Temporary Drivers Licence

Topic locked
Temporary Drivers Licence Jul 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just a quick one...

Looking to buy a car but i've not got my visa through yet, but I've rented an apartment, opened a bank account and stuff with my passport etc and a letter from my employer.

I've got a UK drivers licence and an international driving permit. I know I can't get an Emirati drivers licence until i have my visa through, so by that i can't register / own a car as my own.

However, i've heard some chat about a temporary Emirati drivers licence that lasts six months or so. Is it possible that i could get a temporary licence and then buy a car, and just explain to the authorities that my visa (and therefore permanent Emirati licence) are being processed if i got my employer to write another letter??

I'd be delighted if anyone knew anything about this or has an opinion.

Thanks in advance!

jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 24, 2007
I don't think they will allow you to buy a car on a temp license, since the car reg is linked to the license. But of course, the authorities here are unpredictable, depending on who you talk to at the department.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 30, 2007
There is such a thing as a temporary licence but it's not valid if you have a residency visa. Can't answer the question of registering a car with one sorry. Try asking at one of the bigger car dealers - they should know.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 31, 2007
My brother has just moved to Dubai last week and he emailed me today to tell me that he has managed to get a temporary licence that is valid for 6 months. I quote from his email

'Sorted out my driving license I am driving on a temporary driving license till I get my visa so I am mobile at least. The license is for 6 months but by that time I will have my visa'

Not sure how he managed it, but his employer advised him and helped to get it.
Peter 1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 01, 2007
More info from my brother

'Just went to the traffic section near Mall of the Emirates went to the typing section, took two photos and then had eye test in same area, then went into traffice section and then they handed driving license it is only temporary though till January hopefully by then I will have my visa sorted.'

Hope that this helps
Peter 1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 01, 2007
I believe you can get temp driving license also from Traffic Dept stall in Deira City Centre mall, just next to entrance of right wing (near taxi queue).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 01, 2007
My wife just got the temp license this morning at the RTA near MOE...

FYI the fees are as follows:

a. letter from consulate 60-100dhs
b. application fee 70dhs
c. eye test 35dhs
d. license fee 110dhs

Who said we don't pay tax in this place?!
Ansa
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 01, 2007
Ansa wrote:My wife just got the temp license this morning at the RTA near MOE...

b. application fee 70dhs
c. eye test 35dhs
d. license fee 110dhs

OK point taken, however, would you expect to get all of this free?????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 02, 2007
Ansa wrote:My wife just got the temp license this morning at the RTA near MOE...

b. application fee 70dhs
c. eye test 35dhs
d. license fee 110dhs

In Dubai, there's no tax like VAT or income (except housing tax!), but there are many jargons like administrative fee, service fee, commission, deposit, registration fee, and ridiculous/higher sales price. So yeah... it's a free tax country ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum