How Safe Is It For Single Foreign Women In Dubai?

Topic locked
How safe is it for single foreign women in Dubai? May 17, 2006
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian, originally born in Trinidad in the Caribbean. I am nearing the end of a graduate Business and HR degree and have been considering moving to Dubai to work. A few of my friends live there and have found me some interesting work prospects, so now I want to give it some consideration.

Here's the thing: I'm a divorced mom and feel a bit uncertain about moving myself and my son there as a single female. I don't speak Arabic, and I'm not Muslim.

Would I be safe? Am I at any risk of being chastised as I'm a mother with no husband? Am I basically sentencing myself to permanent singlehood by moving to Dubai?

Any advice or perspectives from expats or nationals would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
CC

TriniCanFemale
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: How safe is it for single foreign women in Dubai? May 17, 2006
TriniCanFemale wrote:Here's the thing: I'm a divorced mom and feel a bit uncertain about moving myself and my son there as a single female. I don't speak Arabic, and I'm not Muslim.

Would I be safe? Am I at any risk of being chastised as I'm a mother with no husband? Am I basically sentencing myself to permanent singlehood by moving to Dubai?

A significant proportion of the population doesn't speak Arabic and isn't Muslim - most westerners don't and aren't.

There's divorced women here with children, Western and Arabic, Muslim and non. You woudn't be the first.

And if you're worried about singlehood, I don't think the risk of that being permanent is any greater or smaller than anywhere in er, where'd you say you came from? Canada?

Safe from what? It's a relatively safe city in terms of crime. Driving can be a bit hairy.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 17, 2006
first i wanna say hi&welcome on DF! :)
i have never visited Dubai but from what i know it's a pretty nice place to be in. as for the fears u have i think u should relax cause u r not the only single mom who is there>i have been talking to a german lady and she is in the same situation, having a kid and working there and she likes it more than her city and yes, she is dateing cause there r a lot of men of different nationalities, so i would say u got more options! good luck for u and for ur son. i am sure u will adjust just fine!
p.s and for sure u will find here all the info u need :wink:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 17, 2006
Hi Sharewadi and Alexandra, thanks for the reassurance. Yes I'm a Canadian orignally born in Trinidad.

I think the biggest thing is the prospect of moving there without a decent size network of people. I have three friends there, but .... well, I guess there's always a bit of uncertainty in making a big move.

Thanks again,
CC
TriniCanFemale
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: How safe is it for single foreign women in Dubai? May 17, 2006
Dubai is definitely safer than Canada.

I don’t know why you are worried about being chastised as single parent. Dubai is a big cosmopolitan City with a lot of single workers, who may or may not be necessarily parents. The only thing you need to worry about it getting someone to look after your kid while you work.

Yes it is a Muslim country, but about 80% of the population is expat. That’s why driving is a b**** in this country cus no one knows where they’re doing.

And yes working in Dubai is considered very lucrative. Make sure you negotiate a good package before landing here. Especially on the housing allowance they give you. My advice is for you to try to get at least over 60K AED for annual housing allowance.

:wink:

Vennie
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

May 17, 2006
Thanks, that housing advice (and driving too, lol!) really helps!

I think the source of worry that influenced my making this whole post is, in addition ot ensuring I have a decent sized network of people I know and trust, is to understand what general attitudes would be on the whole single parenthood. Especially in terms of the whole dating and relationship side: I don't plan to be single forever, nor do I want to close off those possibilities.

But I hear what you are all saying and it sounds llike I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, by the way, I heard salsa dancing is big there... are there any good spots I should check out if and when I finally get there?
TriniCanFemale
Dubai Forum Guest

May 17, 2006
TriniCanFemale wrote:Thanks, that housing advice (and driving too, lol!) really helps!

I think the source of worry that influenced my making this whole post is, in addition ot ensuring I have a decent sized network of people I know and trust, is to understand what general attitudes would be on the whole single parenthood. Especially in terms of the whole dating and relationship side: I don't plan to be single forever, nor do I want to close off those possibilities.

But I hear what you are all saying and it sounds llike I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, by the way, I heard salsa dancing is big there... are there any good spots I should check out if and when I finally get there?

Hi Trini,

They have regular Salsa and Merengue sessions at a place called Savage Garden. It is in a hotel called the Capital on the beach road near a location called Dhiyafah Road.

Very popular!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance