Shipping Household Items Across From Uk

Topic locked
shipping household items across from uk Jun 10, 2007
Hi, we have got a shipment of household items going across to Dubai in a couple of weeks. Someone has told me that when they get there, all boxes are opened, and spread out on the floor and inspected. Is this true~? Will my smalls be there for all to see!!!!!!!!!!! Also , will they confiscate my computer to go through it - not that there is anything on it that shouldnt be.

lcfcfem
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 10, 2007
I think this depends on the customs official. When I shipped stuff over I had 2 boxes and when I went to collect them I filled in all the relevant forms and took a friend of mine who speaks arabic. He then told the customs official that the box contains personal effects only and not to open them up and waste any more time.

The official agreed and he gave me the boxes. I don't think they lay everything out for all to see though.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 10, 2007
i agree with xp, depends on who you have clear it. they may take interest in cd's, dvd's, magasines and books.

this inspection is really for show in anycase; most of what they are trying to prevent entering the country is already there and available if you wanted to find it.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 24, 2007
LCFC forever!!!
It's a small world.
From Humberstone!!

We had some stuff sent out 2 years ago.
Everything was received EXACTLY as we packed it.
All boxes were still sealed and totally intact.

I agree with the previous posters, if anything is opened, its more of a 'job being seen to be done', than anything else.
If you let me know who your stuff is being cleared with and how it has come to Dubai (sea or air) then may be able to give further advice on it getting to you
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum