Marrying Within Your Own Religion

Topic locked
Marrying within your own religion Feb 02, 2008
Im sure we all have a heard of this or come across it, What do you think of it?

Do you think its right or wrong, would u marry outside your religion and what do u think of people who say that they will ONLY marry within their own religion?

abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2008
What if you don´t have religion?

I really cannot understand people only wanting to marry within their religion, but if that´s their choice. It´s not wrong or anything...What´s close to wrong I think is forcing your religion on your spouse: "convert, or I will not marry you".
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 05, 2008
Love knows no bounds - religion should not play a part in it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 05, 2008
Love does not have pre-requisites
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Marrying within your own religion Feb 05, 2008
abdulnafees wrote:Im sure we all have a heard of this or come across it, What do you think of it?

Do you think its right or wrong, would u marry outside your religion and what do u think of people who say that they will ONLY marry within their own religion?

I'd marry out of my religion. I've nothing against people who say the'd only marry from their own religion, infact i'm happy for them.. it's their miss...it also reduces competition..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 06, 2008
I don't know if religion or culture is the right question question here.

I would if it wouldn't cause me to much difficulty down the line for my family's culture
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 06, 2008
I think its a bad idea (oh well, maybe good for some) in or out of your own religion. It all depend on your tolerance level !!!
coolcisum
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 07, 2008
one should marry in his/her own religion .. reason being it help things simple .. believe me i know .. i have seen the conflict with my own eyes .. and the chaos it created .. im so scarred of geting married in the first place and if i made my mind to do wud surely marry with my own religion girl .. mind i am not an extremist religious person .. but still i wud prefer it to be like this ..
Captain Sirus Black
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 14, 2008
Captain Sirus Black wrote:one should marry in his/her own religion .. reason being it help things simple .. believe me i know .. i have seen the conflict with my own eyes .. and the chaos it created .. im so scarred of geting married in the first place and if i made my mind to do wud surely marry with my own religion girl .. mind i am not an extremist religious person .. but still i wud prefer it to be like this ..

I agree with you Captain Sirus Black. It's better to marry someone with the same religion. It's also better for kids to grow up in a home with one religion.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 16, 2008
Let's just clarify that a little bit... (Applied for Muslims)

1. Muslim women can only marry Muslim men.
2. Muslim men however can marry women of other Abraham religions. (Christians/Jews)

Note: non-Muslim wives don't have to convert to Islam. If those non-Muslim wives converted then it’s ok, as long as the conversion is sincere and came from the heart.

Note: In such cases where a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman are in love, there is always the solution that the non-Muslim man can embrace Islam and marry the Muslim woman, then problem solved for both sides.
bonbonboi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 16, 2008
[quote="bonbonboi"]Let's just clarify that a little bit... (Applied for Muslims)

1. Muslim women can only marry Muslim men.
2. Muslim men however can marry women of other Abraham religions. (Christians/Jews)

[quote]Note: non-Muslim wives don't have to convert to Islam. If those non-Muslim wives converted then it’s ok, as long as the conversion is sincere and came from the heart.[/quote]

[quote]Note: In such cases where a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman are in love, there is always the solution that the non-Muslim man can embrace Islam and marry the Muslim woman, then problem solved for both sides.[/quote][/quote]

[color=green]Even if the man or woman converts to Islam the marriage is still a big challenge because of the cultural diffrens between husband and wife.
Muslim men who want to marry a christian or a jew...think about the childeren.
It's confusing for them to grow up with 2 different religions.

My point is stick to your own religion ppl ! [/color]
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 16, 2008
Or not! You know you can always let the children make up their own minds whch religion they 'choose' to follow, that's what my parents did, we weren't forced to follow anything.

Who cares about religion, it's about finding your life partner, your soul mate, religion should have no part in it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

:-) Jul 16, 2008
its sooooooo confusing. im in love with a Christian girl. and im realy confused, if i can marry her or not. i can't force her to convert either. because simply she can go to church even if she converts, if there was no belief.
howdy

Jul 16, 2008
As I said, religion should have no part in it. Religion is a personal choice to yourself, it should have nothing to do with your feelings for someone nor should it influence whether or not you should get married.

If I had my way I'd ban all religion.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 16, 2008
Chocoholic,
It doesn't work that way for muslims ... but if that works for you, good for you :lol:

Howdy,

Give you an example ok :

Muslims fast for a month during ramadan...If u married to a jew or a christian it's gonna be a very long and lonely month. Ramadan is a family happening...you pray together, eat together, read koran together etc.

Love is great but not enough to make your marriage work.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 17, 2008
Don't ever marrie someone who is not same religion as yours.My father Muslim from Palestine has married my mother Christian.Ok she got convert.But what happened.After 20 years of marriage when we (her kids)grow up she divorced my father.Why?She was unhappy.She wanted someone who have similar beliefs as her,who is raised similar like she etc.
And when biggest problem came in marriage of my parents there was always comments:"Go back to your Christian parents" Or "Islam is..." etc.
Now both had married someone of same religion and I never saw them happy as today.
Love is beautiful but marriage is for all life.
And I am lucky cuz I love someone who is Muslim as me.Thanx God!
Falasteeniya
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 17, 2008
:D
Falasteeniya
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 17, 2008
Raya, Christians also fast for lent remember, same same.

Well I don't believe in marriage either, so I guess I'll be dodging that bullet.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 17, 2008
Chocoholic,

I know a lot of Christians...non of them fast...they just Christian by name. They don't practice their religion like most Muslims do..sorry

Friend of mine is married to a Muslim. She told me that she is not gonna fast with her husband during ramadan... I give those 2 a year..then he is gonna look for a Muslima believe me.

It's a shame but it's reality
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 19, 2008
Well I know some people that do, but that majority don't.

And just because your friend is not MUslim, why should she fast with her husband? That's a personal thing, other people don't come into it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 19, 2008
The only way i can explaine this to you is by this video's.
Take a look and hopefuly you will understand my point.
Ramadan is just one example why i think we should stick to are own religion in marriage.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wOvLlnTy9 ... re=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDChnuPN ... re=related

Fasting in Islam is a family spiritual thing ...we don't fast all by ourselfs ...everybody is fasting toghether and it's great fun too :D
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 19, 2008
Well that's your take on it. My take is that religion is a personal choice for a person and it shouldn't necessarily influence their decision making in all areas of their life.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 21, 2008
Personally I think the answer to this question is determined by just how much religion means to the individual and how tolerant they are to people with other beliefs.

Take Ireland at the height of the troubles, marrying across the divide in Ireland between protestant and catholic would have possibly resulted in death, or at the very least the marriage would have been subject to so much external interference and pressure that it would have taken an exceptionally strong and dedicated couple to make it work.

The whole set up of the church in the UK has suffered over the years with attendances dwindling and many being forced to shut.
In my own home city I can think of several churches that have been turned into bars and nighclubs or converted into houses.
Religion was seen as outdated. It was something that never evolved as the world evolved round it and the younger generation couldn't see that it offered any advantages to them.

Islam is still a very strong religion. Will it remain as strong in years to come or will younger muslims begin to defy certain aspects of it ?

Is it really marriage between different religions that is the issue, or is it a conflict between different cultures ?
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 21, 2008
As far as I can see pretty much all religions are outdated, they don't move with the times so young people in particular cannot relate to them anymore.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 21, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:As far as I can see pretty much all religions are outdated, they don't move with the times so young people in particular cannot relate to them anymore.

correct (there's not a religion forum that this will be hastily moved to is there ?)

Although does that also come down to a change in family values ?
As kids we were given the choice of whether to attend Sunday School/church, the only sibling who did was my sister who I think attended through some feelings of loyalty to my mum who went. It would be intersting to ask my mum whether she was given a choice or she just attended church and that was that.

Both my brother and sister had church weddings though (to keep it on topic) and as far as I am aware both married somebody from a similar protestant/athiest background.

I've never had a relationship where the question of religion has ever once come into conversation although I suppose the fact that nobody ever went dashing out the door on a Sunday morning to confes her sins or make peace for blatantly ignoring several of the 10 commandments most likely meant that they were never overly religious.
That could also be down to the assumption that good, god fearing religious girls wouldn't have been in the same pubs and clubs as I was....

There would certainly be more cultural differences between marrying a muslim or marrying a catholic but surely it would be a test of your commitment rather than a test of faith.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 23, 2008
Islam is still a very strong religion. Will it remain as strong in years to come or will younger muslims begin to defy certain aspects of it ?

Is it really marriage between different religions that is the issue, or is it a conflict between different cultures ?

Islam is not outdated and it will never be...Islam goes with all times.
Islam is the fastes growing religion in the world. People all over the world are muslims it doesn't matter what nationality or culture you have.

A marriage between two different cultures can work out if you both have the same religion.
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 23, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:As far as I can see pretty much all religions are outdated, they don't move with the times so young people in particular cannot relate to them anymore.

Islam was revealed by Allah and thus is eternal, as He is. Our knowledge is limited, whereas Allah’s Knowledge is all-inclusive. Allah is also omniscient, for He is not limited by time and space as we are.

Islam is based on essential human nature, which does not change over time or according to location.

Outward forms change, while fundamental principles, basic values, and essential human nature and needs do not.

The Qur’an and Sunna propound Islam’s eternal principles, while deductive reasoning based upon them (ijtihad) meets the needs of every age. Ijtihad is neither independent reasoning (Joseph Schacht) nor free thinking (Hamilton Gibb), but a technical legal term and principle defined by Muslim scholars as “the competency or legal ability to deduce rules of law through juristic speculation from original sources where definite authentic decisive texts are not specific.” For example, Islam does not object to modern traffic laws, but considers murder a capital sin and a grave crime worthy of severe punishment even if committed by someone driving a car.

Islam is the only religion that embraces all dimensions of life and possesses an established method that allows for the perennial evolution of human society in accordance with life’s fundamental principles and permanent values.
bonbonboi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 23, 2008
Bonbonboi,

I thought i was the only muslima outhere...guess im wrong ..Alhamdullilah :)
Raya
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 02, 2008
im not against about same religion or different one.
as long as i love him and i know that he loves me its enough for us.
mysterious girl
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 06, 2008
Raya wrote:

Islam is not outdated and it will never be...Islam goes with all times.
Islam is the fastes growing religion in the world. People all over the world are muslims it doesn't matter what nationality or culture you have.

A marriage between two different cultures can work out if you both have the same religion.

dear raya , don't try to convenes chocoholic she is a women who has no value of anything, not culture or religion .. Besides she always seems to know it all and always has a friend who went throw a cretin experience.

Chocoholic, you are a moderator , you are suppose to be Neutral in all issues post it at the forum, not use it to spread your sick ideas god knows who though them to you .( out dated religions ) this is not the dark ages era for god sack. You are a sick person. Just say what you have to say but stop forcing it with your twisted posts. god.

If it's in my hand I would kick you out of this forum. moderator my ….

Back to the subject, I don't see much harm in marrying from another religion, things will work out as long as there is love.
firefingersx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance