Iphone Pre-orders Being Taken

Topic locked
iphone pre-orders being taken Sep 03, 2007
gentlemen,

unlocked iphones are being prepared and shipped to dubai as we speak to launch with Gitex and pre-orders are being taken. If you are interested we are only bringing the 8GB version and price will be 5,000 AED with complete unlock to work with Etisalat or du.

Email your contact details (name, telephone, city) to iphonedxb@gmail.com

"Only serious buyers please".

iphonedxb
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2007
Dhs. 5,000 for a mobile wid no buttons ???????? no thank u :P :twisted:
hitender_s
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 05, 2007
Ridiculous. It's just a phone.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 06, 2007
5000? is it gold-plated?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 06, 2007
Hell nah!!! 8)
real_foxy
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 09, 2007
Price is far too high considering in the US the price of the iphone has now dropped to $399 (approx 1500 AED)

I think its better to wait for the euro version which is rumored to have 3G and 16GB flash storage and out in November
rAMrAID
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2007
rAMrAID wrote:Price is far too high considering in the US the price of the iphone has now dropped to $399 (approx 1500 AED)

I think its better to wait for the euro version which is rumored to have 3G and 16GB flash storage and out in November

I was thinking the same thing until someone pointed out to me that the USD399 price includes a contract period, so once you add in the subscription commitment quantum and duration, it pretty much works out to be pretty close.
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 19, 2007
ghoonk wrote:
rAMrAID wrote:Price is far too high considering in the US the price of the iphone has now dropped to $399 (approx 1500 AED)

I was thinking the same thing until someone pointed out to me that the USD399 price includes a contract period, so once you add in the subscription commitment quantum and duration, it pretty much works out to be pretty close.

No no, you but the phone, and then you sign up for the subscription, so the price is waaaaaay to high. $399 gets you a phone, and you activate it yourself with whatever carrier you want.

That's it, no more to pay.
^ian^

Sep 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

No no, you but the phone, and then you sign up for the subscription, so the price is waaaaaay to high. $399 gets you a phone, and you activate it yourself with whatever carrier you want.

Sounds good, question is, how do we get iPhones here without getting ripped off? Anyone heading over to the US?
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 23, 2007
I would wait before you buy an iphone and unlock it. Apple may release new firmware soon, that will just turn unlocked phones into an expensive paper weight. Be careful and wait until at least until the next firmware is released and see what happens!
rAMrAID
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2007
heh.. the iphone is out and already being sold... i hear that Geant at the IBM is selling it (IBM - Ibn Batouta Mall).

I've also got sources that tell me Carapelli, somewher in Bur Dubai is also selling it for the price of 2,200. AED 5,000/- is a little to much, I'm guessing my wait dint go useless.

I'll confirm with carapelli and geant tomorrow morning and let you guys know again for sure.

For the people who hate the phone... here is a website i want you to take a look at. its a 20 min video... but pleaassee look at it... I'm assuring you, your going to change your mind about future... umm what should we call it... SUPER MOBILE PHONES !!!
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2007
had forgot to mention the website.. dammed

here iPhone - a guided tour
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 06, 2007
Mashaal wrote:heh.. the iphone is out and already being sold... i hear that Geant at the IBM is selling it (IBM - Ibn Batouta Mall).

I can confirm Geant is selling them, just got back. 3299 1 year warranty and unlocked, I'm guessing it can't be an apple warranty but I didn't look at the details.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 06, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

This is incorrect, the US like the UK puts a huge subsidy on phones so that you contract to them for 12/18 months. In many cases we dont pay for our phones but new ones in great demand are offered to us hugely discounted.

Without the subsidy the phones are horrendously expensive in UK. However older phones (1 year plus) are much cheaper here than in Dubai.
arniegang

Oct 06, 2007
although I agree phones normally are heavily subsidized in North America, many even free if you sign up for a year the price of an iPhone is 399 with no obligated contract. I know this for a fact because my little cuz bought 4 of them last weekend in Seattle.

if you do the math that works about to about AED 1450, give about AED 200 for the unlock code that is AED 1650, but supply and demand, people in Dubai are willing to pay 3-4k, so can't blame retailers for selling them at this price but people who buy them are paying a high premium.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 08, 2007
fayz wrote:although I agree phones normally are heavily subsidized in North America, many even free if you sign up for a year the price of an iPhone is 399 with no obligated contract. I know this for a fact because my little cuz bought 4 of them last weekend in Seattle.

if you do the math that works about to about AED 1450, give about AED 200 for the unlock code that is AED 1650, but supply and demand, people in Dubai are willing to pay 3-4k, so can't blame retailers for selling them at this price but people who buy them are paying a high premium.

Well, thanks to Apple's latest update to the iPhones, if you try and buy one in the states now and unlock it for other providers, you'll end up with an iBrick.

Consider the cottage industry of iPhone unlocking closed for business, for the short term anyway.
^ian^

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk