Woman Who Lost 8 Relatives On 911 Reverts To Islam

Topic locked
Woman who lost 8 relatives on 911 reverts to Islam Sep 16, 2006
Tampa woman who lost eight relatives in the attacks converts to Islam as tensions simmer from the memories and new terror plots. But she presses on.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/08/Tampabay/Faith_s_friction.shtml

With all the propoganda negative perception in the media surrounding Islam...this story like many thousands other proofs that who ever Allah(SWT) guides none can mislead.

Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2006
I don't believe the story for one second. Where is the proof she lost 8 relatives. Remember, the US media can't be trusted. It all opportunistic bullsh&t.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 16, 2006
Concord wrote:I don't believe the story for one second. Where is the proof she lost 8 relatives. Remember, the US media can't be trusted. It all opportunistic bullsh&t.

yeah yeah yeah ......on one hand u quote stuffs from newspapers to corroborate ur claims and on other hand it's fake when it doent fit ur ego.

or it is difficult to digest she joined the enemy?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 16, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
Concord wrote:I don't believe the story for one second. Where is the proof she lost 8 relatives. Remember, the US media can't be trusted. It all opportunistic bullsh&t.

yeah yeah yeah ......on one hand u quote stuffs from newspapers to corroborate ur claims and on other hand it's fake when it doent fit ur ego.

I don't know what you been smoking but it is obvious you need a need dealer or your crack pipe's got a crack.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 16, 2006

Concord I gave you a link to the story...the story is not written by muslim newspaper so you can rule out propoganda on muslims point of view, matter fact the story is written by American news agency in Tampa..whether they wrote story because they can't believe that even after soo propognda demonizing muslims the religion still attracts more converts than any other religion in the West...It is also suprising that some who lost loved in 9/11 which is blamed on Islam rather than individual would convert to Islam. I think this shows that whomever Allah guides none can misguide..

Even someone like the Pope is resorting to desperate tactics after seeing dwindling church attendeance from 80% in 1950 to 16% today in his home land...also the fast conversion to Islam in his homeland and the rest of Europe. The Pope had no other means other than to resort to insulting the prophet Mohammed(pbuh)..a man who is not here to defend himself to rally support for his dying faith.
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2006
Lionheart wrote:

Concord I gave you a link to the story...the story is not written by muslim newspaper so you can rule out propoganda on muslims point of view, matter fact the story is written by American news agency in Tampa..whether they wrote story because they can't believe that even after soo propognda demonizing muslims the religion still attracts more converts than any other religion in the West...It is also suprising that some who lost loved in 9/11 which is blamed on Islam rather than individual would convert to Islam. I think this shows that whomever Allah guides none can misguide..

Even someone like the Pope is resorting to desperate tactics after seeing dwindling church attendeance from 80% in 1950 to 16% today in his home land...also the fast conversion to Islam in his homeland and the rest of Europe. The Pope had no other means other than to resort to insulting the prophet Mohammed(pbuh)..a man who is not here to defend himself to rally support for his dying faith.

Here I thought you were going to show me some facts and not just a newspaper story! Oh well, as I said: don't believe the story for a second.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 17, 2006
"dwindling church attendeance from 80% in 1950 to 16% today in his home land"

This percentage needs to go down to zero

"insulting the prophet Mohammed(pbuh).."

to not do so would be socially irresponsible
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Sep 17, 2006
valkyrie wrote:"dwindling church attendeance from 80% in 1950 to 16% today in his home land"

dude, arent you going to stop with this nonsense
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 17, 2006
valkyrie wrote:"dwindling church attendeance from 80% in 1950 to 16% today in his home land"

Because of what you say, I can only assume that you are an atheist. Therefore I will not speak to you in terms of theology. I will however mention that all, not some, all philosophical and Taoist teachings that have nothing to do with organized religion or any deity mention the benefits of respect and understanding. Respect and understanding for your neighbor’s and your enemy’s religion, beliefs, and culture.
bear
Dubai chat master

Sep 17, 2006
bear wrote:

Because of what you say, I can only assume that you are an atheist. Therefore I will not speak to you in terms of theology. I will however mention that all, not some, all philosophical and Taoist teachings that have nothing to do with organized religion or any deity mention the benefits of respect and understanding. Respect and understanding for your neighbor’s and your enemy’s religion, beliefs, and culture.

I wouldn't call it a religion. I respect that there is not the unquestioning belief in Indus Valley religions that is present in Aryan religions. In Indus Valley "religions" such as Buddhism and Jainism knowledge comes from meditation and own experience, not from what a book (scripture) tells you.

(Siddharta)
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Sep 17, 2006
Concord wrote:
Lionheart wrote:

Here I thought you were going to show me some facts and not just a newspaper story! Oh well, as I said: don't believe the story for a second.

I can't force you to believe the story..all I can do is provide you with information were I got the story, the rest is up to you to decide....
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 17, 2006
Concord wrote:
Lionheart wrote:

well what do u provide to corroborate ur claims? all u do is complain,criticize & at times provide links to some unknown site.At times u provide reasoning which according to me dont make sense
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 17, 2006
Eight family members in one attack. I don't remember reading anything about one family losing so many. This story smells fishy to me.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 17, 2006
kanelli wrote:Eight family members in one attack. I don't remember reading anything about one family losing so many. This story smells fishy to me.

If its fishy story than proof it, otherwise you like concord can't except that Islam with all negative media surrending is attract people in the West. If Allah ca guide and open the hearts of man who hated muslims with passion and made living KIlling muslims throughout History than Allah(SWT) can guide whomever Allah(SWT) pleases and this includes someone who has been told Islam is religion violence, but when she researched her heart opened to the true message. Who knows even someon like you doubts the existence of his creator will some day have his eyes opened to the truth.
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 17, 2006
How touching, I nearly needed a hanky after reading your message.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 17, 2006
Well after reading the entire article it all sounds a little bit convenient to be honest. Egyptian fiance, who probably said he wouldn't marry her unless she converted, destitute and turned down by several organisations and only the people at the mosque would help out with cash and food - hmmmm goodwill on their part, but the whole thing sounds a bit too far fetched to be true.

Also if any one person had lost that many relatives, the world press would have made a big deal of it.

It's just a small town rag.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 18, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well after reading the entire article it all sounds a little bit convenient to be honest. Egyptian fiance, who probably said he wouldn't marry her unless she converted, destitute and turned down by several organisations and only the people at the mosque would help out with cash and food - hmmmm goodwill on their part, but the whole thing sounds a bit too far fetched to be true.

Also if any one person had lost that many relatives, the world press would have made a big deal of it.

well again u exhibited ur anti-religion mentality..........many ppl converted in texas......where islam was unheard of and many other remote places where u think only Amoish and other christain sects live.......in fact to depress u I have to say Islam is fastest growing religion.

I know what u mean....it was forced on her or it can be that it was achance to expose to a new religion and she learnt and loved it
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
I only looked at this thread this morning and clicked through to the article. A quick Google shows that the article has been widely quoted and has even appeared on Jewish websites (due to the fact, maybe, that she had converted to Judaism first before becoming muslim).

I find it interesting to read the comments here that the story is suspect because of the report she lost one uncle and 7 cousins in 9/11 and that this hasn't been verified and corroborated. Hmm.

For my part, I see nothing remarkable in the story - as the article points out Islam is the fastest growing religion worldwide and in the US too. She is married to a Muslim, so the odds are if she wanted to be religious and compared all the religions, Islam would be where she would end up. Stats show this to be the case.

The fact that I could not find any repudiation or challenge to the claim in the article about 8 relatives, tells me this is a verifiable fact. The article appeared in a real paper and the journalist has given her contact details at the foot of the article.

The surprising thing for me is not the story, but the reactions to it here. Interesting.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2006
shafique wrote:The fact that I could not find any repudiation or challenge to the claim in the article about 8 relatives, tells me this is a verifiable fact.

wow :roll:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well after reading the entire article it all sounds a little bit convenient to be honest. Egyptian fiance, who probably said he wouldn't marry her unless she converted, destitute and turned down by several organisations and only the people at the mosque would help out with cash and food - hmmmm goodwill on their part, but the whole thing sounds a bit too far fetched to be true.

Choco... Muslim man can marry Christian or Jewish woman, so she didn't need to convert in order to marry him. But anyway if you have any proof that this story is fake than please provide us with fact rather making up assumptions.
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 18, 2006
Concord wrote:
shafique wrote:The fact that I could not find any repudiation or challenge to the claim in the article about 8 relatives, tells me this is a verifiable fact.

and this is the prime example...do u ever elaborate ur claims Conc.....no wonder u r fan of HP :shock:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
Concord wrote:

:)

Let me explain my reasoning.

If photos of smoke in Lebanon were quickly shown to be false by the blogging community, if the claim that the lady had lost 8 relatives in 9/11 was false, then this would have been easily picked up by critical websites given the prominence of the story.

The list of 9/11 victims are available and claims can be verified easily.

I therefore find little reason to question whether 8 relatives of the lady in question were lost in 9/11. As I said, it is an unremarkable story - her conversion had nothing to do with 9/11 and took place in 2005.

Given the number of people converting to Islam in the States, it's just a matter of fact that you will find interesting stories from amongst those converting - this happens to be just one other story. It's newsworthy, coming on the 5th anniversary, but not an untypical story of those who are choosing Islam as their religion.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2006
kanelli wrote:How touching, I nearly needed a hanky after reading your message.

Is everything in life joke to you?
Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 18, 2006
Shaf,

I still don't believe the story about 8 relatives dying on 9/11. Whether or not she or thousands of other convert to Islam or vice versa is a different matter and I have no reason not to believe that part (she lives in a free country after all).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2006
Concord wrote:Shaf,

I still don't believe the story about 8 relatives dying on 9/11. Whether or not she or thousands of other convert to Islam or vice versa is a different matter and I have no reason not to believe that part (she lives in a free country after all).

Fair enough.

I don't believe everything I read either.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 19, 2006
Lionheart wrote:
kanelli wrote:How touching, I nearly needed a hanky after reading your message.

Is everything in life joke to you?

I take that as a compliment, since many people think I could use a little more humour.

Shaf, I had read an article about he victims of 9/11, especially ones who suffered significant losses of numbers, e.g. families travelling together on the same airplane etc. I had read nothing about 8 family members being lost from one family. I too think there is nothing extraordinary about someone converting to Islam - but if you see that some facts about the story could be wrong, it might make you doubt the story altogether.

What is interesting is why Lionheart felt the need to post something so un-extraordinary?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 19, 2006
kanelli - you make a fair point and I totally agree. If one aspect of the story is shown to be suspect then it casts a shadow over the whole story.

What makes the story newsworthy is the link to 9/11 and the 5th anniversary of the attack.

I did a Google on the ladies name and over 50 web sites came up linking to the original story, including some Jewish blogs/websites. Therefore the story is doing the rounds and probably why Lionheart posted it here.

Whilst the article does not give the names of her family members that died, it does say they were one uncle and 7 cousins. It's not clear how many families this involves - there may be 1 to 4 families involved here, all related. I do not know.

My observation is that the obvious thing people will focus on is the claim of 8 relatives perishing in 9/11. The names of people who died are readily available. I think therefore that given the wide publicity the article had, at least one person would have checked this fact and made a fuss if it was not true.

Also the fact the article was from a newspaper with a named by-line would make me have a greater assurance that claims could be verified.

At the end of the day - why would the article or the lady lie about how many relatives died? I would expect the journalist to at least ask for the names and check on the registry.

Anyway - all in all, a story remarkable for the reactions it has elicited more than the story itself.

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 19, 2006
Yes, fair points. I agree.

I tend to get a little irked by "conversion" stories. I have some religious friends and family who enjoy it when people convert to their faiths, because it makes them feel better about their religion and helps them justify it as being the one true and superior religion that leads to salvation and heaven in the end. Then again, I am not a fan of religion in general, so am a bit biased I suppose.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 19, 2006
Once again Sniper there you go with your judgmental attitude. Personally it doesn't bother me if the story was true or not, the point is, what is the point of the post? Whoopdidoo so someone converted to another religion - people do it everyday, it's hardly breaking news is it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 02, 2006
2006: More Jews converting to Islam

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 35,00.html

At the Age of Sixteen A German Teen Discovers Islam

http://www.islamonline.net/english/jour ... ur02.shtml

the conversions to islam after 911 attacks have only increased which has spurned hatred among the chrsitian sects of loosing thier flock despite the propaganda done by the Church.
viewsoniczee
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums