Changed My Mind On Afghanistan

Topic locked
Changed my mind on Afghanistan Mar 04, 2008
Recently I finished a project for Afghanistan. I always thought NATO was doing some good and they tried to help to rebuild the country. Now I am under the strong impression NATO presence is not appreciated by almost anyone. I understand that people/nations donot like to have foreign troops on their soil. But if the locals have to choose between the Taliban and a western back government they seem to prefer the Taliban. Was quite an eye-opener. So now, I think NATO should leave immediately, because they have no business there and is not appreciated and let the locals get want they want.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2008
And they still have not found bin laden.

That's a lot of destruction to find one bloke hiding in a cave.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Mar 05, 2008
jabbajabba wrote:And they still have not found bin laden.

That's a lot of destruction to find one bloke hiding in a cave.

lol with all the technology CIA, FBI has they can find anyone they like. But why should they find him?? and is there really osama bin ladin? how do we know that he hasnt died and USA and the merry men in the tight pants are just using him to do what ever they want, attack whoever they want.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Changed my mind on Afghanistan Mar 05, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:Recently I finished a project for Afghanistan. I always thought NATO was doing some good and they tried to help to rebuild the country. Now I am under the strong impression NATO presence is not appreciated by almost anyone. I understand that people/nations donot like to have foreign troops on their soil. But if the locals have to choose between the Taliban and a western back government they seem to prefer the Taliban. Was quite an eye-opener. So now, I think NATO should leave immediately, because they have no business there and is not appreciated and let the locals get want they want.

NOW YOU REALIZE!!!! lol ppl dont want foreign troops because of the suicide bombings and more and more ppl being killed every day. the talibanis will be back in power one day.

the same is happening in Iraq. ask any of the ppl who live in Iraq and they will tell you they would rather have sadam back rather then have their country on the brink of civil war. oh well sadam was hanged, usa troops are dying every day and so are the iraqi ppl, the country is in 3 parts between the kurds, sunis and shias. what a good job the USA has done and then the west asks y is there Islamic Terroists lol if you blooody go around playing cow boys and red indians with ppl ofcourse you will have terroists lol.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:
NOW YOU REALIZE!!!! lol ppl dont want foreign troops because of the suicide bombings and more and more ppl being killed every day. the talibanis will be back in power one day.

I know man, took me I while. I just couldn´t imagine people prefering Taliban, but I think they do.
Dutch people didn´t mind Americans, Brits, Canadinians or Pols on their soil when they liberated us from the nazi´s.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

I know man, took me I while. I just couldn´t imagine people prefering Taliban, but I think they do.
Dutch people didn´t mind Americans, Brits, Canadinians or Pols on their soil when they liberated us from the nazi´s.

hmmm nice to see someone realize it. shows that some ppls eyes are opening ;).
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:some ppls eyes are opening ;).

My eyes might be opened, but I still donot understand. Rudeboy, if you would live in Kabul, would you rather live under the Karzai government or under Taliban rule?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
rudeboy wrote:some ppls eyes are opening ;).

My eyes might be opened, but I still donot understand. Rudeboy, if you would live in Kabul, would you rather live under the Karzai government or under Taliban rule?

depends on what the karzai gov is doing for me. are they providing me jobs? are the providing me shelter and help me support my family?
hmmm or what the security? security from bombings and killings?

maybe the talibanis couldnt offer most of the things karzai cant but i am sure that during talibans rule there was less bombings, killings and murders.

so i would choose taliban because life under them would be safe.

now you will ask me how about their harsh treatment of women and how they would ban tv etc etc. :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:now you will ask me how about their harsh treatment of women and how they would ban tv etc etc. :D

No, I was just interested in your choice. Thanks for your answer and even more for your explanation.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
rudeboy wrote:now you will ask me how about their harsh treatment of women and how they would ban tv etc etc. :D

No, I was just interested in your choice. Thanks for your answer and even more for your explanation.

safety is what matters the most. I could have decided to move to england or usa or elsewhere in Europe but we decided to move to UAE, y? because there is security. you can walk around at night without getting mugged. and I am assuming that ppl in Afghanistan and Iraq want secuirty and safety. ok they might not be getting food or money but life is precious.

and ur welcome.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 06, 2008
FD - this interesting article from March 2001 makes interesting reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/19/world ... 66&ei=5070

At the time the Taliban were being courted by the American administration in the hope they would allow an oil pipeline through their country.

I have also read that they did not ban girls from going to school as was reported, but banned all children when it was dangerous (and in the article the spokesman talks about the hopes for his daughters at the end).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 06, 2008
shafique wrote:FD - this interesting article from March 2001 makes interesting reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/19/world ... 66&ei=5070

At the time the Taliban were being courted by the American administration in the hope they would allow an oil pipeline through their country.

I have also read that they did not ban girls from going to school as was reported, but banned all children when it was dangerous (and in the article the spokesman talks about the hopes for his daughters at the end).

Cheers,
Shafique

i thought it had more to do with Natural Gas which Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan have. natural gas will be the next thing after oil.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 06, 2008
rudeboy - you may be right about it being a gas pipeline rather than oil, I just recall it was a pipeline and wrote 'oil' without thinking.

I remember being quite against the Taliban as I thought they were giving Islam a bad name - banning women from education and particularly blowing up the Buddhas. Relatively recently I discovered that what I took as fact wasn't accurate, which surprised me.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 07, 2008
shafique wrote:rudeboy - you may be right about it being a gas pipeline rather than oil, I just recall it was a pipeline and wrote 'oil' without thinking.

Relatively recently I discovered that what I took as fact wasn't accurate, which surprised me.

Cheers,
Shafique

heheh the facts are never accurate when your source is CNN or BBC or even Al Jazeera ;). I guess we will never know what the truth is because I consider reporters and news companys just puppets of governments and politicians.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Changed my mind on Afghanistan Mar 26, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:I know man, took me I while. I just couldn´t imagine people prefering Taliban, but I think they do.

Firstly, i respect you for publicly stating you have changed your mind.

Regarding the question as to not understanding why the people prefer Taleiban over the coalition + Karzai, well.... please consider this :

(i have mentioned this in other threads before)
Taleiban came into power, as a result of civil war and unrest after the soviet withdrawal.
Violent warlords siezed power and caused Chaos. Drugs production was in overdrive and warlords kidnapped people for fun and rape was an everyday occurance. In fact these were recognised as the worst times of Afghanistans history with multiple human rights abuses happening daily.

People were fed up, so when religious students presented their plan, to fight back against these warlords they gained much support. as a result, the taleiban as an entity was born.
The taleiban overthrew those warlords and almost wiped out opium production and believe it or not, created stability not experienced for years.

post 911, they themselves got overthrown. The US and friends instilled Karzai, but made a HUGE ERROR. Along with Karzai they instilled THE SAME WARLORDS Who reaked havoc before the taleiban came into power, warlords such as Abdul Rashid Dostum.

People were always suspcious about this, and only quick wins for karzai could have changed their minds. As we can see, this has not happened and hence you see people prefer to see the Taleiban back.

for as long as the warlords are supported by the Coalition, the people will keep turning to the taleiban.

ymmv
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Flying Dutchman wrote:Recently I finished a project for Afghanistan. I always thought NATO was doing some good and they tried to help to rebuild the country. Now I am under the strong impression NATO presence is not appreciated by almost anyone. I understand that people/nations donot like to have foreign troops on their soil. But if the locals have to choose between the Taliban and a western back government they seem to prefer the Taliban. Was quite an eye-opener. So now, I think NATO should leave immediately, because they have no business there and is not appreciated and let the locals get want they want.

so you spoke to ALL people of the nation?
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

JMK wrote:

so you spoke to ALL people of the nation?

Y do you represent ALL the afghanis? and are you the one suffering from bombs every day? what about the international aid thats not getting to u? or what about the corrupt "leaders" who have used up all that aid. hmmm
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2008
rudeboy -I hope your last post wasn't addressed to me.... :roll: :shock: ......
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Changed my mind on Afghanistan Mar 27, 2008
JMK wrote:so you spoke to ALL people of the nation?

No.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Changed my mind on Afghanistan Mar 27, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:
JMK wrote:so you spoke to ALL people of the nation?

No.

:shock:

shame on you!
:wink:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 27, 2008
JMK wrote:rudeboy -I hope your last post wasn't addressed to me.... :roll: :shock: ......

oho jmk i didnt mean to be so mean to u but yes honey it was addressed to u :D.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums