Religious Paradox

Topic locked
Religious Paradox Jul 28, 2005
Here is something for you to ponder-

Can God make a stone that is so heavy, he can't lift it?

Really think about this...........

Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jul 28, 2005
God doesn't have a corporial form that we know of. But in response to your question God could make a rock so heavy He cannot life it until He wills Himself to do so...

That is the mystery and greatness of His essense.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2005
I won't even attempt to try to answer such ..such....oh nevermind.
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 29, 2005
Just reply by saying Allah Akbar... God is Great...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 29, 2005
poor guy...
sweet mary
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 31, 2005
So he can't make such a heavy rock? If that's so, than God has limits :wink:
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jul 31, 2005
God does have certain things that He cannot do.
For example:

Lie - He Is TRUTH

Evil doings- (He may allow evil to take place but He does not cause it)

He cannot be challenged - For challenging Him is to bring disaster to yourself. Because He will always stand up to challenges.

He cannot be denied - For He is Almighty

God Bless Pumpkin
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 31, 2005
Completely off topic with religious quotes that do no good. Thanks abs!!!! Dont be afraid to actually answer the question next time.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jul 31, 2005
Go d is all-powerful, I understand that. So he can make a really heavy rock right? SO heavy in fact he can't lift it? It really throws a wrench in your thinking if you really ponder the question. He gave us free will, use it!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Jul 31, 2005
Dude I answered you. God would create a rock so heavy that He wouldn't be able to lift it (not that He has any arms in the conventional human sense). Of course, He would, He is God...

But remember this, because He is the All Powerful, if He chooses to will Himself to lift it then he shall....

Allah Akbar... God is Great....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Religious Paradox Aug 02, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Here is something for you to ponder-

Can God make a stone that is so heavy, he can't lift it?

Really think about this...........

here what Holy Quraan say :
Sura 30 .
[25] And among His Signs is this, that heaven and earth stand by His Command: then when He calls you, by a single call, from the earth, behold, ye (straightway) come forth.

[26] To Him belongs every being that is in the heavens and on earth: all are devoutly obedient to Him.

now ,, your question is contravesial ,,,, ( i am not sure about the spelling of the word controversial ) ,,, so this kind of questions doesnt lead you to discussion ,, God is capable of any thing ,, but if you say that god will create a stone and will not be able to lift it ,, then you will say the same ,, he has limits ,,, and this is what i ment by contraversial ,,,

but i wish that this rock doesnt fall on your head man , :lol:
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2005
I question everything!!!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:I question everything!!!

i dont have a problem with questions ,,,,, but man ,,, you will just keep thinking about this question all the time with no use ,, you will get nothing from it ..... coz both cases will lead you to the same thing . if ..... and if ..... so ,,,what is the use of IFs here ??????????
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2005
To make you think about something on your own, instead of believing the forced-fed tripe of others.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:To make you think about something on your own, instead of believing the forced-fed tripe of others.

i told you that i dont have any problem with questions ,,, even me myself i ask questions ,,, once ,, few years ago ,, i started thinking about being a muslim ,,why ??? only coz my parents are muslims ??? and so what ? and i said to my self what if there is no God ,, why are we so concious about it ??? but i was fair enough to question ,and search things . so i started questioning almost everything ,,,till i got totally convesed with Isalm, not coz somebody persuaded me to admit it . and i must say that questioning is healthy ,, you will not be a human being if you dont question. Prophet Muhammad pbuh,,, before he was chosen to be a Prophet ,, he used to go to a cave in the mountains surrounding Mecca and keep thinking about the universe and its greatness. even Quraan urged to question and ask to get to the right things . with yourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mind and heart .

now back to your question ,,,

can you define GOD ???????? i mean describe him for us ? to answer you if he is capable of what you asked about or not ,, i need to know his definition ??? can you ??
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2005
See, your questioning brought you to fully embrace Islam. As for who or what God is or can be defined as, I have absolutely no clue, and it wasn't my original question. I am not a "religious" person, it is sufficient for me to just believe in God, what is really the point in anything else?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:See, your questioning brought you to fully embrace Islam. As for who or what God is or can be defined as, I have absolutely no clue, and it wasn't my original question. I am not a "religious" person, it is sufficient for me to just believe in God, what is really the point in anything else?

ok ,, i know that it was not your original question ,, and i know you are not a religious one ,,but a believer in God . ok.

i wanted to get to your question thru my question ,and here it goes .

for the difinition of God ,, you have two possibilities ,, i mean you can think about him only one of two ways:

1- according to the laws and regulations of this life ,,, i mean like the laws that all the creatures controlled by . if he is like them ,, then some one else must have created God himself . so in this case his ability would be limited ,,, ( god forgive me ) .

2- God is out of the circle of the laws that he himself has created ,,, (( God is Supreme but is not necessarily a Being.)) ,,, coz we define a being as a thing created or made by someone ,, who we believe its God. now ,, quality quantity , size , numbers , ..... etc . are things of what he created and are related to the laws that he also has created . now ,, about the Rock , the main thing you were asking about is ,its size ,, and size is created by god himself . so ,, if he has created even the size itself as a measuring method of the Rock ,, dont you think that he is able to create an elndless sized Rock??? i think you do as you said you believe in God .Now , about that he would be able to lift it or not ,,, ability here is out of our circle of laws ,,, that again we are controlled by ,,, its an absolute ability ,,,but maybe you would ask another question ,, How would he lift it ??? well,, again ,, using the same law of "how" that has been created by God . So,, how and when ,, and where ,, doesnt apply to God ,,, who created all these things to conrol our life ( i dont mean that he created those in life to enable him to control our life ,,, but to enable us to live in organized world) maybe there is another set of laws ,, who knows, but anyway ,,, when we think about these things ,, we only use our brain which is already has been created to go with the laws that has been created for us . and getting God involved within the same laws he created is the mistake ,, coz again he is out of it ,,, Can you for example determine the size of God himself ??? we cant apply the word size itself to God .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 04, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Completely off topic with religious quotes that do no good. Thanks abs!!!! Dont be afraid to actually answer the question next time.

hahahahahaa!!!!!
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 30, 2005
[quote="abs"]God does have certain things that He cannot do.
For example:

Lie - He Is TRUTH

He cannot be challenged - For challenging Him is to bring disaster to yourself. Because He will always stand up to challenges.

God Bless Pumpkin[/quote]

Hello Abs,

First time I reply to your comments. I'm a UAE national from Abu Dhabi.

Wouldn't you say that we are sometimes blurred by our own perception? What do you qualify as an evil doing? Natural Disasters? I might be speaking from an Islamic perspective but would you consider that it is the Lord demonstrating his might? Or to put it in different words, "the natural order of the world"? Or do you mean that God allows "evil" to happen because it relates to the very essence of Judgement day?

You say God is limited to certain aspects (ex: cannot lie). I definitely agree but to simply say that would be giving God human characteristics.

What do you think? I look forwards to your perspective.
samy_solo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 30, 2005
Only God can answer your Q

He is not yet registered here - try other forums
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Oct 25, 2005
samy_solo wrote:
abs wrote:God does have certain things that He cannot do.
For example:

Lie - He Is TRUTH

God Bless Pumpkin

Hello Abs,

First time I reply to your comments. I'm a UAE national from Abu Dhabi.

Wouldn't you say that we are sometimes blurred by our own perception? What do you qualify as an evil doing? Natural Disasters? I might be speaking from an Islamic perspective but would you consider that it is the Lord demonstrating his might? Or to put it in different words, "the natural order of the world"? Or do you mean that God allows "evil" to happen because it relates to the very essence of Judgement day?

You say God is limited to certain aspects (ex: cannot lie). I definitely agree but to simply say that would be giving God human characteristics.

What do you think? I look forwards to your perspective.

He created the universe in 7 days, and he cannot lie? You believe God is all-powerful....except for the things that suck. In the Bible, it said that God a vengeful and destroyed cities towns and whole peoples, why the change of heart all of a sudden? Are we freaking up less now? Didnt he tell us not to kill? Lead by example is all I'm saying :wink:
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Oct 25, 2005
RobertS wrote:Only God can answer your Q

He is not yet registered here - try other forums

You are wrong my son, i am right here ..

wassup ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 31, 2005
Ok, i'll not comment in some really ignorant and provocative replies.
Pumpkin,
I think already "Castellano" said what i would say the perfect answer.
Also Liban illustrated a very good point, your understanding of God as "Being" while he is not.

Also i would emphasis more on Castellano point about God is the Creator, and the laws he created doesn't apply to himself, so God doesn't die and born, he doesn't breath and get sick. God is God, He is AlMighty so we belive in him as entity, (Kaian in arabic) hope my english didn't fail me in this word, that we don't understand and our minds cannot comprehend or think about its rules and status.
Human mind is limited to what he interact too. so for example a blind person doesn't understand colors, we will keep discribing and telling difference so he will have some info or idea about it but will never know how it looks like.

Hope i made point and didn't confuse of said something wrong by intention or mistake, may god forgive me if i did so.

Anyway, for "castellano" I have been through the same journey. Read the book called "convesation with my pagan friend" (7ewar ma3a sadiki al mol7ed) by moustafa mahmoud, very nice and answer alot of taboos questions.

samy_solo, Totally agree with you against "abs"

abs, Please don't make assumptions in such senstive topics.

God is capable of everything, he is not limited, and we cannot use earthly matters, situations, actions nor anything to judge him, AND HOW DARE WE JUDGE ALMIGHTY ??????????????

God forgive us all

Cheers mates ;)
yshimy

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums