First pictures of inside Dubai's much-anticipated metro Aug 24, 2009
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 24, 2009
Nice
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 24, 2009
It looks good, I've been watching the trains going up and down for a while now. Still wondering who will use it though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It looks good, I've been watching the trains going up and down for a while now. Still wondering who will use it though.

Oh no Chocs,now you will be accused of being an elitist because you have a car and wont have to use it. :roll:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 24, 2009
busa wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:It looks good, I've been watching the trains going up and down for a while now. Still wondering who will use it though.

Oh no Chocs,now you will be accused of being an elitist because you have a car and wont have to use it. :roll:

Well it's not operational for passengers yet. I'd love to use it, one of the main start terminals is just up the road from me, so I will have a go from that to MOE I reckon.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
busa wrote:

Well it's not operational for passengers yet. I'd love to use it, one of the main start terminals is just up the road from me, so I will have a go from that to MOE I reckon.

Not operational yet... Don't they need the revenue?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 25, 2009
looks smaller than a shopping mall. doesnt look like the escalators have the capacity of matching dubai crowds. I dont think they expect much crowd.
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2009
oh yeah now we do know exctely how an escalator and staircases look like

thank you arabian businsess for illumination

oh FFS thats pathetic they did not even show the GOLD CLASS fully catered Single Cabins, this is the minimum of what i expect from best of the better of the very BEST in the land of the sun & home of the oppressed.
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
i hope the metro project helps reduce the traffic chaos in dubai. Lets wait n watch
vicked
Dubai Forum User

Aug 27, 2009
qdabdul wrote:looks smaller than a shopping mall. doesnt look like the escalators have the capacity of matching dubai crowds. I dont think they expect much crowd.

er do you have any experience of metro stations anywhere else? They are a damn site bigger than the ones in say KL. They're not meant for people hanging around.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2009
vicked wrote:i hope the metro project helps reduce the traffic chaos in dubai. Lets wait n watch

Yes - It should reduce the traffic.
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 27, 2009
At this point I don't really see how, when there doesn't seem to be many facilities for people to leave their cars at the metro stations.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2009
Good pictures but rather odd layot of seats in wagons. There are too many seats and no handles for stand-up passengers.

It doesn't look that the metro can transport big volume of passengers in the city with 2 millions inhabitance in the rush hours.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 27, 2009
what u r dreaming abt??? 2 Mill??? how many yrs did you add??
~ 1.2 in 2008 + .8 in 2009 ????
I dont see any traffic anymore and wont change after Rama... will be less than more by the end of the yr and after that....
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2009
You should also add commuters from Sharjah who will transit to J. Ali every day in rush hours.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 27, 2009
What dirve or take a taxi from Sharjah to Mirdiff, which is the closest terminal, then metro down to JA, get off then have to get another cab to work, because once you've crossed the bridge across Shk Zayed road, you're harldy going to walk are you.

The metro in principal is a fantastic idea, but nce again as is always the case, is has not been tought through properly.

An inter-emirate metro or train would have been the best idea.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:What dirve or take a taxi from Sharjah to Mirdiff, which is the closest terminal, then metro down to JA, get off then have to get another cab to work, because once you've crossed the bridge across Shk Zayed road, you're harldy going to walk are you.

The metro in principal is a fantastic idea, but nce again as is always the case, is has not been tought through properly.

An inter-emirate metro or train would have been the best idea.

You probably haven't used taxi too long, hon. If you cross red thin line between SHJ and DXB from any side by taxi you will immediately have 20 additional dirham on the taximeter. I don't think it's the option for most SHJ people on regular basis.
Anyway RTA in Sharjah promised frequent bus connection to the nearest terminal.
On the other hand one day the terminal in Qusais will have been built. It's much closer than Mirdif.
Connection from metro will not be a problem very soon becourse the bus connections will be reconfigure to the shorter roots from nearest neighbourhoods to the appropriate metro stop as everywhere in the World.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 27, 2009
Its going to cost an arm and leg to use the metro just for the sake of using the metro.

Why not just pump 20 bucks of gas and get to where you going at your own convinence.

Tell me in this weather are you going to go out in a bussiness suit walk to the nearest place where you can catch cab or bus and then wait to get one. Go to a station catch the metro, then again do the bus and cab routine ! I don't think so.

There is all this talk about the bus service to the metro but anyone whos actually used a bus in dubai know that they don't run on anykind of a time schedule and higly usless if you want to be somewhere on time.

In my personal opinion the metro is going to be a huge flop and its there just for the sake of adding to the lists of thing hotels can add to there brochures i.e : 5 mins from the train station kinda crap.

I live close to 2 stations Ibn Battuta and JLT, but still If I want to use it I will have to either wait for a bus, cab or drive my self to the station find parking/pay cabbie or bus. Hop on the metro go to MOE for example for grocery shopping at C4. Then lug my groceries to till the station again. offload metro then load again to bus/cab or car ?! Highly inconvienient.

I would rather just start my car drive down to moe, do my bussiness load up and drive back and probally cheaper too.

Only usefull to people who work and live 5 mins walking distance from the stations.

Too little too late
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat