Koran And Science

Topic locked
Re: Koran And Science Jul 26, 2010
Let me know what you find confusing with the two numbered responses I gave.

Please let's not have another round of you imagining things and asking me to justify your fantasies. It gets a bit weary at times.

I understand you're still smarting from having to admit that the Bible does contain scientific absurdities.. but I'm willing to play along and back up Prof Salam's statement that no Quranic verse describing natural events is contradicted by science.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 26, 2010
1. No science does not support your interpretation of these verses.

Great, so you agree with me that the Koran is scientifically wrong that ants can communicate with humans.

Let alone are capable of the complex speech/cognitive abilities the Koran accredits them with.

2. Al Naml refers to a tribe with that name.

LoL.

So your argument is that verse about talking ants actually refers to tribes people ?

Hmm, let's see the evidence.

Perhaps they're really small tribes people ?
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Koran And Science Jul 26, 2010
We're getting there.

Science does not indeed support your interpretation of the Quran. Check.

Yes, 'Al Naml' refers to a tribe's name (of people).

Well done - you understood.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 26, 2010
Well, I can't give you point for originality.

Looks like another Qadiani tried unsuccessfully to claim that the valley of the ants actually refers to a tribe - those tribes people must have been awfully small if they feared they would be crushed by Solomon without him actually noticing (kind of like stepping on an ant).

There are some modern translators and commentators of the Qur'an who realize the problem and want to understand these stories either as allegories (e.g. Muhammad Asad, see the article The Qur'an and Myths for quotations) or they completely reinterpret them in order to remove all mythological elements (e.g. the Ahmadiyya scholar Maulana Muhammad Ali). Ahmadiyya Muslims do not believe in miracles, and try to delete everything miraculous from the Qur'an. In the following, as one example, just a couple of verses from Surah 27 together with excerpts from Ali's copious footnotes:

16 And Solomon was David's heir, and he said: O men, we have been taught the speech of birds,[1844] and we have been granted of all things. Surely this is manifest grace.
17 And his hosts of the jinn and the men and the birds were gathered to Solomon, and they were formed into groups.[1846]
18 Until when they came to the valley of Naml,[1847] a Namlite said: O Naml, enter your houses, (lest) Solomon and his hosts crush you, while they know not. ...
20 And he reviewed the birds, then said: How is it I see not Hudhud, or is it that he is one of the absentees?[1849]
21 I will certainly punish him with a severe punishment, or kill him, or he shall bring me a clear excuse.

1844 ... Solomon's understanding of the speech of birds may imply the use he made of birds in conveying messages from one place to another, these messages being metaphorically called the speech of birds. ... Note also that Solomon does not speak of himself alone; his people are included when he is made to say: We have been taught. This shows that his people also knew that speech.

1846 The hosts of Solomon are here divided into three classes, the jinn, the men, and the tair. As regards the jinn, it has been shown in 1647 that these were men belonging to certain mountain tribes whom Solomon had subjugated. Tair may mean either birds or horse, i.e., cavalry. The gathering together of all three classes and their division into groups shows that all three were human beings. ... tair (the word used here) is a plural, may also be applied to swift animals such as horses. ... Thus the context taken in the light of these explanations would justify the conclusion that tair here means horse, i.e., cavalry, because it could be moved quickly. ...

1847 Many of the fables regarding Solomon have been due to a misconception of the word naml. It should be noted that wadi-l-Naml cannot be properly translated as the valley of the ants, for Naml is a proper noun ... the valley of the Naml is situated between Jibrin and 'Asqalan. And Namlah is the name of a tribe, like Mazin, which literally signifies the eggs of the ants. Namil means a clever man ... the Namlah are plainly spoken of as a tribe in the Qamus, which says under the word barq, Abriqah is of the waters of Namlah.

1849 The opening words may mean either a review of birds or a review of horses; see 1848. By Hudhud is not to be understood the lapwing, but a person of that name. In every language many of the proper names given to men will be found to be identical with the names of animals. The Arab writers speak of a king of Himyat as Hudad (LA), which is almost identical with Hudhud mentioned in the Qur'an. The Bible speaks of a king of Syria, named Ben Hadad (I Kings 15:18, etc.) ... This shows that there is nothing strange in such a name being given to men. The verses that follow show clearly that Solomon was speaking of one of his own officers: the infliction of severe punishment on a small bird by such a mighty monarch, as Solomon, and the exposition of the great religious doctrine of Unity by the lawping, are quite inconceivable.

(Source: Maulana Muhammad Ali, The Holy Qur'an: Arabic Text, English Translation and Commentary, Ahmadiyyah Anjuman Ishaa'at Islam, Lahore, Inc. U.S.A, 1995, pp. 730-32; bold emphasis mine)

Contrary to Zaman, Muhammad Ali has realized how truly embarrassing these stories are, and how damaging to the credibility of the Qur'an. Thus, he works very hard to ‘de-mythologize’ them, detail for detail. However, he seemingly overlooked in this transformation of naml into a human being of the tribe of Namlites, that it would be rather strange for Solomon and his soldiers to crush a whole group of men without even noticing, ... unless Muhammad Ali imagines the members of this particular tribe to be of very very small stature, maybe about the size of an ant!

http://www.answering-islam.org/Response ... .htm#part3

So not only is the belief that the valley of the ants refers to a tribes people a revisionist argument by a small sect within Islam, the missionary Qadiani fails to grasp what the actual verse says - I'll quote it again just to highlight the fact that the ants really were ants:

Until when they came to the valley of Naml,[1847] a Namlite said: O Naml, enter your houses, (lest) Solomon and his hosts crush you, while they know not. ...

How is it possibly to travel through a village and crush tribes people without even knowing it ?

LoL.

Sorry, your reinterpretations don't even pass the most basic tests in common sense.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 27, 2010
Did Solomon crush the villagers? You're asking how is it possible for an army to crush a whole village? May I refer you to the Bible and the descriptions of scorched earth policy carried out by the Israelites - especially the one where 32,000 virgins were taken captive after the rest of the populations was slaughtered (which you refuse to condemn as a crime).

I refer you to point one of my response:
1. No science does not support your interpretation of these verses.

So, I'm not sure what your objection to the explanation is - that YOU desperately want to believe that ants became human or that ants spoke, rather than accept that God is referring to a tribe called Al Naml? I guess you'll argue that the people of Abu Dhabi are actually antelopes transformed into humans (Abu Dhabi means 'father of antelope')!! ;)

Next.

Nice try though batman - but epic fail again.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 27, 2010
Did Solomon crush the villagers? You're asking how is it possible for an army to crush a whole village? May I refer you to the Bible and the descriptions of scorched earth policy carried out by the Israelites - especially the one where 32,000 virgins were taken captive after the rest of the populations was slaughtered (which you refuse to condemn as a crime).

What ?

LoL.

The loon doesn't read.

I asked how is it possible for Solomon to crush a village without even noticing it.

LoL.

The actual text of the Koran does not support your argument. Instead, you lift your argument from a Qadiani source that also does not bother to address what the Koran actually says.

But hey, just quote a non-Qadiani source that the verse refers to people, not ants.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 27, 2010
C'mon, admit it - you're just smarting that you've been found out. There's a simple explanation for the verse and you weren't aware of it.

Just because you believe that the sun can stop in the sky for a day because the Bible says so, does not mean that the Quran also contains scientific absurdities. It doesn't, sorry.

If YOU want to believe that Abu Dhabi people are descended from antelope, or that the Al Naml are literally ants - then you're free to do so. Rational Muslims don't have to give up science and believe in scientific absurdities like the sun stopping in the sky for a day actually took place.

You are the one, it seems, that likes to believe in fantastical descriptions of events that defy science. Trying to prove that the Quran is like the Bible in this regard is going to cause you nothing but frustration.

And what's the point - in the end you'll only end up showing that the Quran is like the Bible - in that you believe both have fantastical descriptions of events which you think happened despite them being unscientific?

But hey, I've addressed the issue of the villagers of Al Naml - do you have another one you want to try?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 28, 2010
There's a simple explanation for the verse and you weren't aware of it.

And what was the explanation again ?

Just provide one non-Qadiani that agrees with the nonsense your Qadiani scholar claims.

I can't wait for you to get to your 'simple' explanation behind Jesus' animation of clay birds.

If YOU want to believe that Abu Dhabi people are descended from antelope

Yeah, let me know when you feel like addressing the actual contents of the verse.

So, how is it possible for Solomon to trample an entire tribe without even knowing it ?

Pray tell. Those villagers must have been the size of an ant.

But hey, I've addressed the issue of the villagers of Al Naml - do you have another one you want to try?

Delusional as always.

If it were that simple, why is it universally accepted that that verse is referring to ants and not people ?
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 28, 2010
I thought I was very clear with my precise answers:

shafique wrote:1. No science does not support your interpretation of these verses.
2. Al Naml refers to a tribe with that name.

I know that believing Solomon could converse with small ants is less bizare than believing the Sun stopped in the sky for a day, but I'll go for the less absurd explanation every time.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Great, let's see the evidence.

Your one line answer is far from compelling once one actually reads the verse in question (something you have failed to address) and considers the fact that it is universally accepted that ants means ants.

If your nonsense logic is so simple, can you provide a non-Qadiani source that makes the same claim ?
event horizon

Are you saying that my explanation is 'nonsense' because it doesn't accord with your interpretation, or because it can't explain what is written?

I guess you can't argue that my explanation means I don't have to suspend belief in science.

As I said, if we interpret the verse literally then point 1 applies. However, I have no reason to believe that the verse isn't literally about little ants that spoke to Solomon.

I happen to believe that we only jump to fantastical explanations when there aren't simple solutions available.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

As I said, if we interpret the verse literally then point 1 applies. However, I have no reason to believe that the verse isn't literally about little ants that spoke to Solomon.

The passage is pretty clear to me - it talks of ants.

What is interesting is that Qadianis seem to be the only ones who believe the verse refers to humans.

Even Western convert apologists to Islam only go so far as saying it's a myth, like the story of the ants and the cricket.
event horizon

shafique wrote:Are you saying that my explanation is 'nonsense' because it doesn't accord with your interpretation, or because it can't explain what is written?

Are you avoiding this question too?

Do you have any evidence that Al Naml weren't a tribe of humans?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 29, 2010
Do you have evidence that slave-girls in the Koran are not the equivalent of animals ?

Thought not.

Now, it should go without saying that your Qadiani interpretation is suspect.

After all, you can't find me a non-Qadiani scholar who believes that the talking ants refers to humans.

More, your interpretation does not support the actual verse from the Koran.

It says the ants were fearful that Solomon would trample their habitat without him even noticing.

Now, those villagers must have been pretty small if you can trample a village without people doing the trampling noticing such a deed.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 29, 2010
Yes, of course I have a basis for my choice of interpretations - it is called common sense.

As I said, if there is a perfectly rational explanation, I prefer that to believing that God breaks the laws of nature just because eh wants us to think like he does.

Again, I refer you to point 1 of my explanation - and point out that we only have to reject science if we reject the rational interpretation and adopt your chosen interpretation (which is less fantastical, it should be noted, than your belief that the earth stopped rotating for a day).

I asked you whether you had any evidence that the Al Naml weren't a tribe of people - and you can produce nothing but your interpretation that 'they must be ants, not people'. In the absence of any evidence that they were literally ants, I'll choose the less fantastical interpretation every time.

No amount of repetition will change my rational decision about which interpretation to believe is more likely.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 29, 2010
If you want a reason as to why ants are the universally accepted speakers in that verse, then you should ask any Muslim and they'll explain the reason to you.

I've already argued that verse itself does not explain your interpretation - that when the verse says ants, it really refers to ants since it would be ridiculous to believe that Solomon would be able to trample a human village without even noticing.

So far, you have been unable to explain the actual verse.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 29, 2010
So, you do want me to join you and reject science and believe that a fantastical event happened, even though in this case we have an alternative explanation?

May I respectfully decline your invitation and stay with those who don't reject science, as tempting as your invitation to join you in your chosen interpretation is.

So, in our discussions you are the only who has so far rejected science and chosen to believe a scientific absurdity - that the sun stopped in the sky for a day. It's fascinating how you're trying to get me to join you in believing scientific absurdities - do you really think you'll be able to get me to join you?

As I said, everytime there's a choice between a rational explanation and one that requires rejecting science, I'll choose rationality.

In this case, you haven't given any evidence to show that there wasn't a tribe called Al Naml. So why should I reject this rational explanation?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 30, 2010
So, you do want me to join you and reject science and believe that a fantastical event happened, even though in this case we have an alternative explanation?

That the tribes-people were pygmies ?

As for an explanation, why haven't you quoted a non-Qadiani commentary saying these ants were people and not ants ?

If this was so obvious, then is it that ants are universally believed to have been the participants in the verse in question ?

Surely others would have thought the speakers were people if it only took a single sentence to offer an alternative explanation.

But we can see that the verse in question does not support your explanation. I can only imagine that the Arabic does not, either.
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 30, 2010
Again with your fantasies?

I totally agree that you desperately want to believe in the interpretation that disregards science - that is your choice.

Unless you have any evidence that there wasn't a tribe called the 'Al Naml' (just like there is a place called 'Abu Dhabi' - father of antelope) then it comes down to a choice of whether to reject science or accept the rational explanation.

Thus far, I repeat, you are the only one who has chosen to reject science. I am amused by your desperate attempts to get me to join you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 30, 2010
Just let me know when you find a non-Qadiani commentary that agrees with the linguistic nonsense of your missionary source.

In the mean time, perhaps you can comment on the size of the villagers. The Koran says that the ants were fearful that Solomon would trample their abode without even realizing it.

They must have been small villagers - perhaps the size of an ant ?
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 30, 2010
So, you don't have any evidence that there wasn't a tribe called the 'Al Naml' and insist I agree with you that we should reject a rational explanation and accept a fantastical version that means rejecting science.

Should you have some evidence that my rational explanation CANNOT apply, I'll happily review it. Asking me to side with you in rejecting science is a choice I won't make - because the rational explanation is available.

I can't see where God says that the villagers were fearful that Solomon would step on the villagers (God just says 'crush you' and doesn't use the word 'foot'), but hey this is not the first example of us disagreeing on interpretations.

At least you don't dispute the fact that between the two of us, you are the only one who has chosen to reject science and believe in a scientific absurdity - i.e. the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day. That explains your desperation in trying to find a way to get me to join you.

Perhaps on your next attempt?

Cheers,
Shafique

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Jul 31, 2010
till, when they came on the Valley of Ants, an ant said, 'Ants, enter your dwelling-places, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you, being unaware!'

Unaware
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for confirming that God does not use the word 'foot'.

As for what Solomon and his army would be unaware of should they have destroyed the village is again subject to interpretation. You think it refers to little ants being crushed underfoot - I disagree with the premise and reject the irrational in favour of the rational.

But I'm glad your hypocrisy has now been fully exposed.

Your argument for believing in a scientific absurdity in the Bible is that 'it is a one-off miracle and you are being silly in asking for a scientific explanation for the sun stopping in the sky - the Bible says it happened and I believe it - it was a miracle'.

I can't see why you can't use exactly the same argument to explain your interpretation of ants speaking to Solomon? (Even though there is a rational explanation that does not require giving up science).

Care to explain?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I can't see why you can't use exactly the same argument to explain your interpretation of ants speaking to Solomon? (Even though there is a rational explanation that does not require giving up science).

The Koran doesn't present the story as being miraculous.

Muslim apologists have argued this point previously:

An obvious first question is whether this is a miracle, an entirely supernatural event, and therefore not subject to scientific evaluation. Zaman expresses this conviction twice in his article:

Firstly, have you ever heard of something called a "miracle" associated with something called a "prophet"? If Moses can part the Red Sea, Solomon hearing the communication of ants is nothing. ...

The fact is that these are miracles and you aren't supposed to try and "scientifically explain" them anyways.

I agree that it would be inappropriate to subject the supernatural to scientific scrutiny. There may be some supernatural elements in the narrative. Nevertheless, not ALL parts of the story can be exempted from scientific evaluation on that basis.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Menj/ants.htm

So the story is not presented as a miracle and subjecting it to 'scientific scrutiny is not uncalled for.

Anyways, I await your commentary from non-Qadiani sources that say the talking ants were really humans.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:

The Koran doesn't present the story as being miraculous.

Huh?

You believe the Quran says that ants spoke to Solomon and he understood it. You believe the Bible when it says the Sun stopped in the sky for a day - and believe this to be 'a miracle' (and that it took place).

Are you suggesting that the Quran is saying that generally, all Prophets called Solomon can understand ants (according to your interpretation) and that this is presented as a general event? How is it 'general' if it only applies to Solomon? :? :shock:

You're losing young one - you can't hide the hypocrisy any longer. Sorry.

You are the only one who has so far rejected science. (And why quote from loon websites - I've been pretty clear in this thread and given you a rational explanation of the Quranic verse - you are the one who wishes to reject the rational and believe in the irrational)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Do you have any credible source that agrees with your Qadiani nonsense ?
event horizon

Re: Koran And Science Aug 01, 2010
When you have a credible source for the existence some talking ants rather than a tribe called Al Naml, get back to me, til then I will stick with the rational explanation of the verse.

I take it you have no evidence, and therefore it is bizare that you think I will reject a rational explanation in favour of your one.

I continue to note that you are only one who has so far rejected science and believes a scientific absurdity - just because the Bible told you it happened.

I understand your frustration that you haven't got a rational explanation for the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day, and have to say 'it was a miracle, it did happen, the Bible says so'. Fortunately for rational Muslims, we don't have to resort to this excuse for any Quranic verse.

However, your hypocrisy is now very, very clear. Bible contains scientific absurdities - but is the Word of God, Quran does not contain absurdities but you wish it did - so that you can 'prove' that the Quran is not the word of God (for, bizarely, containing allegedly scientific absurdities like the Bible?)

Isn't your head spinning?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Koran and Science Aug 01, 2010
When you have a credible source for the existence some talking ants rather than a tribe called Al Naml, get back to me, til then I will stick with the rational explanation of the verse.

Are you kidding me ?

http://www.quran4u.com/Tafsir%20Ibn%20K ... 0Namal.htm

http://www.quran4u.com/Tafsiraya/027%20Naml.htm

Both commentators agree that ants were the speakers. Ali says that the passage was 'symbolic' and shouldn't be interpreted literally.

Your turn - which non-Qadiani argues that the ants were people and not ants.
event horizon

No, I'm not kidding you.

I'm asking you whether you have any evidence that there wasn't a village called Al Naml.

I'm also not kidding when I tell you that I'll always choose the logical/rational explanation instead of rejecting science like you have done in the case of the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day (but to be fair, you couldn't think of a scientific explanation for that, did you?)

Thus far, I repeat, you are the only one who has chosen to reject science. I am amused by your desperate attempts to get me to join you

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May I ask whether you also believe that Donkey's can talk (I know my kids think they speak like Eddie Murphy - but they recognise this only happens in Shrek!):

Numbers 22:28-30,
28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

It appears that there are indeed some Christians that believe this literally happened (others say it was a dream or that the braying was interpreted.. etc).

Do you believe that the Bible's description of a talking Donkey literally happened? Yes or no??

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums