What Song Do You Listen To Right Now?

Topic locked
Re: What song do you listen to right now? May 22, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:Its overall knowledge of the instrument and ability to create a unique signature from the instrument either acoustically or electrically amplified.

A few examples of some extremely talented and able players, although lesser known, are:

Jan Akkerman
Nuno Bettencourt
Stanley Jordan
Gordon Giltrap

Ultimately, its all about the music.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Gordon Giltrap is my preferred choice from the list, he has worked a lot recently with Keyboard Wizard, Rick Wakeman and together they have produced some excellent music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmwwtiIqaM

And there are of course the Great Guitar Stranglers, Richie Havens who opened Woodstock in Aug ’69 gets my vote for this title, he needed an industrial strength plectrum in those days and more often than not, used a piece of shoe leather as it withstood his punishing routines better. His compositions were biased towards political messages within his lyrics, rather than his prowess as a musician although his playing style became less aggressive and more refined in later Years, I still wonder how many Guitars he murdered along the way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pMeyy__r0

:lol: :lol:

Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: What Song Do You Listen To Right Now? May 22, 2011
A lot of flamenco influence looks like and boy that axe really looks battered with all that strumming !

Boy woodstock was a weird time, an Afican/Indian swami-ish gown, which saudi pyjamas finised off with Balouchi sandals. You can't get more international than that ! Maybe they were on to something during the flower power days ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Woodstock wasn't weird. It was a part of a period that was a revolution and the beginning of so many things.

Found this one of Richard Havens performing Going Back to My Roots - 2008. He was 67 years of age. Pick it up at 1.30.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nuno Bettencourt had the most amazing hair! Most girls I know would've killed to have his locks, never mind his axe playing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The woodstock era IS more of a weird thing to most of us of non grandparent age.

Anyways that is an amazing song, never heard it before but it rocks. Would have loved to see a little more of picking from the ryhthm guitarist, would have given it that extra funk !

Good to see Havens get more sensible in the latter years and put on an additional plate on his guitar instead of shreding it into wood chips. Maybe thats where the term shredding got asscoiated with guitar playing ?

Anymore of such slammin tracks ?

-- Sun May 22, 2011 7:49 pm --

Says he ran everytime he heard it being played because he never thought it would be turned into a dance number and then I find this !

Not bad, but prefer the one posted by BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzndudMR ... re=related

Must say thats the most unique way of holding the mic I've ever seen.
desertdudeshj

OK, if we are talking about the greats:

Gregg Allman - Total genius!
This one was recorded in between takes for a TV show. Just him doing something wonderful.

Jan Akkerman showing what he can do on a acoustic:

Unfortunately YouTube would not let me get to the stuff by John Lee Hooker.

For you metalheads and fans of lycra rock...I give you the ubiquitous John Sykes instead!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5OUxD2Q ... re=related

Enjoy!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

desertdudeshj wrote:The woodstock era IS more of a weird thing to most of us of non grandparent age.

Ahh shadup. :lol: You'll be explaining Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga to your grandkids. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzndudMR ... re=related

I be that concert was held the same year -2008. The man got his funk on!!!!! Thanks for that.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien was pretty good.
benwj

Woodstock weird? :?

Here's another headliner from 1969 and guess where he's appearing live tonight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQYDvQ1HH-E

:lol:
Dillon

Re: What song do you listen to right now? May 23, 2011
Don't confuse the woodstock era with woodstock it self. There were a lot of weird artists back then some good, some one hit wonders and some totally zonked out.

But I have respect for all musicians none the less, specially the ones that are still relevant today and even more so still active.

Havin' gone through that period through which many do while just out of school or Uni with dreams of making it big with their garage bands, playing every gig they got, trying to cut that elusive record deal which would announce to the world you have officialy arrived. Gives you respect towards proper musicians and what they do and kind of a built in hate for all things beiber.

Having being a drummer in a past life. I personally think sometimes guitarist get way more attention than they deserve. Sour grapes maybe :D

-- Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 am --

Oh and keeping with the mood here is one I like from "back in the day"

desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Don't confuse the woodstock era with woodstock it self. There were a lot of weird artists back then some good, some one hit wonders and some totally zonked out.

Having being a drummer in a past life. I personally think sometimes guitarist get way more attention than they deserve. Sour grapes maybe :D

-- Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 am --

Oh and keeping with the mood here is one I like from "back in the day"

There will always be one hit wonders, but I think from that "era" more survived that those who have survived after that time. Do you think Lady Gaga and Justin will be around?? I don't think so. :lol: And today, it really isn't about bands anymore, but the performer.

I agree drummers don't get "star" status because they were always considered the ones that held a band together.

Keeping in line with the Woodstock theme, here's guitar and drum. Michael Shrieve was 20 years old when he rolled this one out!!! He left Santana in 74.

More drums and guitar from Santana. One of my favorites. Love the afros!!! How out of it were they to get into it??? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7hfdCqs ... re=related
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Santana is fab. Although I do have to admit, when he played here, nearly 2 hours of guitar twanging did get a bit much. Plus he really really needed to play more of his big hits.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Santana is fab. Although I do have to admit, when he played here, nearly 2 hours of guitar twanging did get a bit much. Plus he really really needed to play more of his big hits.

Anything that goes on for 2 hours can be overload. Well............most things that is. :wink: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Minx! lol :lol:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Santana is fab. Although I do have to admit, when he played here, nearly 2 hours of guitar twanging did get a bit much. Plus he really really needed to play more of his big hits.

I expect you met him did you? I didn't see him on your list.
Bethsmum

Again keeping with the flow, here is someone you can say started off the woodstock festival. They were the first one to sign up for it, prior to that many were hesitant to sign for something like that and once news got around they had signed it, the rest follwed.

CCR : Fortunate Son 8)

desertdudeshj

Re: What Song Do You Listen To Right Now? May 23, 2011
Woodstock

Those who cancelled:

Jeff Beck Group (The band broke up in July, forcing cancellation)
Iron Butterfly (Stuck at the airport, their manager demanded helicopters and special arrangements just for them. Were wired back and told, as impolitely as Western Union would allow, "to get lost", but in other 'words'.)
Joni Mitchell (Joni's agent put her on "The banana Cavett Show" instead)
Lighthouse (Feared that it would be a "bad scene".)
Ethan Brown (Arrested for LSD three days before the event.) In preparation for the concert?? :lol:

Those who declined:

The Beatles (John Lennon said he couldn't get them together)
Led Zeppelin (Got a higher paying gig at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey that weekend)
Bob Dylan (Turned it down because of his disgust of the hippies hanging around his house) Now that's funny!!! :lol:
The Byrds (Turned it down because of a melee during their performance at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival, held at the Atlanta International Raceway on July 4 and July 5, 1969)
Tommy James & the Shondells (Turned it down because of being misinformed about the size and scope of the event)
Jethro Tull (Turned it down because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.)
The Moody Blues were included in the original posters as performers, but backed out after taking a gig in Paris on the same weekend.
Spirit (they had other shows planned and did not want to back out of their commitments; not knowing how big that Woodstock would ultimately become)
Mind Garage (Declined because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Good research BB!

I know a lot of headliners pulled out or couldn't make it for one reason or another but this is a definitive list and educational!

Woodstock started the era of big outdoor music festivals and they continue to this day. Glastonbury is obviously the daddy in the UK but the V Festivals attract some very high note performers.

Was at Joe Cocker last night and the band could really play. He still has a charisma and there is music coming from every pore of his body...like the sweat he was drenched in! The poor guy was really struggling with the humidity and the stage lighting but carried on regardless and put on an awesome set. The average age of the audience was about 55 but it was really refreshing to see a lot of youngsters there really appreciating the skill and the emotion that went into the performance.

A memorable gig.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Actually when I found that info I was very surprised and found it interesting who and why.

Joe Cocker = That's a concert I wouldn't mind having gone to seeing as how there were so many grownups. I'm sure when you say youngsters you don't mean the 5 and 6 year olds!!!

I'm very put off by concerts that I might want to go to because way to many people bring their "little ones" along or people get sloppy drunk. Both of which I find extremely irritating. I wouldn't even go to the big race for those reasons - more so because of the sloppy, obnoxious drunks.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Actually when I found that info I was very surprised and found it interesting who and why.

Joe Cocker = That's a concert I wouldn't mind having gone to seeing as how there were so many grownups. I'm sure when you say youngsters you don't mean the 5 and 6 year olds!!!

I'm very put off by concerts that I might want to go to because way to many people bring their "little ones" along or people get sloppy drunk. Both of which I find extremely irritating. I wouldn't even go to the big race for those reasons - more so because of the sloppy, obnoxious drunks.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

By 'youngsters' I meant anyone under 30! :lol:

They gave you a bracelet that said "21+" to enable you to buy infidel juice...I dared them to check my id!

There wasn't a single child in the place, it was calm, orderly, easy to get in and out, no jostling, people chilled out with picnic blankets on the grass, some dancing, no-one drunk, no disturbances, no hassles. A grown up event and very well organised by Done Events.

The only downers were the weather (not in anyone's control) and the guy on the vision mixing for the big screens who seemed not to realise that when the spotlights shone on a performer who was playing a solo, he should actually show it on screen and not keep focusing on the quite hot female bass player!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Edited for the sake of BBs dirty mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of concerts, Roxette was brilliant. Geeze she's aged, haven't we all, but it was high engery from start to finish and transported me back to the days of studying (cramming) for my leaving cert.
I went to see Mark Knoffler when he was here a few years back (Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms was my first big concert when I was all of about 5" tall), and was very disappointed, mainly with the crap band... and no sax!
benwj

benwj wrote:Speaking of concerts, Roxette was brilliant. Geeze she's aged, haven't we all, but it was high engery from start to finish and transported me back to the days of studying (cramming) for my leaving cert.
I went to see Mark Knoffler when he was here, which was more like my Junior Cert years (Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms was my first big concert when I was all of about 5" tall), and was very disappointed, mainly with the crap band... and no sax!

Weren't you a bit young for sax?? (Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol: )
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Woodstock

Those who cancelled:

Jeff Beck Group (The band broke up in July, forcing cancellation)
Iron Butterfly (Stuck at the airport, their manager demanded helicopters and special arrangements just for them. Were wired back and told, as impolitely as Western Union would allow, "to get lost", but in other 'words'.)
Joni Mitchell (Joni's agent put her on "The banana Cavett Show" instead)
Lighthouse (Feared that it would be a "bad scene".)
Ethan Brown (Arrested for LSD three days before the event.) In preparation for the concert?? :lol:

Those who declined:

The Beatles (John Lennon said he couldn't get them together)
Led Zeppelin (Got a higher paying gig at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey that weekend)
Bob Dylan (Turned it down because of his disgust of the hippies hanging around his house) Now that's funny!!! :lol:
The Byrds (Turned it down because of a melee during their performance at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival, held at the Atlanta International Raceway on July 4 and July 5, 1969)
Tommy James & the Shondells (Turned it down because of being misinformed about the size and scope of the event)
Jethro Tull (Turned it down because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.)
The Moody Blues were included in the original posters as performers, but backed out after taking a gig in Paris on the same weekend.
Spirit (they had other shows planned and did not want to back out of their commitments; not knowing how big that Woodstock would ultimately become)
Mind Garage (Declined because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere)

I often wondered why some of the bigger names weren't performing at Woodstock, you mentioned Santana earlier, and the penultimate track in my Disco days, the final slow number of the night for that gratuitous pelvic grinding grope in the dark, was of course, Santana’s Samba Pa Ti…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSayxVM_E0

And the last was no less than Jeff Beck with Hi-Ho Silver Lining, with such clear intelligible and positive lyrics, it was impossible not to sing along, the theory was that everyone left the disco in high, happy spirits rather than fighting in lumps, the last two tracks were mandatory and never varied from one disco to another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9T47Hnccpw

8)
Dillon

Dillon, are you sure about that second link? If so, that must have been the Brits version of disco, which definitely differs from what us yanks know disco to be!!! :alien:

I know that neither of the above would have been played at Studio 54!!!! :mrgreen:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Dillon, are you sure about that second link? If so, that must have been the Brits version of disco, which definitely differs from what us yanks know disco to be!!! :alien:

I know that neither of the above would have been played at Studio 54!!!! :mrgreen:

Absolutely certain Bora! and never mind! I didn’t expect the rest of the world to be quite as sophisticated as we were in God’s Country.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Dillon, are you sure about that second link? If so, that must have been the Brits version of disco, which definitely differs from what us yanks know disco to be!!! :alien:

Absolutely certain Bora! and never mind! I didn’t expect the rest of the world to be quite as sophisticated as we were in God’s Country.

Yeah, us yanks knew (and still know) how to have a good time. :lol: Were you so sophisticated that you wore a suit and tie and wingtip shoes at the disco?? :mrgreen:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

If thats Disco than Pavarotti is hip hop !

This, however is D.I.S.C.O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VemW5i69 ... re=related

This even has the madatory big afros required for disco

desertdudeshj

Re: What song do you listen to right now? May 24, 2011
Now I'm listening with the sound of silence... :wink:
SicnarFranciS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: What Song Do You Listen To Right Now? May 24, 2011
Is that like getting a sun burn in the moonlight ?

Or were you refering to this ?

desertdudeshj

Re: What Song Do You Listen To Right Now? May 24, 2011
Listening to bellydance drum solo music :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk