The Koran And The Big Bang

Topic locked
The Koran and the big bang Dec 23, 2009
On another thread, a forum member, shafique, wrote the following:

Ultimately, the whole universe was brought into existence at the big bang (another belief I have that is corroborated by what the Quran says).

While I'm aware of the scientific miracles in the Koran - the Koran's accurate description that fresh water and salt water do not mix, the rejection of the modern theory of evolution and its belief that humans are descendants from lower primates, along with the mathematical and historical miracles in the Koran, such as the belief that the Jews worshiped Elijah, I would like to investigate this claim and look at the passage(s) in the Koran which talks of the creation of the universe.

So, I'll hand this off to shafique to cite the passage in the Koran which talks of the big bang and the formation of the universe.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Koran and the big bang Dec 23, 2009
Ok, fair enough.

Let us compare creation theories and what scripture says.

Eh- what is your view of creation. Do you believe God created the world as described in Genesis - or do you agree with scientific theories of the big bang?

Note also what I said above that the Quran 'corroborates' my view that the Big Bang is how the universe began - that God created everything in the Universe at a fixed point in the past (well, Time was also created at that point).

I'll happily show how the Quranic verses on creation tie in with a view that the universe is expanding and will contract again (a point that science hasn't yet agreed upon - whether the universe will continue to expand forever or whether it will at one point close in on itself - and some Christians dispute that the Big Bang ever occured - the so-called 'young earth' brigade)

I just want to confirm that I'm not wasting my time and debating with someone who believes in the 'young earth' theory - that the Bible is literally correct and that the earth was created 10s of thousands of years ago. It is futile to give arguments against this view - as it is just a matter of faith.

So eh - do you believe the Bible is literally true when it comes to creation, or do you believe Genesis is metaphorical?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I always find it fascinating how you always go off topic and demand answers from a poster after you are asked a question.

Now, can you provide the passages from the Koran which you believe discuss the origin of the universe and support the big bang theory.

Other passages in the Koran that are viewed as miraculous by some Muslims can also be addressed - such as the Koranic belief that humans do not share a common ancestor with lower primates or that fresh and salt water do not mix.
event horizon

How is asking about your view on creation going off topic?

If you are one of these 'young earth' guys who believe the Bible is literally correct and was created a few thousand years ago, then there is no point discussing creation theories with you.

I've not said I won't show you the Quranic verses that corroborate the Big Bang theory of creation - just that I wanted to know your stance on scriptural descriptions of creation.

Are you ashamed of your view?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

How is asking about your view on creation going off topic?

How is it not off topic?

I asked you to provide passages from the Koran in which you say support the current scientific theory for the big ban...and your response is to ask me what my view of creation is????

yawn.
event horizon

'Young earth' christians believe the Bible is literally true and that God created the universe in a week and that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

They believe that scripture must be interpreted literally and reject the view held by most Christians and Muslims that the creation descriptions in scripture can be interpreted metaphorically.

If you are a young-earth believer, then there is no point discussing with you either Quranic or Biblical accounts of creation, because you will argue we have to take what is written literally.

So, I think it is fair to ask whether you take the Biblical accounts of creation literally or not. If not, then we can move on and I'll show you the Quranic verses where God talks about the universe's creation, and I'll also throw in the Quranic verses which talk about how the universe will shrink in future..

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Koran and the big bang Dec 24, 2009
I'm ready to answer you question eh - just waiting for you to confirm your views on how old the earth is (in relation to what the Bible literally says vs science).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums