POLL: DO YOU LIKE LIVING IN THE U.A.E.?

Topic locked

Do you think the U.A.E. is:

Poll ended at Mar 22, 2009

Just great, suits you fine, you'll stay and be happy.
32%
OK but doesn't feel like home.
10%
Neither good nor bad
13%
Certainly not the best place but useful to make money and have some fun for a while.
26%
Awful. You wish you had never come and are leaving as soon as possible.
19%

Total votes : 31

POLL: DO YOU LIKE LIVING IN THE U.A.E.? Mar 15, 2009
FOR EXPATS WITH RESIDENT VISA AND NATIONALS - not for people who have not visited the U.A.E., already left, or those who don't have a current resident's visa.

I want to know how we that live here feel about the U.A.E.. There's a lot of noise made by a few people about how bad this place is, some of them don't even live here. However there are a lot of people who read these forums but don't generally comment.

Let's hear from you; the silent majority (as well as the vocal minority...). Just click the button you like and register your vote.

Be honest with yourself and weigh up everything before voting. I have no way of knowing if it's possible to screw this poll by voting more than once, I hope not. The mods should know!

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 15, 2009
well, there's no point in voting without some explanation as to why I voted the way I did.
Personally I was offered a move with my work from Australia to Abu Dhabi. Oz was great but the work slowed down and the benefits weren't as good.
All I have to pay for in Abu Dhabi is my food, water, cable TV, nights out and petrol.
Car, accomodation, schooling etc is all taken care of.

It's a good wedge and I can have some fun, but there is so much more that pisses me off in the UAE than any other country I've worked and lived in.

The reality is, the UAE is not the most attractive place to get employees to move to without having to offer them great incentives. I could have moved to Cape Town or Singapore, W.A. or back to the UK (not ready for that yet) but employers don't need to try and sell those places to employees, they do here though.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 15, 2009
UAE is an experiance! Good or Bad that is each individual's choice to make!
Happiness in Dubai definately depends on how thick ur wallet is!
I've certainly had a good time in Dubai so far....I was born here, then came back for university, would like to leave UAE after graduatin, see other places, and probably come back later, to spend my last few working years!
Hopefully God willing, life will be kind!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2009
thanks for the comments. I hope we get a lot more votes too. A bigger sample means a more accurate result :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2009
Just great, suits you fine, you'll stay and be happy.

Happy to put my vote here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 16, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Just great, suits you fine, you'll stay and be happy.

Yep me too, I'm just really curious to see how it comes out. Can we make it sticky? I set it to run for seven days.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:UAE is an experiance! Good or Bad that is each individual's choice to make!
Happiness in Dubai definately depends on how thick ur wallet is!
I've certainly had a good time in Dubai so far....I was born here, then came back for university, would like to leave UAE after graduatin, see other places, and probably come back later, to spend my last few working years!
Hopefully God willing, life will be kind!

It's true that UAE is an unkind place if you don't have money. Of course you can say that about the majority of countries of the world, who don't have any social welfare or medical systems. Maybe here the fact that so many people are expatriate and living away from their support networks of family and friends, it can make it tougher in a different way. Still, I see a lot of people here still enjoying life and having fun. Me too Al'Hamdulillah.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2009
Speedhump wrote:

Yep me too, I'm just really curious to see how it comes out. Can we make it sticky? I set it to run for seven days.

I have made it a sticky, should be interesting.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 16, 2009
I haven't voted yet because the gap between the last two options seems way too large. How would I vote, "I hate it here but I can't leave just yet"?
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:I haven't voted yet because the gap between the last two options seems way too large. How would I vote, "I hate it here but I can't leave just yet"?

Well obviously the last one applies to you
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 16, 2009
I suppose it's close enough but the clause, "You wish you had never come" does not apply to me. I've had good experiences here and I assume most people have had memorable times too.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2009
Apart from Awful, I could have selected any of the others...
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 16, 2009

go Sage...

I am very happy here too
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 16, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:I suppose it's close enough but the clause, "You wish you had never come" does not apply to me. I've had good experiences here and I assume most people have had memorable times too.

I had made another option between the bottom too but thought it made it too picky. I take your point though!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 16, 2009
Del wrote:Apart from Awful, I could have selected any of the others...

The other four choices really are all different in their way. OK is not the same as neither good nor bad. OK is a degree of OK-ness. Similarly the top one is certainly more than just OK. Like all polls you have to come off the fence and chooose what suits your thoughts best :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2009
11 like the UAE, 14 dont like it, so far a majority for the dont like it...............hummmm i cant beleive no one is going to push the votes on the like it side
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
herve wrote:11 like the UAE, 14 dont like it, so far a majority for the dont like it...............hummmm i cant beleive no one is going to push the votes on the like it side

Your starting to become annoying. Please go promote your book somewhere else. What is your point anyway, were all here because we WANTED to, nobody forced us to be here. Now because of the finacial downturn I'll be losing my job and will go back. I don't really blame Dubai for it.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 18, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
herve wrote:11 like the UAE, 14 dont like it, so far a majority for the dont like it...............hummmm i cant beleive no one is going to push the votes on the like it side

Your starting to become annoying. Please go promote your book somewhere else. What is your point anyway, were all here because we WANTED to, nobody forced us to be here. Now because of the finacial downturn I'll be losing my job and will go back. I don't really blame Dubai for it.

Well said KD, if the truth be known he is probably registering names so that he can vote and make it look worse.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2009
no. soupe a l ognon. i would not do that, i am just curious to see the outcomes, however the poll is intended for those who live in Dubai. i wanted to ask you who s that on your pic.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
herve, we know about your book and how you feel about Dubai. You can feel free to stick a sock in it now.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 18, 2009
actually miss dubai forum, i have something nice to say about dubai, i am surprised nobody put a thread on that topic, it is the food! pretty damn good, all concentrated in the same place a variety of 200 different culinary styles, including french cuisine of course.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
herve wrote:no. soupe a l ognon. i would not do that, i am just curious to see the outcomes, however the poll is intended for those who live in Dubai. i wanted to ask you who s that on your pic.

Yeah right.

My picture?, guess and see how good you are.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2009

please piss off now, you're starting to act like a troll, in other words posting comments just to annoy.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2009
Can't the moderators see who is voting and whether they are regular forum users?

So currently over 50 pct like Dubai or have no feelings against it, 27 pct have been to better places (well I like the Maldives more, no-one said Dubai was the Garden of Eden!) and only 20 pct really dislike it.

Unfortunately it's only a small cross-section of the full number of forum members (lazy bunch !! :)) and so it's easily skewed. Still, an interesting exercise.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2009
Indeed!! ... Dubai n Is the atreactive pleace!...BUT.. same thing i will say how Much tick you're wellet is!!..... BUT.... You Can enjoy very well even in every pleace!........ I guess no in the global world thing's 're justa round the money!..... I have been in Dubai twice!.... Now i m here again... got a Job!........ n leif Is good so far even great!!!!................
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 18, 2009
Sharp wrote:Indeed!! ... Dubai n Is the atreactive pleace!...BUT.. same thing i will say how Much tick you're wellet is!!..... BUT.... You Can enjoy very well even in every pleace!........ I guess no in the global world thing's 're justa round the money!..... I have been in Dubai twice!.... Now i m here again... got a Job!........ n leif Is good so far even great!!!!................

Yes you do need sone money to enjoy life, but even in Dubai you can live cheaply so long as you have a job. Cheaper accomodation, supermarkets, transport. All available ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
i dont know but i want to experience the life in UAE, but seems that is a rich place... isn't it?
raycxw
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 28, 2009
[b]east or west,dubai uae is the best........thumbs up friendss.....!!!![/i]
shahabazdxb
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 28, 2009
Just great, suits you fine, you'll stay and be happy - here's my vote
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 28, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Sharp wrote:Indeed!! ... Dubai n Is the atreactive pleace!...BUT.. same thing i will say how Much tick you're wellet is!!..... BUT.... You Can enjoy very well even in every pleace!........ I guess no in the global world thing's 're justa round the money!..... I have been in Dubai twice!.... Now i m here again... got a Job!........ n leif Is good so far even great!!!!................

Yes you do need sone money to enjoy life, but even in Dubai you can live cheaply so long as you have a job. Cheaper accomodation, supermarkets, transport. All available ;)

Ofcourse!!... here You are!... we Can find what ever we Need!!............
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat