Outlook 2003 And Using Word As Your Editor.

Topic locked
Outlook 2003 and using Word as your editor. Jul 13, 2006
Calling all you techies…..

My friendly new dictators gray out the ability to check use MS word as your email editor in Outlook.

I’m guessing this is because of a group policy and I have to go into the Registry and delete something to remove the block and get it to work correctly. I’ve tried googling but didn’t have much luck.

I’m not the most computer literate person out there so if any you can help me figure out a way around this I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance,

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 13, 2006
fayz, this usually happens if you have Word 2000 and Outlook 2003. You wont be able to use word as an editor for email unless the versions are compatible. i.e Word 2003 and Outlook 2003.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 13, 2006
MaaaD wrote:fayz, this usually happens if you have Word 2000 and Outlook 2003. You wont be able to use word as an editor for email unless the versions are compatible. i.e Word 2003 and Outlook 2003.

Even though there should be no reason why this is the case, its to passively get you to upgrade the rest of Office.

That said, using Word to write emails is the pits, plus you need an instance of Word open everytime you have Outlook open which hogs resources.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 13, 2006
To Enable regedit & bypassing Your Group Policy, use : gpedit.msc located in your system32 folder. If you cannot access your system32 folder or gpedit.msc is hidden or unavailable, go to: start -> run -> mmc

Add snap in for : Group Polocy Object Editor.

Disable - Restrictions for Registry editing tools, Save the MCS.

And you can access the registry editor.

Best of Luck
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jul 13, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
MaaaD wrote:fayz, this usually happens if you have Word 2000 and Outlook 2003. You wont be able to use word as an editor for email unless the versions are compatible. i.e Word 2003 and Outlook 2003.

Even though there should be no reason why this is the case, its to passively get you to upgrade the rest of Office.

That said, using Word to write emails is the pits, plus you need an instance of Word open everytime you have Outlook open which hogs resources.

absolutely, plain text emails all the way :)

but you also have the option of downgrading too to make them compatible.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 13, 2006
Thank you guys,

MS Outlook and Word are both 2003

I agree word as an editor has many downfalls but I use a lot of macros and formatting options in emails that i write so with all its downsides it does what I need it to, plus the spell check is better which for me is a necessity. :oops:

Ahamed I got into gpedit.msc, I'm going through the policies now

Thanks again,
Fayz
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 14, 2006
cool to see problem is solved and life in tech forum
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk