Depression In Dubai

Topic locked
depression in Dubai Mar 14, 2009
for some time now all I see is negativity and depression around me.
had a friend who left home just before the crisis hit in and came back in feb. she said the change was so tangible, she couldn’t miss it.

had another talk with a colleague saying he barely just arrived but already thinking of leaving as his quality of life went down dramatically.

than all i read about on the internet is things are being banned, people jailed over nothing, hey even if you open the TV, all depressive movies everywhere, about war and people suffering...

raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 14, 2009
I suffered a few years ago after splitting with the ex and kids and let me tell you....The quality of care for depression sucks!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: depression in Dubai Mar 14, 2009
raidah wrote:than all i read about on the internet is things are being banned, people jailed over nothing, hey even if you open the TV, all depressive movies everywhere, about war and people suffering...

What's wrong with you, woman? Are you trying to get movies banned now?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 14, 2009
it's not only around you, it's everywhere...according to BBC News...
As many as 51 million jobs worldwide could be lost this year because of the global economic crisis, says the International Labour Organization(ILO).
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 14, 2009
it is not only dubai specific phenomenon...

its depressing everywhere.. i was recently in singapore n europe..
quiet depressing as well.. i'm sure frm wht i see n read, US sucks too..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 14, 2009
My screen name seems to echo everyone's sentiment! :)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 14, 2009
Do people really get depressed by thye economic situation? I honestly couldn't be bothered
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 14, 2009
you wouldn't be bothered till the time u aint affected directly..
u r lucky one if u r immune to the slowdown..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 14, 2009
how do you know I'm not affected?
There is a difference between depression and making silly financial decisions and then wishing you hadn't done it.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 14, 2009
You're all a bunch of cry-babies. I love Dubai because it has given me lots of cash, and if I lost my job tomorrow then I'd go home disappointed but happy, because I didn't spend all my money on porsches and 300K villas.

If you're here and have a job you are doing well.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 14, 2009
yeah smoggie you are right!!!!

there is a difference between 'now and then' situation and depression....

they say time's a great healer!!!!....

I dunno how far its proven!!!!!

:?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Mar 14, 2009
yups.. dubai has given me cash.. n i'm very much living within my means..n not too streached at all..

n i'm not depressed..but extra cautious though..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 14, 2009
smoggie wrote:how do you know I'm not affected?
There is a difference between depression and making silly financial decisions and then wishing you hadn't done it.

So if u were fired tomorrow for no good reason and thrown into a job market where u had 0.1 percent chance of finding a job....you wouldn't be depressed? How long would your savings last u? How would u find another visa so u could stay in dubai? What if you had kids halfway through their school year and they had to leave as well? A pregnant wife maybe? Maybe u were a new grad who had no time to make savings and carried huge student loans on ure back. Or you have parents that u r financing?

Don't belittle people's problems and put them all down to stupidity. Sometimes, it's just bad luck and not everyone has had the time to prepare for the worst. Besides this thread is about depression which is a true diagnosable condition and can be brought about by times of economic strife. Saying that it is not depression and is instead "making silly financial decisions and then wishing you hadn't done it" is like those fools who preach the "Secret" who say all bad things that happen to one are attracted by their own persona!
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 14, 2009
The situation is getting worst..This coming May many families will go home as the shool year ends..
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 14, 2009
Hang in there people
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 15, 2009
dee7o wrote:
smoggie wrote:how do you know I'm not affected?

So if u were fired tomorrow for no good reason and thrown into a job market where u had 0.1 percent chance of finding a job....you wouldn't be depressed? How long would your savings last u? How would u find another visa so u could stay in dubai? What if you had kids halfway through their school year and they had to leave as well? A pregnant wife maybe? Maybe u were a new grad who had no time to make savings and carried huge student loans on ure back. Or you have parents that u r financing?

Don't belittle people's problems and put them all down to stupidity. Sometimes, it's just bad luck and not everyone has had the time to prepare for the worst. Besides this thread is about depression which is a true diagnosable condition and can be brought about by times of economic strife. Saying that it is not depression and is instead "making silly financial decisions and then wishing you hadn't done it" is like those fools who preach the "Secret" who say all bad things that happen to one are attracted by their own persona!

As this forum suggests....I am expressing a point of view.
I know all too well what depression is. Read my earlier post.
Obviously not everybodies situation is not born out of their own stupidity but just remember there are plenty of guys out there earing hundreds of Dirhams a month...Not thousands and they don't plead depression.

I have lived through 2 economic downturns in the UK and lost my job twice there. I have children here and my ex has just been made redundant. I have no clue where in the world they will be in the next few months. But to say this has left me depressed is wrong. It is an inconvenience that is caused a something physical. It is like a walk in the park compared to staring into a bottomless pit.
But I suspect you have no clue what I am talking about!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 15, 2009
Snow wrote:it's not only around you, it's everywhere...according to BBC News...
As many as 51 million jobs worldwide could be lost this year because of the global economic crisis, says the International Labour Organization(ILO).

I agree its everywhere but whats uniques in Dubai is the system. Back home if you lose your job the system is there to help you e-g unemployement benefits, counseling, job fairs etc. Its not perfect but atleast its there. But if you lose your job in Dubai, your ******. They really don't want you any more, the system actually works againts you. And the lack of tranperancy, incompetence and lies by the government officials doesn't help the situation either.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 15, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:You're all a bunch of cry-babies. I love Dubai because it has given me lots of cash, and if I lost my job tomorrow then I'd go home disappointed but happy, because I didn't spend all my money on porsches and 300K villas.

Not all expats know how to save money for the rainy days :wink:
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
I agree its everywhere but whats uniques in Dubai is the system. Back home if you lose your job the system is there to help you e-g unemployement benefits, counseling, job fairs etc. Its not perfect but atleast its there. But if you lose your job in Dubai, your ******.

That's why we don't pay taxes here. It's just an art never written in any contract. Work, make money. Once u get redundant, p1ss off!!

K-Dog wrote: They really don't want you any more, the system actually works againts you. And the lack of tranperancy, incompetence and lies by the government officials doesn't help the situation either.

Lack of transparency is a common Arabic disease. It's a way of life...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2009
smoggie wrote:As this forum suggests....I am expressing a point of view.
Obviously not everybodies situation is not born out of their own stupidity but just remember there are plenty of guys out there earing hundreds of Dirhams a month...Not thousands and they don't plead depression.

I have lived through 2 economic downturns in the UK and lost my job twice there. I have children here and my ex has just been made redundant. I have no clue where in the world they will be in the next few months. But to say this has left me depressed is wrong. It is an inconvenience that is caused a something physical. It is like a walk in the park compared to staring into a bottomless pit.

You're a tough guy. But not every one is... People make mistakes all the time. Judging them is the biggest one...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 17, 2009
bedro wrote:
smoggie wrote:As this forum suggests....I am expressing a point of view.

You're a tough guy. But not every one is... People make mistakes all the time. Judging them is the biggest one...

Exactly this is the perfect point. Smoggie is a "tough" guy and smoggie that is a compliment not an insult. People have different tolerances, different thresholds for depression. Other people may not be able to handle the stress of even the smallest proportions. When I was in college there was a semester where we were doing 11 courses. It was ridiculous. We all complained. Some of us got angry, others depressed and some didn't care. But only ONE person decided to commit suicide and end his life. It might seem silly to many people but his experience was subjective. He just could not take it anymore. We try to empathize but we can't "put ourselves in his shoes" because we r not him.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 17, 2009
bedro wrote:You're a tough guy. But not every one is... People make mistakes all the time. Judging them is the biggest one...

I like that line.........I'll remember it! It sounds so deep and meaningfull....
but in essence it's absolute crap!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:You're all a bunch of cry-babies. I love Dubai because it has given me lots of cash, and if I lost my job tomorrow then I'd go home disappointed but happy, because I didn't spend all my money on porsches and 300K villas.

Have you ever considered that not all people are internet wizzkids that make about 25k+ a month?

Surely life is like a virgin then, unless you make 10k....and get a cut of 15 percent on salary like some of these guys and gals out there. You be squeekin' differently Captain.

You did good Cap, i hear :wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 17, 2009
How many dirhams to the Pound Sterling on March 17th?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
1 Dhs = 0 .194 GBP
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009
I just spoke with a Dutch veteran expat working close with government officials in construction. He told me that in january 12 to 15.000 workers were leaving every week.

I got to take him on his word. Its a stunning amount.
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009
dee7o wrote:Exactly this is the perfect point. Smoggie is a "tough" guy and smoggie that is a compliment not an insult. People have different tolerances, different thresholds for depression. Other people may not be able to handle the stress of even the smallest proportions. When I was in college there was a semester where we were doing 11 courses. It was ridiculous. We all complained. Some of us got angry, others depressed and some didn't care. But only ONE person decided to commit suicide and end his life. It might seem silly to many people but his experience was subjective. He just could not take it anymore. We try to empathize but we can't "put ourselves in his shoes" because we r not him.

Misery Called Life wrote:
bedro wrote:You're a tough guy. But not every one is... People make mistakes all the time. Judging them is the biggest one...

I like that line.........I'll remember it! It sounds so deep and meaningfull....
but in essence it's absolute crap!

I'm quoting dee7o since he represents what I wanted to say. As for you misery. I didn't intend to say Confucius deep crap. It's just what I feel. I see people around me getting sacked every day and I feel sorry for them. I see people who just don't care as long as they are not touched and that's a human nature I know. But it just happened that I'm on their side.

A mass job loss IS a crisis and a person who've lost their job can get financially damaged. And "depression" is also an economical term.
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 18, 2009
RedKite wrote:How many dirhams to the Pound Sterling on March 17th?

5.15 +/-
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2009
Hey bedro, I totally comply with ur argument, n I do feel for people caught up in this mess!
But that line was hilarious.............
If u don't judge people by the mistakes thay make, they how will u ever learn?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat