Dubai Culture? I Buy Some!

Topic locked
Dubai Culture? I buy some! Sep 16, 2008
The culture of Dubai is...it don't have any! The couintry was only really established in 1971, prior to that it was a small insignificant trading post along the Arabian Gulf coast with a transient Bedhu population and a lot of dhows mooring on the long haul from India to Kuwait. Its major industries were pearl diving and...thats it!

In later years, Sharjah was a more important Emirate as it was the main base for the flying boats to land and re-fuel on the way to India due to its comparatively deep water lagoon. It later became an important RAF stop off point for supplying and arming the 8th Army in the Arabian Peninsula campaign.

There is evidence of tribal settlements in Al Ain dating back over 3000 years, but there were sophisticated cultures in Egypt and Persia that far back and beyond.

So when they say 'Dubai Culture' it means whatever culture from around the world they can afford to buy! "Today, I think we will buy French culture...let us all be arrogant and rude to everyone and eat garlic and snails!"

:? :? :?

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 18, 2008
Dubai's culture is totally insignificant compared to the likes of their neighbors from the East(Persia, Indian), West (Egypt), North (Mesopatamian Cities like Baghdad) and the South (Yemen).

I think what they have right now or what they intend to do, can probably be termed Culture-On-Lease.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 21, 2008
Culture is something that occurs only after a very long period of time? In that case, wait for a century and Dubai will definitely have its own culture to boast about.
It's interesting though how it will turn out.. being based on materialism and consumerism and of a multi-cultural population.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 22, 2008
pinoy1 wrote:Culture is something that occurs only after a very long period of time? In that case, wait for a century and Dubai will definitely have its own culture to boast about.
It's interesting though how it will turn out.. being based on materialism and consumerism and of a multi-cultural population.

It will be like America then!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 12, 2009
Dubai is a cultural melting pot
bhomes
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat