The Great Misunderstanding Between The West And East

Topic locked
Jan 25, 2009
kanelli wrote:Is Al Qaeda a multi-faith organization? Did their Catholic branch bomb the embassies in Africa? What about the attacks in the UK underground and the the foiled attacks. Were those accused not Muslim? What about the attacks in Mumbai?

There are many people who have Muslim friends and relatives, and they don't assume that all Muslims are terrorists. However, the authorities whose job it is to protect the population, including Muslims, are going to profile people who are Muslim when doing security checks. It completely sucks that all Muslims are being made to feel uncomfortable, but it is those few extremists who have committed terrorist acts that should take quite a bit of the blame, don't you think?

y we all just jump on findin out the religion of the terrorist????

do u really beleive tht if sm one follow a religion will be a terrorist??

its human nature tht when it crosses a fine line btw humanity and insanity....he becomes a terrorist....

so i think as an adult and mature human beings we shud respect our religions and stop throwin tht b..l shi.t at each other....
if we here cant accept and convince each other on a mutual humanity favourin agenda then how come ppl sitting in the governments can?

coz we r one who elect them ...
its not about muslims ...or christians or jews ....its about tolerance of the other human being and respectin their culture and tryin not to go across tht fine line of humanity.

daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009
Daisy, Kanelli is not saying that at all.

The sad actions of a few deemed 'terrorists' and yes they are! Have tarred the whole religion of Islam, that's a fact whether you like it or not. Now the problem is, what are the moderate ones doing about it, other than saying oh well yes we condem these acts - not a great deal it has to be said.

If people of certain faiths cannot stamp out the extremists within their own communities, then don't come crying and moaning when you get profiled at an airport, train station etc etc

We have had to deal with terrorism from various factions over the years ETA, the IRA etc etc. But the sad fact of the matter is that these days that majority of terrorist attacks are carried out by groups like Al Queda, who do happen to be muslim.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 25, 2009
can't you guys leave religion and religion pathetic views out of these political debates , this thread targeted the misunderstanding between the east and the west.

all i know about religion is that God will look at me as an individual, will punish me if i am evil, will judge me for what I do , not for what the rest of the world is going through. if you want to make a religious change , make it within yourself first because that is what you are going to be judged about , you hear me ?

live your life respecting others and don't harm others , that is only guarantees you a free ticket to heavens. trust me :)
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 25, 2009
mesheditor, did you read the initial post or what? We are not off-topic, and sorry, but religion is part of it!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 25, 2009
yes I did , but frankly speaking non of us is qualified enough to talk about religion. religion is not complicated as the way i see it however if i sit here all day reading about it and how you guys think it led to all this mess , I wouldn't be able to tell where am from or what religion i represent ..
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Daisy, Kanelli is not saying that at all.

The sad actions of a few deemed 'terrorists' and yes they are! Have tarred the whole religion of Islam, that's a fact whether you like it or not. Now the problem is, what are the moderate ones doing about it, other than saying oh well yes we condem these acts - not a great deal it has to be said.

If people of certain faiths cannot stamp out the extremists within their own communities, then don't come crying and moaning when you get profiled at an airport, train station etc etc

We have had to deal with terrorism from various factions over the years ETA, the IRA etc etc. But the sad fact of the matter is that these days that majority of terrorist attacks are carried out by groups like Al Queda, who do happen to be muslim.

I agree tht ....most of the moderate ones r sleepin by just sayin tht its wrong,,, but have u ever came across a study tht how much of muslims r dying coz of these soo called al-quaida muslim organizations.........?

Its not an over night process tht one will stamp out tht factor of extrimism from their societies ....i am workin with an NGO along with like hundreds of other workers to wipe away all the fears ppl feel from west....and their r a lot of other organizations also workin on the same peace agenda......

But the prob is tht when we get a response from sm of our fellow westerns tht we r like sm third world crap citizens and we dont have any idea of whts goin on in the world ,,,and the only solution is another holo from this time on muslims......then its very difficult even for us not to react.

And to tell u the truth i never felt offended about tht profilin thin .....its their duty to keep and ensure the safety.....it willl benefit me too.
if i have nothin to hide then y wud i compalin?

But last month sm very starnge things even happened in the Afghanistan....
Sm US soldiers had a gun fight with sm al quaida members and after like 2 hrs of tht the US soldiers managed to kill them....there were four of them...after the post martem report it was disclosed tht those four men were not circumcized( which is basically in muslim religion) and they also had tatoos of diff animals on their backs and chests....

tht report was not published coz of sm reasons( relations with russia).

I am not accusin or blamin but its not abt Islam and muslims....

So i will really appreciate and respect ur views if u try to be more open minded and even if ppl like u can help us in guiding the less educated and less previliged ones.
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009
daisy, it is really hard to read your posts when you omit so many letters from the words. Can you please post using full words to make reading faster and more comprehensible. Thanks. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 25, 2009
kanelli wrote:daisy, it is really hard to read your posts when you omit so many letters from the words. Can you please post using full words to make reading faster and more comprehensible. Thanks. :)

sorry i will try it next time...thanks for it. :)
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks, you write a lot of text sometimes and I would just like to be able to follow. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 25, 2009
daisy wrote:
kanelli wrote:daisy, it is really hard to read your posts when you omit so many letters from the words. Can you please post using full words to make reading faster and more comprehensible. Thanks. :)

sorry i will try it next time...thanks for it. :)

Off topic: In actual fact, I find her way of writing so seductive :oops:

Cheers
dubai1970
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2009
kanelli wrote:Thanks, you write a lot of text sometimes and I would just like to be able to follow. :)
:)
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009
Oh I'm very open minded - more than you know!

Have not read that story, so can;t comment.

And yes please write using full words as I am interested to see what you have to say, but the SMS shorthand makes it difficult to follow.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Oh I'm very open minded - more than you know!

Have not read that story, so can;t comment.

And yes please write using full words as I am interested to see what you have to say, but the SMS shorthand makes it difficult to follow.

I am working on it.... :wink:
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2009

That’s very interesting.

Were there any association between IRA and their Christian religion?
Or have we heard that the Media quote saying, IRA Christian groups conceal a bomb and killed large number of innocent people? No, not at all, they only mentioned the name of IRA and that’s about it – so you see that double standard here.

It’s hilarious when you say that Muslims have to monitor and take charge of every Muslims’ behaviour and views – hello. We find it hard to control our kids’ behaviour let alone strangers, or an adult. It’s like am saying white folks should stamp out skinheads who preach hatred, racism and the death of non-white in America, Europe, Australia, NZ etc.

I’ve seen these skinhead groups taking to the street in some Western countries preaching their hate and twisted ideology publicly, and what governments did in those countries, they kindly offered them squad of police officers to protect them from any attack by the public.

Note, there have been fatal attacks by members of those skinhead groups on innocent people, but we never heard any association with their religion or race. Media and some white folks quoted saying, “the majority of white people don’t subscribe to these skinheads’ agenda”. I bet if these skinheads were Muslims, Media would be saying, terrorist Muslims groups seek the death of millions of innocent people”. This is what I found to be a clear double standard by Western Media?

Just like when the Media describe a Palestinian fighter as a Muslim terrorist, and Jew as an Israeli soldier who fight to defend his/her country.

So let me reverse your question, why can’t white folks stamp out those skinheads who want nothing but the death of every non-white?
:?:
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 26, 2009
Humbleman, those are old arguments that have already been dealt with in many other threads in this forum.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 26, 2009
Humbleman wrote:

That’s very interesting.

Or have we heard that the Media quote saying, IRA Christian groups conceal a bomb and killed large number of innocent people? No, not at all, they only mentioned the name of IRA and that’s about it – so you see that double standard here.

It’s hilarious when you say that Muslims have to monitor and take charge of every Muslims’ behaviour and views – hello. We find it hard to control our kids’ behaviour let alone strangers, or an adult. It’s like am saying white folks should stamp out skinheads who preach hatred, racism and the death of non-white in America, Europe, Australia, NZ etc.

I’ve seen these skinhead groups taking to the street in some Western countries preaching their hate and twisted ideology publicly, and what governments did in those countries, they kindly offered them squad of police officers to protect them from any attack by the public.

Note, there have been fatal attacks by members of those skinhead groups on innocent people, but we never heard any association with their religion or race. Media and some white folks quoted saying, “the majority of white people don’t subscribe to these skinheads’ agenda”. I bet if these skinheads were Muslims, Media would be saying, terrorist Muslims groups seek the death of millions of innocent people”. This is what I found to be a clear double standard by Western Media?

Just like when the Media describe a Palestinian fighter as a Muslim terrorist, and Jew as an Israeli soldier who fight to defend his/her country.

So let me reverse your question, why can’t white folks stamp out those skinheads who want nothing but the death of every non-white?

Because, my friend, we have something in the west called 'Freedom of Speech' (emphasis on the "Speech")

Jean Paul Sartre said it best:

"Monsieur, I may totally disagree with what you say, however I would stand side by side with you and fight to the death to protect your freedom to say it"

Anyone can say what they like, but if those words become actions that threaten the safety and security of the majority, then the Rule of Law applies and they are in breach of their rights. It is then the law and their appointed agents (the police) duty to prosecute.

There is a place in London called Speakers Corner (Just in Hyde Park near Marble Arch) where anyone can stand and speak publicly without any fear of prosecution about any subject they feel strongly about. Its great entertainment as all the nutters in creation like to get on their hind legs and say their piece. Some are great orators, however the people who listen have the choice to stay or move on as they feel.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 26, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
Humbleman wrote:

That’s very interesting.

Because, my friend, we have something in the west called 'Freedom of Speech' (emphasis on the "Speech")

Jean Paul Sartre said it best:

"Monsieur, I may totally disagree with what you say, however I would stand side by side with you and fight to the death to protect your freedom to say it"

Anyone can say what they like, but if those words become actions that threaten the safety and security of the majority, then the Rule of Law applies and they are in breach of their rights. It is then the law and their appointed agents (the police) duty to prosecute.

There is a place in London called Speakers Corner (Just in Hyde Park near Marble Arch) where anyone can stand and speak publicly without any fear of prosecution about any subject they feel strongly about. Its great entertainment as all the nutters in creation like to get on their hind legs and say their piece. Some are great orators, however the people who listen have the choice to stay or move on as they feel.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

DK, my friend

Few Imams from London were imprisoned because their sermons considered being provocative and seditious. These Imams haven’t done anything physical, all what they did is using speech, just like what skinheads do.
So it’s double standard when these Imams’ right to freedom of speech taken from them but given to skinhead groups. According to what you said, they should’ve been able to say whatever they want to say – right.

Skin heads are no different from any other terrorists in my opinion- they killed and spread hatred amongst societies. Just last week where I live, neo-nazi white supremacist beliefs sparked the hate-killings of two men, they were killed by 5 skinheads, one of these two men was an innocent Korean student. They mercilessly strangled him as they kept saying "Nein blut", German for "No blood" till he died.

Also according to what you said, people should be able to debate the holocaust, and what exactly happened during that time. But in reality, imprisonment and travel ban are awaiting anyone who wishes to do so. That’s contradicting what freedom of speech stand for, isn’t it? :?
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 26, 2009
DK,

It sounds beautiful. How about witch-hunt in McCarthy Era?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 26, 2009
Humble, where do you live?
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 26, 2009
Humble, the Imams in LOndon were jailed for spreading hate and calling for Jihad, which is in effect 'treason', still an act punishable by death in the UK!

Nazi supporters would get exaclt yht esame treatment, so no they're not being treated differently.

These people were also jailed because they were funding terrorist activities and communicating directly with Al-Queda.

Bakri is still in Lebanon!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 26, 2009
Brother Humbleman,

Remember the very same hypocrites that chant 'freedom of speech' abused their moderator power to 'warn' me for 'freedom of speech'.

Remember this, a forum dedicated to Dubai has only one Emirati moderator.

You're being gobbled up and the time is nigh to kick them in the posterior and send 'em packing.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jan 26, 2009
Someone needs to kick you in the arse and send you packing - mate!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 26, 2009
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Brother Humbleman,

Remember the very same hypocrites that chant 'freedom of speech' abused their moderator power to 'warn' me for 'freedom of speech'.

You're being gobbled up and the time is nigh to kick them in the posterior and send 'em packing.

MB: To date you have not been 'Moderated' in that not a single one of your posts has been edited. Certain posts with abusive content have been moved wholesale to Fight Club. If the Administrators feel that you deserve access, they would grant it. If they do not, then you have to live by that decision. You are not in control of it.

This is NOT an Emirati Forum. Although anyone is welcome, this is a forum about Dubai for English speaking people and, for all you know, could be hosted in Canada or even Bangladesh. This shows how little you understand about this medium and the UAE as a whole.

The time has come for the Moderators and the Administrators to consider kicking you in the posterior for the overt hatred you have displayed here, the abuse of anyone who is non Muslim and your abject disregard for the rules of the forum as are clearly displayed in the stickies at the top of each section.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight[/u]
Dubai Knight

Jan 26, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:

MB: To date you have not been 'Moderated' in that not a single one of your posts has been edited. Certain posts with abusive content have been moved wholesale to Fight Club. If the Administrators feel that you deserve access, they would grant it. If they do not, then you have to live by that decision. You are not in control of it.

This is NOT an Emirati Forum. Although anyone is welcome, this is a forum about Dubai for English speaking people and, for all you know, could be hosted in Canada or even Bangladesh. This shows how little you understand about this medium and the UAE as a whole.

The time has come for the Moderators and the Administrators to consider kicking you in the posterior for the overt hatred you have displayed here, the abuse of anyone who is non Muslim and your abject disregard for the rules of the forum as are clearly displayed in the stickies at the top of each section.

Knight[/u]

this forum is giving dubai a real bad name.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 26, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight[/u]

Really?

In what way?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 26, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight[/u]

Really?

In what way?

Knight

in everyway.

the forum was supposed to be helping expats out providing them with informaiton etc etc. but the amount of biased information we have on this forum it is giving out bad "vibes" about Dubai to anyone who wishes to move out to dubai. the way everyone is bikering over little things from dogs to labourers rights. the amount of time everyone spends fighting amongst each other, can be spend on doing something productive. if you really care about dogs why doesnt the forum have its own charity where donaters can contribute. or if someone is really worried about palestinians why dont we all contribute clothes we are not using to the palestinian ppl? Instead of fighting.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 27, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight[/u]

Really?

In what way?

Knight

in everyway.

the forum was supposed to be helping expats out providing them with informaiton etc etc. but the amount of biased information we have on this forum it is giving out bad "vibes" about Dubai to anyone who wishes to move out to dubai. the way everyone is bikering over little things from dogs to labourers rights. the amount of time everyone spends fighting amongst each other, can be spend on doing something productive. if you really care about dogs why doesnt the forum have its own charity where donaters can contribute. or if someone is really worried about palestinians why dont we all contribute clothes we are not using to the palestinian ppl? Instead of fighting.

Rudeboy. My friend

I disagree with you, although I like your ideas of charity.

This section of the forum is called political debate, and as you know when debating with a large group of people, you’ll have different views, some of them are pleasant and others aren’t, this is part of political debate.

On the contrary, debating issues will more likely help to increase one’s understanding and knowledge of how others see things. I see it as an educational. We do have the right to agree and disagree, but we don’t have the right to attack each others’ personal character or use an example or event as a leverage to attack a whole nation or race.

People who aren’t interested in politics have the choice to enjoy some interesting sections in the forum. It’s nice to have a freedom of choice, don’t you think? :)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2009
Jewish officials in Israel and abroad are outraged that Pope Benedict has decided few days ago to lift the excommunication of a British bishop who denies that Jews were killed in Nazi gas chambers.

Why should the Pope be responsible for someone else’s view?

Why when a British bishop tries to speak what he believes is historical truth in an amicable manner, called anti-Semitic, expelled from his job and outcast?

No one is denying that Jewish people had suffered at the hand of Hitler? But why it’s okay for historian to revisit past tragedies and re-examine their truth, but banned to do the same thing on what exactly happened to the Jewish people during the time of Hitler. Historians have better access to advance technology to pin down facts in a fairly accurate way.

Speaking of freedom of speech

I am very sympathetic to the Jewish people whom had suffered and to the suffering of any human being whether in Africa, West, East. I’m just trying to understating the hypocritical definition of freedom of speech.

Here is a link the interview with the British bishop
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhdBzPH_zM
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Humble, the Imams in LOndon were jailed for spreading hate and calling for Jihad, which is in effect 'treason', still an act punishable by death in the UK!

Nazi supporters would get exaclt yht esame treatment, so no they're not being treated differently.

These people were also jailed because they were funding terrorist activities and communicating directly with Al-Queda.

Bakri is still in Lebanon!

Thank you. So the law in the West is the one which is responsible to deals with those adherent groups. I am with you on that.

So who come you expect ordinary Muslims to take the law into their hands and stamp out some groups of people whom don’t share their views. Don’t you think Muslims should also let the law do the same thing with extremist groups? Or in your view Muslims people are responsible to eliminate those groups but European people are not responsible to eliminate skinheads and their detrimental activities.

99 % of Muslims as am sure European people as well hate extremist, hate the killing of any innocent person. Not to mention, Gulf countries’ laws are against extremists or any attack on civilian. The proof of this is that, non-Muslims people are working throughout the Gulf, and walk freely because non-Muslims know that Gulf’s laws are there to deal with any twisted minded person, and know that the majority of Muslims people are peace-loving and don’t subscribe to such view.

However, this indicates that, it’s a fact that in all societies and religions, you will always have narrow minded people who will always try hard to stir up trouble. This fact has been clearly ignored by the Media on their coverage when certain group of people whom happened to be Muslims used violence to put their message across, which is of course wrong. But hardly seen or heard the media associated religion with people in the past who have had constantly used violence to achieved certain outcomes. Where is the fairness?

You see, if the Western governments want to really help, then they should stay out of Palestine and Israel’s conflict, or at least involve as honest brokers if they failed to achieve lasting peace between the two. This will demonstrates to Muslims people that Western governments are not anti-Islam, and will also make it easier for the laws in Muslims and Arabic countries to counteract extremists’ views that Western governments are attacking Islam.

:)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 27, 2009
rudeboy, you didn't mention that hateful posters like MB are ruining this forum, instead you worry about what the Westerners are critiquing about the UAE, and how they go for labourer and animal rights all the time. Very interesting...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk