Dubai + Culture

Topic locked
Dubai + Culture May 26, 2006
Don't you think Dubai needs more museums, libraries, book stores, cultural centers?...it is so lacking these qualities...

sanam07
Dubai Forum Guest

May 26, 2006
No

We need more bars and more restaurants that serve alcohol and more public beaches.

:D
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dubai + Culture May 26, 2006
sanam07 wrote:Don't you think Dubai needs more museums, libraries, book stores, cultural centers?...it is so lacking these qualities...

Is it? Have you looked around? There are plenty there if you know where to find them...now back to those bars and restaurants!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 26, 2006
Dubai and culture....

Now thats an oxymoron if EVER there was one :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai + Culture May 26, 2006
sanam07 wrote:Don't you think Dubai needs more museums, libraries, book stores, cultural centers?...it is so lacking these qualities...

No problem, Dubai will just spend 50b dhs building one ...

The launch of Culture Village answers the need for culture and art to flourish in parallel, Dubai Properties CEO Hashim Al Dabal said. Culture Village will be a tourist landmark that will attract culture and art lovers from all over the world. The project will add diversity to the cultural and art scene in the UAE and the region," he said.

arniegang wrote:No

We need more bars and more restaurants that serve alcohol and more public beaches.

:D

Not sure if you're serious or not :? . Public beaches are in short supply and disappearing. Bars and restaurants? Seem to be more than enough at the moment.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Dubai + Culture Jun 01, 2006
sharewadi wrote:

No problem, Dubai will just spend 50b dhs building one ...

The launch of Culture Village answers the need for culture and art to flourish in parallel, Dubai Properties CEO Hashim Al Dabal said. Culture Village will be a tourist landmark that will attract culture and art lovers from all over the world. The project will add diversity to the cultural and art scene in the UAE and the region," he said.

I'm sure that'll just turn out to be another villa + tacky mall project.

BTW, do you know that an opera house is to be built on that island on the creek? Of course all shows will be imported.

dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 02, 2006
we'll have to see what materalizes but that does look pretty kewl.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: Dubai + Culture Jun 02, 2006
dannyM wrote:I'm sure that'll just turn out to be another villa + tacky mall project.

BTW, do you know that an opera house is to be built on that island on the creek? Of course all shows will be imported.

You sound critical of imported shows? I presume many of the shows at the world-famous Sydney Opera House are imported too.

Another tacky mall? So what? The ones built so far seem to do the job they intended to do.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 03, 2006
Man that sure is ugly.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 03, 2006
Looks like something from the imagination of HR Giger...the guy who created the Alien in the movies!

You sit down to watch Aiida...and some 7ft. thing with more teeth than the The Bee Gees and acid for blood is sitting next to you...

Great!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jun 03, 2006
I think that looks awesome! The theatre projects a dune like look, which makes it unique.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
Guys, this is only a crappy drawing, plan view aswell so you can't see it properly. It's being designed by Zaha Hadid who's one of the world's best architects so it should be quite a sight if built.
dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 04, 2006
Dubai. Culture? :lol:
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 04, 2006
Well, culture can mean anything which defines a certain place so I guess you could call bad driving part of dubai's culture :lol:

BTW, I think the architect designing the opera house is also doing a tower.
dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 04, 2006
yes a "dancing tower" in buisness bay
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Don't you think Dubai needs more museums, libraries... Jul 17, 2006
Yes! Dubai needs more culture that is not limited to the same predictable venues (Madinat, Jumeriah etc.).

We need good theatre, independent cinema, more book stores, art houses, small concerts, etc.

But it all has to be genuine. The swanky art gallery openings that are common here don't get the picture. Art in this city seems to be about marketing a product or concept and rich people that know little of art but love to be seen. Art is a lifestyle and should be characteristic in a city, it should not be a one time event.
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 10, 2006
Culture in Dubai? Is something like that exist?
Behemot_80
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 15, 2006
Behemot_80 wrote:Culture in Dubai? Is something like that exist?

I do recall seen many social clubs in Dubai unlike many countries, such as india, paki, sudanese, egyptian, finnish, swedish, turkish, irani...perhaps there are more dial 181 and inquire
PhDFares
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Dubai + Culture Sep 19, 2006

Sanam,

I am curious to know if you have already visited ALL the museums, libraries, book stores and cultural centers in Dubai........ to want for more!

If yes, I'd like your help in preparing an e-book on these :)
kensus
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 19, 2006
BTW a borders is opening in Mall of Emirates .. :D
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat