Drivers Licence

Topic locked
Drivers Licence Aug 08, 2006
OK, I have got my residency (YAY!) and now I need my DL. I am on the list of countries where I can changeover, and I have everything I need to change it over but I need just one thing.

Where do I go to do it?

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 08, 2006
Dubai Traffic center - SZR. Its near the Dubai Garden Center mate.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2006
Awesome thanks. I'll go during lunch tomorrow.

I assume it doesn't take long. Do they do the eye test there?
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
Like he said next to the Gardent Center on Zayed Road.

When your entering (the garden center is in front of you) turn right and keep going straight. youll see it on your left hand side. take passport size photos with you when you go to change your license.

good luck..
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2006
yeah they do but if you are just switching your license you dont need to get one done...at least i didnt when i went
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Awesome thanks. I'll go during lunch tomorrow.

I assume it doesn't take long. Do they do the eye test there?

As long as your current license doesn't state you need vision correction then you don't need an eye test. Just take a ticket, pay your conversion fee and wait - all in all, about 15-30 minute process.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:As long as your current license doesn't state you need vision correction then you don't need an eye test.
I had to do one even though my home licence said nothing about needing specs. They did it there.

Might just be another of those random Dubai things?

Or maybe that was a long time ago. Wasn't there something about having to do eye test at an optician and bringing document to traffic department?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2006
sharewadi wrote:Wasn't there something about having to do eye test at an optician and bringing document to traffic department?

I'd expect nothing less of Dubai, but perhaps they've streamlined this because of the sheer volume.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
I think the rule was changed 6 months back. Perviously, yes, you needed to do an eye test - regardless of what your other license stated.

This added 30 minutes and 10 dhs to the whole process. Needless to say eliminating this from the new system makes it much less time consuming.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2006
Ian its pretty straigtforward, i did mine last Sept. You do not need take an eye test, unless it is a proviso on your current licence.

In all it took about an hour.

come off the exit for Mall of the Emirates then follows signs to Bur Dubai Traffic Dept. Like X says its near the garden centre, you cant miss it.

Good luck
arniegang

Aug 08, 2006
It took me 20 minutes (exactly) and no need for eye test eventhough my license states that I need to wear glasses (so does my Dubai license).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2006
Hi, if I am holding valid australian driving license but my passport is indonesian, would i qualify for the DL change over? will they look for passport or just the visa portion on the passport?
JeepDude
Dubai Forums Member

Which is more easier? Driving License from AbuDhabi or Dubai Sep 03, 2007
Dear Friends,

I'm working as an Electrical Engineer, in Abu Dhabi.
I may get transfer to Dubai after 1 year.
The company is going to apply for my Employment Visa. Since they are having branches in Dubai & Abu Dhabi , they can get either Visa from both of these emirates. Also I can tell them, which visa to take.

I have heard that , Taking Driving License in Abu Dhabi is tougher compared to that of Dubai...Is it true ?

Which is more easier to take ? Driving License from Abu Dhabi or from Dubai ?

How many tests will be there in Abu Dhabi ? How long will it take to get a call to go for driving lessons , after opening the file ?

Please share your opinions with me..
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum