DF Members Do Good And Do Well In Dubai !

Topic locked
DF Members Do Good and Do Well In Dubai ! Jun 30, 2006
Hi everyone,

Some DF members may be doing well in Dubai and I thought of an opportunity to also do some good.

Here are the details of the opportunity: As you may know there is an organization called K-9 Friends which cares for abandoned dogs from the UAE (not just Dubai). Many of these pets are abandoned by expats who get a dog while here and then simply abandon them when its time to go home!

I visited their facility a few months back to see if I could help. They can use help (in many ways) and I have been helping a small bit. I am impressed by the care that these volunteers provide and by the facilities they have – many, if not all, of these dogs would die but for K9 Friends (a not-for-profit organization run wholly by volunteers).

As you know, and some of us are about to find out, July and August are extremely hot months in Dubai. The dogs at K9 Friends reside in properly cooled and ventilated areas. It is however necessary for them to go outside to exercise, be feed, and take care of physiological needs. These activities are done outdoors in their play pens which although “shaded” get hot.

I had an idea that K9 Friends should get an Ice Machine so that ice cubes can be given to the dogs (they love them); ice can be put in their water dishes, and in cooling pools which they use for “refreshment”.

I called a couple of places and obtained a quotation for an Ice Machine and got a quote for it: Balrine Ice Machine, model B40-AS, capacity 16 Kg. Price: 5,320 Dirhams. I know nothing about Ice Machines!

The price is a bit steep for a single person so I thought there might be other members of the forum willing and able to contribute to the donation of an Ice Machine to K9 Friends. They will secure a plaque to the machine stating “Gracious Donation of DubaiForums.Com Members”.

In any event, I am pledging one thousand (1,000.00) Dirhams towards the purchase if anyone else is willing and able to contribute please let me know. You need not state in public how much you are able to contribute. On the forum just indicate your ability to contribute (you can let me know how much via pm). I will run a list of Donors on the forum without any amount associated with a name. Once enough funds are made available (hopefully soon as July begins tomorrow!) then the purchase can be made. Any and all funds in excess of the above amount (as I am optimistic of your generosity) will be donated to K9 Friends as they sure can use the funds, etc. All monies will be handed directly to K9 Friends no me (we'll work out the logistics).

I know you are feeling good about the meet last night and as I sit in my office this morning I thought of appealing to your generosity and seizing the moment.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. If you are able to foster a dog, adopt a dog, sponsor a dog or sponsor a kennel, please give K9 Friends a call (4) 347-4611 (K9friends.com). Regrettably I am unable to foster or adopt a dog myself do to limitations in space and busy work schedule (not enough time at home).

P.S.P. If anyone knows of a better price for an Ice Machine or has an Ice Machine available then even better. Let me know.

P.S.P II. I recognize that there are dog lovers and heaters in the forum. For my part I will not respond to sophomoric comments regarding pets (at least in this thread) so please save the keystrokes.

PSP III. As a prize to the most generous donor I will give that person the prestigious award I received at last night's meet. These are the very first PSP's ever awarded in Dubai to anyone in the world! (I will also include the certificate of authenticiy - also bestowed last night).

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jun 30, 2006
Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto

Thank you.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jun 30, 2006
Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy

Thank you.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
I'll shame you!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
C, K and I had this same idea awhile back but unfortunately momentum dwindled off somewhat. Put me down as a donor.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
Thanks, X

Thats great that means that C and K may be willing to donate (no pressure gals).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jul 03, 2006
Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147

Thank you.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jul 03, 2006
Collection Roster For Purchase Of Ice Machine To Make Summer Tolerable To Puppies - To Be Donated To K9 Friends.

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147

Thank you.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
Concord wrote:Thanks, X

Thats great that means that C and K may be willing to donate (no pressure gals).

C, as far as I can remember "C" is you buddy. Is there something new you are not sharing with us?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
Concord wrote:Thanks, X

C, as far as I can remember "C" is you buddy. Is there something new you are not sharing with us?

I think it was a Freudian slip in thinking there are more willing donors in DF!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
Actually, come to think of it Chocs (C) could be interested as well. Lets wait til K catches up with her sleep and Chocs is back to her hormonal best before we push ahead.

In the mean time I also would have thought there would be other members who believed in a worth while cause.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:In the mean time I also would have thought there would be other members who believed in a worth while cause.

So did I but remain optimistic. I think it is that they haven't gotten over the euphoria of the DF Meet!

Unfortunately they won't sell it to me if I pay for the ice machine with ZD's or PSP's.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 05, 2006
Anyone else?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 05, 2006
count me in for 200 dhs Concs

a great cause and respect to you for caring.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 05, 2006
I can donate as well, so put me on the list.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jul 05, 2006
Collection Roster For Purchase Of Ice Machine To Make Summer Tolerable To Puppies - To Be Donated To K9 Friends.

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli

Thank you.

Anyone else?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 06, 2006
count me in too...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jul 06, 2006

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine

Thank you.

Anyone else? Its hot out there!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forum Members Do Some "Good" In Dubai! Jul 07, 2006

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine
9. Taptc

Thank you.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 07, 2006
Whats the time frame for donating ..... probably be arriving in September sometime so remind me then :)
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 07, 2006
ajb wrote:Whats the time frame for donating ..... probably be arriving in September sometime so remind me then

Thanks,

Planning to purchase the ice machine ASAP as it is getting hotter out there. We are not there yet in terms of funds. If you are willing to donate just PM me how much and I will cover for you until you arrive (or you can mail the donation) - your choice.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

K-9Friends fund raising Jul 07, 2006
Hi Concord,

You can put me on the list as well, I have a K-9 back home and I felt bad cause I left him with my sister, when I left he knew I will be gone for a long time. I love dogs I was thinking adopting one when I got here but unfortunately my building won't allow K-9 residence. :(

GI
Geraldine
Dubai Forums Member

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine
9. Taptc
10. ajb
11. Geraldine

Amount pledged so far: 2,600.00 dirhams Purchase Price: 5,320.00 dirhams.

Thank you.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine
9. Taptc
10. ajb
11. Geraldine

Amount pledged so far: 2,850.00 dirhams Purchase Price: 5,320.00 dirhams.

Thank you.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine
9. Taptc
10. ajb
11. Geraldine

Amount pledged so far: 3,050.00 dirhams Purchase Price: 5,320.00 dirhams.

Thank you.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 07, 2006
Chocs will deffo chuck in Concs, she will be back next week.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 07, 2006
Ok Pal, trust you. Thanks.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Donor list so far:

1. Concord
2. Naruto
3. Lloydy
4. XRW-147
5. PrettyPenny
6. Arnie
7. Kanelli
8. Constantine
9. Taptc
10. ajb
11. Geraldine
12. Chocoholic

Amount pledged so far: 3,050.00 dirhams Purchase Price: 5,320.00 dirhams.

Thank you.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 07, 2006
I'd like to pledge my support too (I've sent you a PM).

Zoots
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 07, 2006
the_zooter wrote:I'd like to pledge my support too (I've sent you a PM).

Zoots

Thanks man. I wont update the amount until a couple of more people offer to donate (or donate) as not to reveal your generous pledge.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat