Pope Urban II And OBL - One Religious, The Other Political ?

Topic locked
Re: Pope Urban II and OBL - one religious, the other politic Aug 05, 2010
It is currently the Chiristian Church position that the medieval persecution of the Knights Templar for the Crusades against the 'vile race' of 'infidels' was unjust and that there was nothing inherently wrong with the Order
Ref;The Chinon Parchment

chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

History shows us that crusades conquests in ME were both religious and political.

Here are some bits and pieces from wikipedia regarding middle ages in Europe.

“The Catholic Church was the major unifying cultural influence, preserving its selection from Latin learning, maintaining the art of writing, and a centralized administration through its network of bishops.”
“Bishops were central to Middle Age society due to the literacy they possessed. As a result, they often played a significant role in governance.”
“New kingdoms like Hungary and Poland, after their sedentarization and conversion to Christianity, became Central-European powers. Hungary, especially, became the "Gate to Europe" from Asia, and bastion of Christianity against the invaders from the East for the next 600 years.[14] The Papacy, which had long since created an ideology of independence from the secular kings, first asserted its claims to temporal authority over the entire Christian world. The entity that historians call the Papal Monarchy reached its apogee in the early 13th century under the pontificate of Innocent III. Northern Crusades and the advance of Christian kingdoms and military orders into previously pagan regions in the Baltic and Finnic northeast brought the forced assimilation of numerous native peoples to the European entity.”

So under the light of these quotes we can say that crusades raid was religious in the sense that Muslim Seljhuk Turks were not only expanding towards Europe but they were taking islam and its influence with them , therefore Europeans under bishops/church influence probably felt that they had to protect themselves from cultural (religious) invasion.

It was political in the sense that the only way to stop Seljuk Turks and the dominions of Saladin which was all islam from further ethnic expansion was trough the raids of Crusades(Europeans) under the Christian slogans towards the holy lands to war for counter-influence, this is why I think crusades found the solution in capturing Jerusalem and that’s why they thought Jerusalem had to be liberated from Muslim control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages#Crusades
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ok - I'll let Berrin debate with Chev.

I'm more interested in hearing from the one who set up this thread and see whether he will answer

shafique wrote:Are you embarrased to tell us whether you've given up the silly arguments that the Crusades were not a Holy War or not? And the sillier argument that the Urban's call for Holy War was generic?

Why avoid the question?

I've already quoted Urban calling for a Holy War - and you've argued that these calls are 'generic' :shock:

Surely you can't now be de-evolving into a previous loon argument that the Crusades weren't a Holy War??

Are you a de-evolving loon?

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sorry, didn't you claim that OBL didn't call for a Muslim Holy War (Jihad) against the Jews and Americans ?

Are you running away from directly addressing the Pope's explanations for his call to arms against the Turks ?
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Why are you avoiding the question - are you embarrassed?

shafique wrote:Are you embarrased to tell us whether you've given up the silly arguments that the Crusades were not a Holy War or not? And the sillier argument that the Urban's call for Holy War was generic?

Why avoid the question?

I've already quoted Urban calling for a Holy War - and you've argued that these calls are 'generic'

Surely you can't now be de-evolving into a previous loon argument that the Crusades weren't a Holy War??

Are you a de-evolving loon?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Pope Urban II and OBL - one religious, the other politic Aug 06, 2010
The Pope is clear - he did not 'explicitly' call for a 'holy war', as you claimed.

I'm not the one who claimed that OBL did not call for a Muslim Holy War (Jihad).

As for the topic of discussion, is it possible that you do not wish to address the Pope's explanations for the crusade ?
event horizon

Re: Pope Urban II And OBL - One Religious, The Other Politic Aug 06, 2010
So have you are back to 'the Crusades weren't a Holy War'?

Are you also going to argue that the Holy War called by the Pope was 'generic' as well?

It appears that you've gone Rogue Loon again. I refer you to all the previous points which cover these issues, especially the questions regarding finding anyone who agrees with you that the crusades weren't a Holy War (that's what makes you 'rogue' - and of course the bizare 'but it was a generic call to Holy War' just defies logic in reality and loonville alike).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm not the one who argued that OBL and the Times Square bomber didn't call for a Holy War (Jihad) against the West and world Jewry - you did.

Isn't it difficult to maintain your claims when OBL is explicit that his war is a Holy War ?
event horizon

Re: Pope Urban II And OBL - One Religious, The Other Politic Aug 06, 2010
Hey, YOU are the one that came up with the silly, rogue loon, idea that the Crusades weren't Holy Wars and yet argued that the Holy War called by Urban was 'generic'.

You made that bed -but you don't seem that willing to lie in it.

The threads about the 9/11 and the Tim McVeigh wannabe are still there, evidence still in there - no U-turns, no flip flops - no rogue fantasies.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

event horizon wrote:But hey, my mind could change.

I ask what does the Pope say that makes his call to arms religious that I could not find in OBL's fatwa against the US and world Jewry ?

If there is nothing that the Pope says that sets his calls for warfare uniquely apart from Bin Laden's, then perhaps this is another case where Christianity and Christians are held to higher standards than Muslims and Islam.

Just sayin.

Hey let's see if this could change your mind..
I didn't know that Jihad was common terminology of Popes therefore Christianity, did you?

Pope's Call
In November of 1095, Pope Urban II initiated the first European attempt at colonizing the Muslim world - known in the West as the Crusades - by drawing this fateful picture:

For you must hasten to carry aid to your brethren dwelling in the East, who need your help, which they have often asked. For the Turks, a Persian people, have attacked them I exhort you with earnest prayer - not I, but God - that, as heralds of Christ, you urge men by frequent exhortation, men of all ranks, knights as well as foot soldiers, rich as well as poor, to hasten to exterminate this vile race from the lands of your brethren Christ commands it. And if those who set out thither should lose their lives on the way by land, or in crossing the sea, or in fighting the pagans, their sins shall be remitted. Oh what a disgrace, if a race so despised, base, and the instrument of demons, should so overcome a people endowed with faith in the all-powerful God, and resplendent with the name of Christ. Let those who have been accustomed to make private war against the faithful carry on to a successful issue a war against the infidels. Let those who for a long time have been robbers now become soldiers of Christ. Let those who fought against brothers and relatives now fight against these barbarians. Let them zealously undertake the journey under the guidance of the Lord. [15]

The Pope's words lay out many of the themes that would characterize this mass colonial movement East for the next two centuries. In one reading of
the Crusading venture, restless knights and small-tune princes are enticed
by their lords with tales of land and wealth, fuel the hopes of turning their swords away from the increasingly nervous feudal establishment, or what the Pope calls the faihful brethren. Landless folks and the poor -euphemized by the Pope as criminals - can also be turned Eastward with enticements of land and Divine forgiveness. But what is most interestinghere is that the Pope conceptualizes his Oriental Other in racial terms. The enemy, for now, is the debased races of Turks and Persians, and Islam is not yet a part of the Western conceptual matrix.

Extracted From:
Title: The Utility of Islamic Imagery in the West (Part 2 of 4)
Author: J.A. Progler
URL: http://ireland.iol.ie/~afifi/Articles/image.htm

Notes from the Article:
15. The passage appears in August C. Krey, The First Crusade: The Accounts of Eye Witnesses and Participants (Gloucester, Massachusetts: Peter Smith, 1958).

http://crusades.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=59

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

The crusades weren't an example of colonization, no current historian will agree with you on this.

If you want to look at colonization, then look no further than the Arab land grabs following the expansionist policies of Muhammad and the 'rightly' guided caliphs.

shafique wrote:The threads about the 9/11 and the Tim McVeigh wannabe are still there, evidence still in there - no U-turns, no flip flops - no rogue fantasies.

If someone literally calling for Holy War is so unimportant to you, then why do you try and bring up what you imagined the Pope to have said ?

After all, you erroneously claimed that the Pope 'explicitly' called for a Holy War.

Are we (again) holding Christianity up to higher standards than Islam ?

Indeed, the evidence for the cause of the Crusade should be examined and this is thread where I have invited you to examine the Pope's own explanation for his call to arms.
event horizon

Oooh dear..Eh quibbles again..I agree confrontation is very hard to face, isn't it?
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk