Metro Line News Update

Topic locked
Metro Line News Update Jan 09, 2008
Dubai: Some 47 per cent of the construction work on the Red Line of Dubai Metro has been completed and it will be operating on schedule by September 2009, said a senior official.

"We have also finished 20 per cent of the construction work on the Green Line while a 1,600 metre-long tunnel under Dubai Creek to connect Union Square Station to BurJuman Centre has also been completed," said Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA).

One million capacity

During a briefing with Saeed Al Nuwais, UAE's Ambassador to Japan and senior officials, the RTA chief said that once completed, the two lines of Dubai Metro would be used by around 600,000 passengers per day. He said the maximum capacity of the two lines will be around 1.2 million passengers per day.

"Dubai Metro, which is a driverless and automatic rail system, provides safe and reliable service. Trains will shuttle every 90 seconds. Protective doors will be provided at stations to protect users and provide effective air-conditioning to all areas of stations, whether these stations are underground or elevated" said Al Tayer.

Red and green lines

He explained that the first stage of Dubai Metro Project comprises two main lines. The Red Line, which starts from Al Rashidiya, passes through Union Square and across Shaikh Zayed Road to Jebel Ali.

The Green Line starts from Al Nahdah Road in Al Qusais and runs through Union Square, then heads to Al Ras at Al Shindaga Station, and from there to Dubai Healthcare City.

BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 09, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Al Jon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 09, 2008
Every 90 seconds??! Doesn't make sense.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 09, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Every 90 seconds??! Doesn't make sense.

Its very possible. However is that necessary in Dubai? Yet to be seen.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 09, 2008
Dubai: The daily run time for the Dubai Metro will be from 5am to 12.30am - about 19 hours and 30 minutes every day, said a senior official.

Passengers will not be able to ride trains at night from 12.30am to 5am. The first train will start at 5am and the operation will be suspended soon after midnight at 12.30am.

"Break is necessary for maintenance of trains and safe operation," said Engineer Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the Dubai Roads and Transport Agency.

Each train will stop at every station and dwell time [time for each stop] will vary according to the ridership (commuter count) of each station. However, stopping time at each station will be between 20 and 30 seconds.

Total trip time from Al Rashidiya to Jebel Ali Port on the Red Line - 52.1 km long will be 60 to 63 minutes. This will be under all conditions regardless of traffic jams and weather conditions. Runtime for the Green Line is not yet known. The average train speed will be 110 km per hour.

Earlier, Al Tayer, who held a meeting with a delegation from Singapore led by Delib Nayr, Consul General of Singapore in Dubai, briefed the delegation about Dubai Metro and the public transport system being adopted in Dubai.

The delegation also gave a presentation about operation of metro in Singapore and offered to cooperate with the RTA on its metro and public bus transport project.

Red Line work

The Dh15.5 billion metro project was launched in October 2005 and it is the world's largest system, which will use fully automated and driverless trains.

Currently, major work is under way on the 52.1 km Red Line between Jebel Ali Port and Al Rashidiya.

Once completed, some 87 trains will initially run on Red and Green Lines with a total length of 74.6 km. A fully functional metro system will be able to carry about 1.8 million passengers every working day.

"The aims of the Metro are to provide an alternative mode of transport to ease congestion, save passengers' travelling time and improve mobility within the city.

"It is intended to provide transport coverage and reach all strategic areas of the city and develop the network to branch out into the suburbs with future extensions," said Al Tayer.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 09, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Every 90 seconds??! Doesn't make sense.

Its very possible. However is that necessary in Dubai? Yet to be seen.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't make sense.

In Hong Kong I believe they run 2 minutes apart right? Even the Tube and Metropolitan is 5 to 15 minutes apart most times... :shock:
^ian^

Jan 09, 2008
Expect the impossible in Dubai.

I am still curious how some of the tracks cross with the highway on SZR.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 09, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:Expect the impossible in Dubai.

I am still curious how some of the tracks cross with the highway on SZR.

It doesn't, it just goes all the way down one side.
^ian^

Jan 09, 2008
600.000 people a day , they cant be serious

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Jan 09, 2008
arniegang wrote:600.000 people a day , they cant be serious

I wonder how many companies will use the train as labour transportation, if it is cheap enough.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 09, 2008
gtmash wrote:
arniegang wrote:600.000 people a day , they cant be serious

I wonder how many companies will use the train as labour transportation, if it is cheap enough.

I dunno mate, i wouldn't think so. I think the same issue would affect the labourers the same as everyone else.

Lets give the Marina area as an example. Mr X who lives in JBR wants to commute daily to DIFC. How does he do this?

Well in the cooler months, he can obviously walk. Not an easy one this. Can anyone suggest a walk route from JBR to the far side of the SZR?

The same applies to the hot summer months but Mr X will have to remember to take a change of clothes to work, plus he will loose body weight of around 5kgs a week. By the 10th week he will probably be in hospital.

or..........

Mr X can drive to the station on the other side of the SZR. This would take him around 20 minutes. Then Mr X has to find a parking space, this is not easy for him and is very stressfull. some days there are no spaces available. Mr X still has to remember his change of clothes because he still has to walk from the station to DIFC.

On the other hand Mr X could drive to work. He has an allocated car space too :)

Does anyone think Mr X will use the metro??
arniegang

Jan 09, 2008
arniegang wrote:
gtmash wrote:
arniegang wrote:Can anyone suggest a walk route from JBR to the far side of the SZR?

I read reports of over-bridges being constructed to ensure that commuters on either side of SZR can use the Metro easily
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 09, 2008
I just expect like all of the many innovations in Dubai, it will tend to be underutilized most of the time.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 09, 2008
Hmm.. reflecting on dubaidude's post.. I havent seen many of them using the water taxis.. ofcourse you cant comprea metro to them.. I really hope when metro comes alive, lives will b far easier..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 09, 2008
I think the majority of users will be labourers living in squalour in Al Nahdha, working in sweat shops in Jebel Ali and spending 2 hours a day sleeping in the carriages to and from work.

At least it may take some of the buses carrying labourers off the roads. I have always wondered why they have bars on the windows? Is this to keep them in, or us out?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 10, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:I think the majority of users will be labourers living in squalour in Al Nahdha, working in sweat shops in Jebel Ali and spending 2 hours a day sleeping in the carriages to and from work.

At least it may take some of the buses carrying labourers off the roads. I have always wondered why they have bars on the windows? Is this to keep them in, or us out?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

Labourers in the trains would drive away people who would otherwise drive anyway. And don't worry about the bars on buses too much. They are standard on those Indian-made buses, and it made sure we didn't fall out when we were kids, riding to school.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Metro Line News Update Jan 10, 2008
Greetings,
How many tracks will there be on one route/line ? also how many trains would be used on one route/line ?lastly,will this be a 24 hour service ?? Some of the figure's you have given are quite surprising!
:)

BabyDoll wrote:Dubai: Some 47 per cent of the construction work on the Red Line of Dubai Metro has been completed and it will be operating on schedule by September 2009, said a senior official.

"We have also finished 20 per cent of the construction work on the Green Line while a 1,600 metre-long tunnel under Dubai Creek to connect Union Square Station to BurJuman Centre has also been completed," said Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA).

One million capacity

During a briefing with Saeed Al Nuwais, UAE's Ambassador to Japan and senior officials, the RTA chief said that once completed, the two lines of Dubai Metro would be used by around 600,000 passengers per day. He said the maximum capacity of the two lines will be around 1.2 million passengers per day.

"Dubai Metro, which is a driverless and automatic rail system, provides safe and reliable service. Trains will shuttle every 90 seconds. Protective doors will be provided at stations to protect users and provide effective air-conditioning to all areas of stations, whether these stations are underground or elevated" said Al Tayer.

Red and green lines

He explained that the first stage of Dubai Metro Project comprises two main lines. The Red Line, which starts from Al Rashidiya, passes through Union Square and across Shaikh Zayed Road to Jebel Ali.

The Green Line starts from Al Nahdah Road in Al Qusais and runs through Union Square, then heads to Al Ras at Al Shindaga Station, and from there to Dubai Healthcare City.
vjamigos
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Metro Line News Update Jan 10, 2008
vjamigos wrote:lastly,will this be a 24 hour service ??

530am to 1230am or something similar.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 10, 2008
How much will it cost to ride this thing?
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2008
Medvezhonok wrote:How much will it cost to ride this thing?
'

I dont think it will be cheap...although a smart card or whatever they intend calling it will be a bit more reasonable
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 19, 2008

scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 19, 2008
Are they going to leave the plastic seat covers on them when they go into service?
^ian^

Feb 19, 2008
Great Photo's Scarlet Thanks.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 19, 2008
sage & onion wrote:Great Photo's Scarlet Thanks.

ditto here, nice work.

im very confident of this train system... but i think they should also concentrate on connecting the rest of the emirates to dubai using bullet trains...

people like me dont have the guts to drive on the road with these nutcases as yet.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 19, 2008
why have they got windsceen wipers on ?? No one will be driving them :shock:
arniegang

Feb 20, 2008
It will still be manned by Engineer/Driver...to deal any cases of emergency....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 13, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Are they going to leave the plastic seat covers on them when they go into service?

Yes, to preserve resale value 10 years down the line.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat