The Great Misunderstanding Between The West And East

Topic locked
Jan 27, 2009
humbleman, isn't there already a thread about freedom of speech where we were all discussing that it isn't a perfect concept and that people are always trying to influence it. It is human nature to try to manipulate what others see and hear, and freedom of speech isn't consistently enforced. It find it quite useless when people are looking so hard to show how the West is hypocritical about freedom of speech when tons of Arab countries don't even allow free speech - period. The ones that say they do are also abusing it and being hypocritical about it. Are you trying to say that Arab countries should be expected to behave in a hypocritical way, but the West is supposed to be perfectly objective all the time. We aren't from Vulcan!

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 27, 2009
Dear Kanelli, not at all.

I’m only responding to few posts that implied people in the West can say whatever they want. I take exception of this. However I do believe that people in the West are in a better position in term of expressing some of their opinions freely.

Having said that, freedom of speech is used/allowed whether in the West or East when it’s convenient or when it bound to serves specific agenda for the people who are in charged.

I’m not trying to compare the West to the East or the Arab to the West as they both have unique cultures that already defined who they are. I am just trying to high light how the Media in the West have been unfairly associating Islam with every nut that happened to be a Muslim, and for some reason they deliberately ignore mentioning others’ religion when they used violence against others. This has resulted in a great misunderstanding amongst the ordinary people in the West about Islam and Muslims people as whole. And this is quite dangerous indeed.
:)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2009
kanelli wrote:rudeboy, you didn't mention that hateful posters like MB are ruining this forum, instead you worry about what the Westerners are critiquing about the UAE, and how they go for labourer and animal rights all the time. Very interesting...

kanelli i dont want to argue but if u read my post properly it was directed to everyone including yourself and myself.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 27, 2009
Humbleman wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Brother Humbleman,

Remember the very same hypocrites that chant 'freedom of speech' abused their moderator power to 'warn' me for 'freedom of speech'.

Remember this, a forum dedicated to Dubai has only one Emirati moderator.

You're being gobbled up and the time is nigh to kick them in the posterior and send 'em packing.

MB: To date you have not been 'Moderated' in that not a single one of your posts has been edited. Certain posts with abusive content have been moved wholesale to Fight Club. If the Administrators feel that you deserve access, they would grant it. If they do not, then you have to live by that decision. You are not in control of it.

This is NOT an Emirati Forum. Although anyone is welcome, this is a forum about Dubai for English speaking people and, for all you know, could be hosted in Canada or even Bangladesh. This shows how little you understand about this medium and the UAE as a whole.

The time has come for the Moderators and the Administrators to consider kicking you in the posterior for the overt hatred you have displayed here, the abuse of anyone who is non Muslim and your abject disregard for the rules of the forum as are clearly displayed in the stickies at the top of each section.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight[/u]

this forum is giving dubai a real bad name.

Really?

In what way?

Knight

in everyway.

the forum was supposed to be helping expats out providing them with informaiton etc etc. but the amount of biased information we have on this forum it is giving out bad "vibes" about Dubai to anyone who wishes to move out to dubai. the way everyone is bikering over little things from dogs to labourers rights. the amount of time everyone spends fighting amongst each other, can be spend on doing something productive. if you really care about dogs why doesnt the forum have its own charity where donaters can contribute. or if someone is really worried about palestinians why dont we all contribute clothes we are not using to the palestinian ppl? Instead of fighting.

Rudeboy. My friend

I disagree with you, although I like your ideas of charity.

This section of the forum is called political debate, and as you know when debating with a large group of people, you’ll have different views, some of them are pleasant and others aren’t, this is part of political debate.

On the contrary, debating issues will more likely help to increase one’s understanding and knowledge of how others see things. I see it as an educational. We do have the right to agree and disagree, but we don’t have the right to attack each others’ personal character or use an example or event as a leverage to attack a whole nation or race.

People who aren’t interested in politics have the choice to enjoy some interesting sections in the forum. It’s nice to have a freedom of choice, don’t you think? :)

with all this bikering, i dont think anyone will learn anything here.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 28, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Brother Humbleman,

Remember the very same hypocrites that chant 'freedom of speech' abused their moderator power to 'warn' me for 'freedom of speech'.

Remember this, a forum dedicated to Dubai has only one Emirati moderator.

You're being gobbled up and the time is nigh to kick them in the posterior and send 'em packing.

MB: To date you have not been 'Moderated' in that not a single one of your posts has been edited. Certain posts with abusive content have been moved wholesale to Fight Club. If the Administrators feel that you deserve access, they would grant it. If they do not, then you have to live by that decision. You are not in control of it.

This is NOT an Emirati Forum. Although anyone is welcome, this is a forum about Dubai for English speaking people and, for all you know, could be hosted in Canada or even Bangladesh. This shows how little you understand about this medium and the UAE as a whole.

The time has come for the Moderators and the Administrators to consider kicking you in the posterior for the overt hatred you have displayed here, the abuse of anyone who is non Muslim and your abject disregard for the rules of the forum as are clearly displayed in the stickies at the top of each section.

Knight[/u]

Just change the name of the forums then.

As long as that doesn't happen, this is 'Dubai Forums'.

Whether you like it or not, it's you and your ilk who need a kick in the posterior.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 28, 2009
kanelli wrote:rudeboy, you didn't mention that hateful posters like MB are ruining this forum, instead you worry about what the Westerners are critiquing about the UAE, and how they go for labourer and animal rights all the time. Very interesting...

You didn't mention that MB is "ruining the forum for Westerners" who like to frolick about nude and drunk while practising their homosexual, lecherous, lewd, lascivious customs.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 28, 2009
kanelli wrote:humbleman, isn't there already a thread about freedom of speech where we were all discussing that it isn't a perfect concept and that people are always trying to influence it. It is human nature to try to manipulate what others see and hear, and freedom of speech isn't consistently enforced. It find it quite useless when people are looking so hard to show how the West is hypocritical about freedom of speech when tons of Arab countries don't even allow free speech - period. The ones that say they do are also abusing it and being hypocritical about it. Are you trying to say that Arab countries should be expected to behave in a hypocritical way, but the West is supposed to be perfectly objective all the time. We aren't from Vulcan!

Can you show me an Arab country that officially insults Christianity, Westerners, your homosexuality, your lewd, lecherous, treacherous, hyypocritical, nude, lascivious, drunken stupor filled, drug-abusing customs under the guise of 'freedom of speech'?

Arabs dont chant 'freedom of speech' while the West does.

The hypocrisy of the West exposed again.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 28, 2009
humbleman, everyone should be allowed free speech - not just people in the West. The major problems are that a) people say things without considering whether or not it may be very hurtful or damaging and sometimes they don't care if it is b) others always want to control what is seen/heard by others and c) freedom of speech is so subjective because there is no way to set boundaries that will satisfy everyone. Freedom of speech is something the West struggles with all the time; however, it is worth fighting to keep that right because people need to be able to speak out and discuss important issues. There is junk free speech and valuable free speech, and we have to take the good with the bad because it is preferable to no free speech at all.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 28, 2009
rudeboy wrote:

kanelli i dont want to argue but if u read my post properly it was directed to everyone including yourself and myself.

I did read your post and my comment still stands.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk