It's Over...

Topic locked
It's over... Aug 12, 2006
Monday, 7AM, official cease fire...

Oh man, let's just hope this is the last time Lebanon goes through this... Now's the time to rebuild.

Hope I can go spend a few days there now... Wonder when the airport will reopen

Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 12, 2006
Dont know why the cease fire cant be NOW!!!

Anyways, I hope the israelies will stick to this cease fire.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 13, 2006
Can't be now....!!!!

Ask Israel, they moved forward once the decision was taken
yshimy

Aug 13, 2006
At last, we won
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 13, 2006
Corcs, with all due respect there are no winners in this situation. Everybody lost.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 13, 2006
Corcovado wrote:At last, we won

:shock: :?:

Who's "we" and what did you "win"?

I assumed you were Lebanese - in which case you've "won" replacement of Hizbullah in southern Lebanon by the UN and Lebanese army (probably ineffective) since the terms of the ceasefire require resolution 1559 to be implemented. And Israel will exit Lebanon. Mind you, they weren't there two months ago.

The cost of that prize is destruction of Lebanese infrastructure, tourism, economy, not to mention the now homeless Lebanese and distraught families.

Oh wait, you've got the Shebaa farms now. Or will that go back to Syria?

If you're Israeli you've "won" nothing much that I can see - perhaps implementation of resolution 1559 if the UN and Lebanese armies are effective at disarming Hizbullah (not sure how likely that is). The two kidnapped soldiers remain kidnapped unless removal of all Israeli military from Lebanese territory includes them.

I suppose Olmert has shown he's prepared to fight and is therefore more popular with the Israeli public.

If you're Iranian/Hizbullah, you've "won" some respect from the Arab world because you showed that you could stand up to the Israelis. But everyone knew that Hizbullah backed by Iran could do that anyway. For a short while at least. The action is worth less than the threat though. What will Hizbullah/Iran do now to prove how powerful they are? Go back to kidnappings and suicide bombs as in the 80s?

I'm struggling to think of a "winner" anywhere out of this mess.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 13, 2006
From the BBC...

But Israel's army says it will not leave southern Lebanon until regular Lebanese troops are deployed there, supported by an expanded UN force.

Hezbollah says it has the right to continue attacks until the last Israeli soldier has left Lebanese soil.

Since the UN and Lebanese troops will take days to deploy, the Israelis will stay, Hizbullah will continue to attack them (especially if they keep those two kidnapped soldiers on Lebanese soil), Israel will retaliate and that doesn't sound like a ceasefire to me :? ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 13, 2006
Not to mention both sides will be unleashing as much as they can up until 7 am. It's basically saying you have 24 hours to try and pound the crap out of your enemy, and then take a breather.

Of course, it could also show once and for how toothless the UN really is.

Nobody wins in war.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 13, 2006
oh man...

can we try to stick only to the important part: Violence stops, no more civilans die. I honestly don't give a crap about anything else. And yes, no1 won...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 13, 2006
You are right Nick81, let's look at the positive - the violence will cease!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 13, 2006
well shar

for the first time ever israel is getting hit on its own ground , for a month the Unconquerable army couldnt do anything to the resistance but kill the innocents, and destroy Lebanese infra structure and Hezbollah's missiles did not stop … I think in 1967, Israel won over Egypt, Syria and Jordan in 6 DAYS..!! And couldn’t do any major harm to the resistance so we won, Israel knows that her image as a powerful country with an unbeatable army has been shaken. .for the people who believed in freedom and stood infront of Israel ..LEBANON IS A WINNER
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 13, 2006
Sadly I doubt anyone with relatives who died will see it that way.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 13, 2006
Its over because our paki brothers made hassle in UK :lol: Say thanks to me please :P

Tomorrow we have independence day of Pakistan , we kicked British out from India in 1947 :lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 13, 2006
Stop being a troll.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 13, 2006
Also here's the other catch, watching the news and they're saying that the Israelis have only agreed to stop 'offensive' fire, not 'defensive' fire.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 13, 2006
Corcovado wrote:well shar

for the first time ever israel is getting hit on its own ground , for a month the Unconquerable army couldnt do anything to the resistance but kill the innocents, and destroy Lebanese infra structure and Hezbollah's missiles did not stop … I think in 1967, Israel won over Egypt, Syria and Jordan in 6 DAYS..!! And couldn’t do any major harm to the resistance so we won, Israel knows that her image as a powerful country with an unbeatable army has been shaken. .for the people who believed in freedom and stood infront of Israel ..LEBANON IS A WINNER

:shock: :?: :?:
First time ever? Suicide bombers have succeeded before (admittedly, not from Hizbullah in recent years although they have successfully attacked Israelis in Israel since 2000).

Yes, Israel got a surprise at the tenacity of Hizbullah. My point is, look at the carnage left behind in Lebanon. I hardly think Lebanon has won anything. They've lost a lot though.

No major harm to the resistance? What part of the resistance are you talking about? Infrastructure, weapons, people have been harmed a lot.

A winner is someone who achieves their objective. Hizbullah's stated objective is to wipe out Israel, they hardly did that. Lebanon's objective is presumably to live in peace and rebuild their country after the Israeli exit in 2000. That's been shattered. Israel's objective was to get back their kidnapped soldiers and destroy Hizbullah. That's not happened. Iran's objective? Who knows. Maybe they're the winners.

You sound happy. I don't really understand why but I suppose that's a good thing considering how distraught you sounded during the past few weeks.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 13, 2006
There is no doubt that, from the military point of view, Israel lost this war big time. Not a single objective was met. Hezballah is not affected. It became clear that the Israeli army is not something to be afraid of.

Of course civilians suffered, but that was not the announced military objective.

In the end, I wish that Lebanon gets back on its feet, and becomes once again prosperous and shining.
MS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 14, 2006
MS wrote:There is no doubt that, from the military point of view, Israel lost this war big time. Not a single objective was met. Hezballah is not affected. It became clear that the Israeli army is not something to be afraid of.

Of course civilians suffered, but that was not the announced military objective.

In the end, I wish that Lebanon gets back on its feet, and becomes once again prosperous and shining.

thank u dear , it sure will ... we will forever rise ..and shar... please read the political reviews and the israeli newspapers ...they are the ones saying that israel lost the battle
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 14, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
Corcovado wrote:At last, we won

:shock: :?:

Who's "we" and what did you "win"?

I assumed you were Lebanese - in which case you've "won" replacement of Hizbullah in southern Lebanon by the UN and Lebanese army (probably ineffective) since the terms of the ceasefire require resolution 1559 to be implemented. And Israel will exit Lebanon. Mind you, they weren't there two months ago.

The cost of that prize is destruction of Lebanese infrastructure, tourism, economy, not to mention the now homeless Lebanese and distraught families.

Great post SW

Oh wait, you've got the Shebaa farms now. Or will that go back to Syria?

If you're Israeli you've "won" nothing much that I can see - perhaps implementation of resolution 1559 if the UN and Lebanese armies are effective at disarming Hizbullah (not sure how likely that is). The two kidnapped soldiers remain kidnapped unless removal of all Israeli military from Lebanese territory includes them.

I suppose Olmert has shown he's prepared to fight and is therefore more popular with the Israeli public.

If you're Iranian/Hizbullah, you've "won" some respect from the Arab world because you showed that you could stand up to the Israelis. But everyone knew that Hizbullah backed by Iran could do that anyway. For a short while at least. The action is worth less than the threat though. What will Hizbullah/Iran do now to prove how powerful they are? Go back to kidnappings and suicide bombs as in the 80s?

I'm struggling to think of a "winner" anywhere out of this mess.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 14, 2006
the freaking Israelis left toys-like bombs to kill the babies and children :evil: :evil: :evil: i hate them, I HATE THEM ALL... i cant believe their guts , they are murderes , evil creatures :evil: :evil:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 14, 2006
Corcovado wrote:the f$#king Israelis left toys-like bombs to kill the babies and children :evil: :evil: :evil: i hate them, I HATE THEM ALL... i cant believe their guts , they are murderes , evil creatures :evil: :evil:

That should aerate your spleen quite well :shock: .

Where did you get this information? I can't find it. So far the only reference I've found to toy bombs is dated 2003.

Are they evil because they're Israeli or because they leave toy bombs?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 14, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
Corcovado wrote:the f$#king Israelis left toys-like bombs to kill the babies and children :evil: :evil: :evil: i hate them, I HATE THEM ALL... i cant believe their guts , they are murderes , evil creatures :evil: :evil:

That should aerate your spleen quite well :shock: .

Where did you get this information? I can't find it. So far the only reference I've found to toy bombs is dated 2003.

Are they evil because they're Israeli or because they leave toy bombs?

can u please stop acting like Mr.know it all? :x i hate them because they are murderers and they kill innocents cold blooded and now they left behind thousands of bombs and al jazeera wrote about the toy bombs :evil: :evil:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 14, 2006
Corcovado wrote:can u please stop acting like Mr.know it all? :x i hate them because they are murderers and they kill innocents cold blooded and now they left behind thousands of bombs and al jazeera wrote about the toy bombs :evil: :evil:

:shock:

I don't know it all, that's why I'm asking questions and looking for information. If my questions annoy you, you don't have to answer them.

I looked on Al Jazeera (website) already and didn't see anything, that's why I thought I'd ask.

So you can call me Mr Blind Knowitall now.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 14, 2006
I wouldn't trust Al Jazeera either, they're guilty of being a propaganda machine.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I wouldn't trust Al Jazeera either, they're guilty of being a propaganda machine.

Al Jazzera are very honest and they didnt hide anything from the world they even broadcast Qana's massacre live on air .
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 14, 2006
Corcovado, Al Jazeera is not 100% honest in its reporting.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 14, 2006
That's the problem Corcs. I disagree with their policies, I think they play into the hands of those who would cause destruction by giving them an outlet to show their horrid videos of murder and massacre. I think they're thoroughly irresponsible and biased. Plus the fact that not one other news agency has reported it, also raises suspicions.

Once again you have to be objective. If I see a story on something, I always, always go searching to see who else is carrying it, and at this time, surprise surprise, no-one else is. And for something as provocative as that that, everyone would have picked it up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
I also agree with Sahrewadi, after googling, yahooing and msning, the only story that has been thrown up is from 2003. Until another news wire picks it up, I'll treat their story as incitement.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:That's the problem Corcs. I disagree with their policies, I think they play into the hands of thoe who would cause destruction by giving them an outlet to show their horrid videos of murder and massacre. I think they're thoroughly irrepsonsible and biased. Plus the fact that not one other news agency has reported it, also raises suspicions.

Once again you have to be objective. If I see a story on something, I always, always go searching to see who else is carrying it, and at this time, surprise surprise, no-one else is. And for something as provocative as that that, everyone would have picked it up.

like who? BBC or Sky news or the american Channels ?? All they were showing was the israelis shocked or crying or whatever... they didnt give a shit about arabs and al jazeera as an arab station must broadcast what the western stations are trying 2 hide from the world
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 14, 2006
Corcs, when I see you in person I'll tell you some stories I heard from a very reliable source. All media has its own slant, and to me Al Jazeera is as bad as Fox - so that is pretty bad. I have watched both CNN and BBC during this crisis and they are definitley telling both sides. The BBC has been more equitable compared to CNN.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums