Who/what Is An "american"

Topic locked
who/what is an "american" Jul 31, 2006
lot of 'debate" about 'americans' (invading, here, there...).

what is an american?

what do they look like?

what religion do they belong to?

what language do they speak (look it up b4 u answer)?

where are they from?

all of you with strong antti or pro american sentiments must know. i'm always looking to learn so enlighthen me.

I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2006
i sort of have an idea where you heading with this. Let me tell you this, lots of people in thsi part of the world are very angry at "americans" really are only angry at the goverment. Little do they know how uninvolved your average american is with the political game in his/her country. So to the world here "American" is someone who actually elected and supports the goverment. and we all know thats a minority of americans ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 01, 2006
you are pretty bright. my next queries are 'who/what is a palestinian' and
'who/what is an arab' although the latter may be easier!
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2006
MaaaD wrote:"American" is someone who actually elected and supports the goverment. and we all know thats a minority of americans ;)

I'm not sure you realize now much how much of a minority. In the 2004 election, something like 60% of the population voted, of them about 50% voted for Bush. That means a whopping 30% actively support him.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 01, 2006
mraph33 wrote:
MaaaD wrote:"American" is someone who actually elected and supports the goverment. and we all know thats a minority of americans ;)

I'm not sure you realize now much how much of a minority. In the 2004 election, something like 60% of the population voted, of them about 50% voted for Bush. That means a whopping 30% actively support him.

and that was 2004 ... wonder how many still do?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2006
Bush support rating falls to 29 percent

The poll, conducted by the Wall Street Journal, is the latest to indicate a slump in public support for the US leader as his Republican party heads into the campaign for mid-term elections in November.

In the poll, released in the newspaper's online edition, Bush has lost six percentage points in a month.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 02, 2006
mraph33 wrote:Bush support rating falls to 29 percent

The poll, conducted by the Wall Street Journal, is the latest to indicate a slump in public support for the US leader as his Republican party heads into the campaign for mid-term elections in November.

In the poll, released in the newspaper's online edition, Bush has lost six percentage points in a month.

what's that got to do with the original question :roll:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:

Read back its got to do with there not being many "Americans" by Maaad's definition
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2006
ajb wrote:
I-No-Jack wrote:

Read back its got to do with there not being many "Americans" by Maaad's definition

no ajb, what it is, is that maaad is smart enough (probably american) to know that 'americans' are from everywhere in the world, every creed, color, sexual preference, tall/short, fat/skinny, ugly/pretty, etc. 'americans' are allowed to think and act outside their individual religion, race, socieconomic background. or maybe its just a movie i saw :wink:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:
ajb wrote:
I-No-Jack wrote:

no ajb, what it is, is that maaad is smart enough (probably american) to know that 'americans' are from everywhere in the world, every creed, color, fun preference, tall/short, fat/skinny, ugly/pretty, etc. 'americans' are allowed to think and act outside their individual religion, race, socieconomic background. or maybe its just a movie i saw :wink:

So there are American's of all races, religions, etc.....and only 29% have their heads so far up their ass, that they still support Bush.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2006
Bingo!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2006
This is an American
:lol:

Lionheart
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2006
Looks like my high school math teacher
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2006
mraph33 wrote:Looks like my high school math teacher

It IS my High School maths teacher :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 03, 2006
no, no, its my physical education teacher (track and field)
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2006
Ah yes..... I heard he was an Olympic high-jumper also
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:no, no, its my physical education teacher (track and field)

No, no its mine
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 03, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
I-No-Jack wrote:no, no, its my physical education teacher (track and field)

No, no its mine

I'm sure he would be VERY proud to know that everyone is fighting over him
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2006
Well, back to the topic
mraph33 wrote:

I agree with the definition when we say "Americans"

I would also like to illustrate that the 30% are people who never been outside the states or Jews who support Israel, Also they are the people who are so ignorent that they don't know even where is the Arab world and think that a Muslim word is equal to Terrorist.
Those people are mainly located in the middle away from the Coasts and they are brain washed by the media (as it is the only source of info for them) and they still live in the cowboy Era.

Don't believe me, check the Areas which voted for Mr. Bush...

Anyway, in the end, this is the bad of democracy when is given to the wrong people.
"Democracy is like double edged knife, give it to a kid, and he will hurt himself all the people around him"

cheers
yshimy

Aug 03, 2006
A quick example of how people view "Arab=Terrorist"
A few months ago, Dubai Ports signed a contract to manage some of the ports in the US. The deal fell through because of "Dubai's support of terrorists," or something along those lines.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 05, 2006
Seeing all the pictures of the tragic military strikes in Lebanon...I just want to say to All Americans....take good care of yourselves.. If your anywhere in the Middle East region, you should really be very careful now. :oops:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 05, 2006
I haven't read the posts yet, but as far as america goes I hope this country is ripped apart. Americans are ethnocentric and myopic who may in a blue moon show empathy for the people who are suffering (like in Lebanon and Iraq) say that's horrible and change the channel. If Al qaeda struck the east coast i don't think i would feel sorry.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Aug 05, 2006
Yes, it is true that many Western people who don't have Arab or Muslim friends might be tempted to believe what the media says about Arabs and Muslims. You all know that sensational news is what human beings thrive on.

However, there are also many Arabs who have never been to Europe or North America etc., yet believe that all Western women are like what they see in Hollywood movies, and that the West is immoral and unpure compared to their culture. Everything coming from Western media is considered propaganda.

I'd say the stereotyping is happening on both sides.

I've certainly been waking up to the fact that some Arab people who I have met, while seeming sincere and friendly, actually harbour very stereotypical and negative views about my gender and culture. They show one face while another hides beneath... Maybe it is the current politcal climate or the religion factor - I have no idea. It makes me feel sad anyway.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 06, 2006
kanelli wrote:However, there are also many Arabs who have never been to Europe or North America etc., yet believe that all Western women are like what they see in Hollywood movies, and that the West is immoral and unpure compared to their culture. Everything coming from Western media is considered propaganda.

I'd say the stereotyping is happening on both sides.

I've certainly been waking up to the fact that some Arab people who I have met, while seeming sincere and friendly, actually harbour very stereotypical and negative views about my gender and culture. They show one face while another hides beneath... Maybe it is the current politcal climate or the religion factor - I have no idea. It makes me feel sad anyway.

I totally agree with you Kan on the first part.

And hope my post in the other forum about rape isn't the one causing this change, as i'm only one person and hope you don't generalise....

Although i belive i'm not double faced and may be that i presented my views in a wrong way and wrong place which delivered the wrong message.
yshimy

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums