How Negotiable Is Rent?

Topic locked
How negotiable is rent? Mar 04, 2006
We will be moving to Dubai and have been looking at accommodation for rent. I am curious if owners are very flexible with rent? If so, on average how much will they be willing to negotiate? (percentage) I imagine this depends on length of lease and price of property, but if you can just give me a general guideline it would be most helpful.

bwc
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 05, 2006
Negotiations = up to 15% increase.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2006
Are you being sarcastic, or do people really outbid each other as they do in some countries. More info please.
bwc
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 05, 2006
A little from 'A' and a little from 'B'.

Have a read in some other topics for an idea on rental demographics here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2006
We were told absolutely non-negotiable. A guy from my husbands work found a place he liked at 95k told the realestate agent I am willing to pay 90k-realestate agent came back to him and said the owner said no. So this guy says OK I'll pay the 95k-realestate agent comes back to him and says the owner wants 105k! (In other words, get stuffed and don't bargain with me!!) :lol: Basically, from what I gather you want it you get it at that price, unless you are talking, say, Springs where there are more rentals and you are negotiating with similar housing. In this way this is totally different from anywhere I've been-it is also the only place I've seen them advertise property for sale and tell you how much it cost and that they are selling for more (investment angle).
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 05, 2006
GAB wrote:-it is also the only place I've seen them advertise property for sale and tell you how much it cost and that they are selling for more (investment angle).

HAHAHA that has always made me laugh the whole i bought this for 1 million and i'm selling it to you for a 75% premium always made me shake my head.

Specific to negotiations, from what i've heard the burbs are now getting more negotiable as you are seeing townhouses in the springs and apartments in the marina going empty for longer periods they are a little bit open but more open to I'll pay you the amount you are asking in 3 checks instead of 1 but centrally the market is still very tight (SZR, Jumeria), I just got back from the office in my building, had to get an apartment for one of my coworkers, they had 5 people waiting for it but we had first rights... although we did pay the full year in 1 installment they did say it was okay to split it over 3, when i renewed my rent 5 months ago they said one check for all or tough.

Good luck, bottom line is housing here is just a pain. And my note likely just confused the issue.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 05, 2006
As more properties complete and go online things will improve/change.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 05, 2006
Thanks all. Very helpful information!
bwc
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai