Talking About Windows Server 2003, Few Questions.

Topic locked
Talking about windows server 2003, few questions. May 06, 2007
I hate server because i fell in love with the RESTORE function in windows xp.

Whats the use of backing up active directory if the damn thing doesnt back up passwords too....Anyways...if you have a loarge organization with 100 ppl plus..then backing up active directory would be a good thing to do rather then creating them all over again.

Registries...damn these things are a pain. System preferences will back up the systema state...so i guess thats good to use.

So i guess, backing up

SYSTEM STATE
USER DATA (ur files)
ACTIVE Directory

would be good enough incase of a disaster...

or of course u can just back up the WHOLE HARD DRIVE! which i usually like to do, except that its takes alot of space and time to restore.

Any advice with the ways you guys back up ur servers?

guest999

May 07, 2007
we use hp dlt storage works .. tapes :) with arcserv back up. good combination
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 07, 2007
ahamed beat to it - arcserv all the way.

You also get Unix agents for arcserv as well.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

May 07, 2007
the best part is you can use arcserv to do backups from multiple servers as well. at the moment we have 5 servers out of which 4 are active on the backup job.

you can select which folders to choose from different servers, or locally, select system state, prune database & backup database/sql from seperate servers by installing the arcserv agent. besides that, you can also backup data from client/user PC's if scheduled. Multiple job support & more.

We have 17-20 tapes, with each of 400 ( compression available )

If your company/you are financially fit, i suggest you hp tape drive for your backups & arcserv.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

May 14, 2007
I like Veritas 9.1. Its made much improvements over the 9.0 version and is more robust now. Restoring data in a production environment when the drive is trashed, Veritas according to me is easier and faster. Plus, it will tell you clearly if the backup has failed, completed or has been incomplete unlike the older verions of veritas which will state the backup has failed even if it has missed 1 file out of a billion. The one thing I love about Veritas 9.1 is the IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recovery option)

ArcServe isn't bad either.
ArcServe (based on the old versions I've used) records file catalogs in a database file that, when you go to restore, allows you to "right click" the file and see all the previous versions of the file recorded (basically all the previous backups).

Overall, they're both decent products.

Basically, I'd say it's a toss up for most people. I'd recommend, if you can, download both and install them. Both, I believe provide 30 day evals. Take a test run and see what you like.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk