now stretches over two floors with a dance floor, Foosball, and pool tables an added bonus. Usual Faces is the new kid on the block all set to take over from Bangsar as the place to be.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 15, 2006
Dude,

Did you do anything or go anywhere during the day? For us geezers!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 19, 2006
dude...did u actually went to so many places in 4 days? hahahahah...now thats REALLY amazing...or u just cut and paste from somewhere else? it looks like a lot to cover in 4 days man....
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 01, 2009
Thanks 4 sharing

i am planning to visit KL with family on the 14th-09, could someone share his/her experiences on KL where to stay during Ramadhan, places to eat ( breaking fast ) and short visits within the city
my main aim is to experience Rmadhan away from the UAE.
your contribution will be highly appreciated
ur4me
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around