Develop Courage And Broad Mind

Topic locked
Develop Courage and Broad Mind Jan 19, 2009
Develop Courage and Broad Mind

I belong to Hindu religion. It does not mean that I will praise every tradition of My religion. I have the courage to criticize the bad tradition of My religion and reject it. I have the broad mind to praise a good tradition of other religion. When I praise the good tradition of My religion, you should not misunderstand Me that I am a fan of My religion.

If I criticize a bad tradition of My religion, I should not be condemned by you as a critic of My own religion. I praise the chaste Sita of My religion but criticize the unchaste Ahalya of My religion, who is the wife of a great ancient sage dressed in saffron cloth with pious garlands of beads. People think that Gautama (husband of Ahalya) cursed her even though she was deceived by Indra, who came in disguise of Gautama. This is wrong. Gautama could see the fact by his super powerful vision. Ahalya met Indra knowing that he is Indra in disguise (Devarajamtu vijnaya… The Ramayana). Kamandalu is a pious vessel of My religion. But, if it contains beer, I will not respect it. Similarly, the chaste Desdimona of a foreign religion is appreciated by Me even though she was the wife of the most ugly black Othello.

Her external dress may be western pants and shirts. Because she belongs to other religion and culture, I should not criticize her and I should not praise Ahalaya since she belongs to My religion. There may be a bottle labeled with the word ‘beer’. But, it may contain the divine water of river Ganga. Based on the external label and the glass material of the bottle, I should not say that it contains only beer. Similarly, I may criticize the prostitute of a foreign religion. This does not mean that My criticism is based on the point that she is a foreign lady. You should judge the value based on the internal Samskara that is established by the spiritual knowledge.

You should not base your conclusions on the external aspects like region, religion, language, external habits of food, dress and style etc. You should not be fond of the external aspects like religion, culture, nationality, caste, gender, age etc. I belong to the caste of Brahmins but I condemn Ravana, who is a Brahmin and worship Rama, who is a non-Brahmin.

I belong to masculine gender. I don’t appreciate Ravana or Duryodhana, who is a man. I praise Sita, who is a woman. I am an old man but I praise Prahalada, who is a boy and condemn Dhrutarastra, who is also an old man. When all the people in the world become the members of Universal Spirituality, the peace will exist everywhere. If the world is peaceful, the stage or the foundation is strong. Therefore, God gives priority to establish this stage or Pravrutti (Dharmasamsthapanaarthaya—The Gita). Nivrutti or pleasing God is the drama that is enacted on this strong stage. If you spoil Pravrutti, God becomes furious with you. In such case, you cannot dream of Nivrutti, which is pleasing the God.

Truth is always universal. Spiritual knowledge is truth and cannot be influenced by the external traditions of religion. A true tradition must be respected, whether it is of your religion or of other religion. The concepts of Science are true and Universal, irrespective of region and religion. Both the scientific discoveries of foreign Einstein and Indian Raman are true concepts and are adopted in practical applications of our life. The spiritual concepts given by God are also universal since God is Universal.

Do not follow blindly since they are your traditions or condemn blindly the traditions of others. If you analyze, the concept is one and the same in the good traditions of all religions. The Gita says that you will laugh at the blind traditions if you analyze with your sharp intelligence (Buddhyayukto yaya partha karmabandham prahasyasi…). It is said that all old is not gold and all new is not bad (Puraanamityeva nasadhusarvam nachapisarvam navamityavadyam…). You have to analyze both and take good rejecting bad (Santah parikshyaanyatarat bhajante…). A fool follows either old or new completely rejecting the other (Mudhah parapratyayaneyabuddhih…). This rigid fool, a conservative, drinks salty hard water from a well stating that the well was dug by his ancestors (Tatasya kupoyamitibruvaanaah ksharamjalam kapurushah pibanti…).

dattaswami
BANNED

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums