What Is The Last Movie You Saw ??

Topic locked
Sep 06, 2009
Thought you'd watched a film but then realised it was only the first of two disks???

:D

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

Yes, the film about NYC with X, booze and girls in between.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 07, 2009
3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 07, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

MCL, he means you!! :D

For a film about NY nightclubs you should see 54, semi-fictional film about the very real Studio 54, a notorious NY club with very high profile guests a while back. Very enjoyable excess.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 07, 2009
I'm not really interested in nightclubs because I visited them a lot around the Globe.
I'm Moscow boy. Remember? Of course it’s not London but what they call night clubs in Dubai is a big joke. They are rather factory of brides.
I like movies about student’s life because high school was probably the most memorable time for me. One day I had 2 girlfriends at the same time, both from my class. So I don’t understand what MCL is moaning about.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 07, 2009
Dubai nightclubs fall into two categories for me. The meat markets or the Lebanese movie star fantasy world. The idea of men's style in the ME with the short tight shirts or t-shirts showing big muscled arms, with maybe a cigarette packet tucked up the arm, is so corny it's laughable. And sorry, but yellow and pink loafers do not cut it :D

54 is a good film, it's about the excesses of celebrity rather than the working of a nightclub. Also sorry to say that I like Mike Myers, I admitted it.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 07, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Red Chief wrote:I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

MCL, he means you!! :D

Got that Speedy :D

Alrit Chiefster I've aldready completed the entire college cum graduation ritual. Now settling into old age :P
And I've had it with teen college movies mate, been there done that! Guess you watch em for old time sake eh?

But seriously there is absolutely no campus culture here whatsovr, and the influx of students reeks of retardation. As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

Yea there were women, I had a car some friends but it was all astoundingly monotonous not to mention costly.
Should've gone to Perugia instead!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 08, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote: As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

It's an off-topic but could you explain about exchange student? As far as I understand you don't live in host family, but rent a flat by yourself.
Do you have a scholarship?

What was the financial sence in studing in this place?
Thanks.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 08, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote: As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

It's an off-topic but could you explain about exchange student? As far as I understand you don't live in host family, but rent a flat by yourself.
Do you have a scholarship?

What was the financial sence in studing in this place?
Thanks.

Transfer student. I transferred my credits here.

I moved to AUH only in Jan.
Financial sense? Well I intend to stay put for atleast another year, hence the move to a flat.
Currently am busy studying for an American based certification, so technically I'm still studying. Then I'm also a full time private investor focussing on stocks in the ME and India, with commodities on the anvil. So I've taken some time off just to analyse companies and study for the certification.
By Nov I'll initiate my job hunt in full swing, hopefully things'll go according to plan. If things don't workout then I'll probably packup by Feb-March, subject to the value of my investments (no way in hell I'm leaving my invested capital here without ma constant monitoring)

BTW a sequel to the Micheal Douglas movie Stock Market will go on the floors soon.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 08, 2009
event horizon wrote:3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe

Love that movie! :D
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:I noticed you enjoyed The Italian Job? If bank heists are your thing then I would highly recommend The Bank Job (Jason Statham - not his usual fare where suspension of reality is mandatory)

I've just seen "The Bank Job". Sorry, but I wasn't impressed at all.
Firstly it's probably due to I hate 70s. London in the films looks rather grey. Moscow was probably even greyer according to teen's Speedie's impression.

Secondary although Italian job is more cartoonish there were more humour and ingenuity.

I'm not sure that it's good to follow real events for movie.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 20, 2009
:D

Moscow in the 70's was austere, but London was horrifically grimy, the architecturally lovely buildings were all caked in more than 100 years of coal soot and were cleaned slowly over the next 10-15 years. It's nicer now, as I'm sure Moscow is! ;)

Statham I like as a gritty ironic London hardnut, he does play for sardonic laughs, as all classy villains in real life do, but I didn't see the film, I guess I will sometime, purely to judge.

The first Italian Job (with Michael Caine) is a classic and favourite of mine, but the remake was better than I thought it would be, I had low expectations. Good film.

Yesterday I watched Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler and found myself astonished that I enjoyed it. I did not think of him as an actor with any depth, but changed my opinion overnight. Watching him fumbling to come to terms with a sea change in his life was very moving. The ending I hated, maybe it was engineered for US audiences, because it seemed possibly hopeful whereas his final life choice, to me, should have ended with unmistakable pathos. Unless I misread it. But the film I really enjoyed.

I think it shows that actors can always improve their craft, more so with age and wisdom. Michael Caine is a much better actor now than in the Italian Job and other early films (he always had screen presence, but not the acting skills to enhance it). :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 21, 2009
Downloading The Wrestler right now :D

You suprise me RC. Judging by some of ur fav movies like Requiem for a Dream etc I thought you liked dark grey characters and themes with the occasional t*t a requisite( to mantain concentration surely) :lol:

I actually thought the storyline of The Bank Job was quite powerful which totally distrcted me from the grimy scenery, not to mention the presence of the gorgeous Saffron Burrows, who I could'nt stop drooling over. :wink:

Keep the recommendation flowing guys!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 21, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Downloading The Wrestler right now :D

You suprise me RC. Judging by some of ur fav movies like Requiem for a Dream etc I thought you liked dark grey characters and themes with the occasional t*t a requisite( to mantain concentration surely) :lol:

I actually thought the storyline of The Bank Job was quite powerful which totally distrcted me from the grimy scenery, not to mention the presence of the gorgeous Saffron Burrows, who I could'nt stop drooling over. :wink:

Keep the recommendation flowing guys!

I don't have any preference in genre but evalute very much if there is something real behind the plot. In this terms "Requiem" is realy great movie.
As for Saffron Burrows you are right but sex issue wasn't developed well so her role as well as how another characters connect to each other are not clear.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 22, 2009
Yesterday I watched "No country for old men". Modern western in Texas 1980s. Absolutely crazy film with ponds of blood, remind me Torontino and Rodrigez. It was main rival to 3:10 to Yuma and Assasination... in 2007 but IMHO it's better than Yuma. Real thriller.

Especially I have pleasure from acting of Spaniard Javier Bardem in the role of main villan, real macho.
It's his second role after V.C.B. but absolutely different. Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones were also good.

P.S. Anyway, MCL, thank you for sharing inf. about "The bank job".
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Downloading The Wrestler right now :D

In "Body of lies" Russel Crowe told DiCaprio:
"If youre not thinking about p@ssy, then youre just not concentrating enough." :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 22, 2009
:D :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 23, 2009
I have just seen "Gran Torino".
Clint Eastwood is a director and a leading actor.

An old man, Korean vet and retired automaker, is loking at how his neibourhood in Detroit fiils by Gooks with their youth's gangs and soldarity on one hand.
On the other hand he lost contact with his son whose the only aim is grabbing father's house and rarity car Ford Grand Torini 1972 and send Dad to the retairment house.

Very simple and touching film but the problem revealed in the film is very common for Western World.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2009
Forest Gump it impressed me very much
crazzycat
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Oct 13, 2009
District 9

To keep it simple this movie is legandry. Awsome stuff. Miss it at ur own peril!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2009
The Proposal, Okk way to cheesy for my tastes!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2009
If ur into fantasy movies like me than you have to watch

Chronicals of Narnia- Price Caspian ( way better than the Harry Potter movies, and I'm a huge Potter fan so that's saying a lot)

Night at the museum- Battle of the Smithsonian ( I enjoyed every second of this movie, thrice. And you'll absolutely fall for Amy Adams, she's so damn cute in this movie)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 15, 2009
my last movie was "bourn ultimatem" :D
jacob2287
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Oct 17, 2009
"requiem for a dream" just saw it, so impressive movie but depressing... I can't take it out of my mind...
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 18, 2009
melika969 wrote:"requiem for a dream" just saw it, so impressive movie but depressing... I can't take it out of my mind...

Very in time for somebody who dreams about American passport. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 18, 2009
well RC, It's not like it is better in Iran :( but it was really great...
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 18, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I have just seen "Gran Torino".
Clint Eastwood is a director and a leading actor.

An old man, Korean vet and retired automaker, is loking at how his neibourhood in Detroit fiils by Gooks with their youth's gangs and soldarity on one hand.
On the other hand he lost contact with his son whose the only aim is grabbing father's house and rarity car Ford Grand Torini 1972 and send Dad to the retairment house.

Very simple and touching film but the problem revealed in the film is very common for Western World.

The movie addressed the social issues rather well, but as far as the storyline goes why did it have to end so grim?
Movie itself was very watchable.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 18, 2009
I Love You Man

Light, fun filled caper. Had quite a few laugh out loud moments and throughout the length of the movie I had a smile on my face.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 24, 2009
Big fish...
Yanjin
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 05, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Red Chief wrote:I forgot another rather interesting movie I saw recently. The title is "Deception" with Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams.

I will not be suprised if somebody (who could it be? 8) ) accuse me in falling in lust but really film is about relationship although I cannot say that the idea of such a club is not interesting at all. :wink:

In a similar vein I liked Eyes Wide Shut much more. (Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman)

I saw the movie a few days ago. Although idea is interesting, implementation is realy bad. There is no connection between caracters and inside action at all.

The role of Kidman is difficalt to call even "supportive". Her meet irritates because it is absolutely misplaced. Cruise was wooden as usual but the main issue is direction of course. It was awfull.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk