Ashoura

Topic locked
Ashoura Feb 09, 2006
I hope all those fasting for Ashoura today, do so with a kind heart and good intent.

Keep strong and lets hope you ate well before Fajr or else its gonna be a longggggg day :wink:

This is why I am awake now in case you were wondering :)

Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
I did stuff hard, yet a looong day :)
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 09, 2006
What is Ashoura?

EDIT: I looked it up - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoura Interesting!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 09, 2006
Even though Shia's take it more to heart. I disagree with one of their rituals. Sunni's take it more in stride.

Fasting is not obligatory.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
Liban,
A Learning point, what do you mean "in stride"?
yshimy

Feb 09, 2006
yshimy it sort of means without going nuts over it .. in moderation..

let me clarify that sunni's and shia's have different reasons why the day is special. Sunni muslims beleive its the day god helped Moses and did the whole cutting the red sea in half (sort of like Yom Kippur). for the Shia on the other hand its a day of mourning because of the murder of Prophet Mohammad's grandson Hussein in Karbala in Iraq on that day some 1400 hundred years ago.

just a clarification :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
As Maad said... :wink:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 13, 2006
Liban wrote:Even though Shia's take it more to heart. I disagree with one of their rituals. Sunni's take it more in stride.

Fasting is not obligatory.

well yes we take in to the heart..........i know what u disagree with it must be the beating of ourselves which we call it 'matam'.......and yes i repect u for not disrespecting us shias.

respect!
aduberdu
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2006
I will not disrespect a fello Muslim. Shia or Sunni, we are all beleivers in the Quran and in Allah's teaching through the mouth of the Great and Wise Prophet Mohammed.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 19, 2006
Ashoura ,, is according to one Hadith of the prophet Mohammad pbuh. is the day that the water of The Nile was split in two as a miracle from God for Moses pbuh and Bani Israel ,, when they were escaping from Faraon at that time. according to what i know ,, The Jues fast on this day also ,, the differece between Sunni's and Shitti's ,, is that we fast this day coz the prophet Mohammad pbuh has said so ,,, the Shitti's beat themselves coz Al Husain "radiya allahu anh" was killed in this day . no comment on the last .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 13, 2006
castellano wrote:Ashoura ,, is according to one Hadith of the prophet Mohammad pbuh. is the day that the water of The Nile was split in two as a miracle from God for Moses pbuh and Bani Israel ,, when they were escaping from Faraon at that time. according to what i know ,, The Jues fast on this day also ,, the differece between Sunni's and Shitti's ,, is that we fast this day coz the prophet Mohammad pbuh has said so ,,, the Shitti's beat themselves coz Al Husain "radiya allahu anh" was killed in this day . no comment on the last .

hmm thanks for the info, i respect u :)
emadullah
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums