Coptic Pope - Calls For Unity

Topic locked
Coptic Pope - Calls for Unity Jan 10, 2012
The article below describes how the leader of the Coptic Christians has no problem with Muslim majority rule in Egypt and is calling for unity. A few Islamphobic bloggers have been highlighting the sectarian attacks within Egypt and employing the usual tactics of blaming all Muslims or the usual 'see Islam is evil' line.. so this report of Muslim leaders showing solidarity and the Pope's call for unity should highlight the difference between Islamophobic hype and reality:

Egypt’s Coptic pope celebrates Christmas with call for unity
David Shariatmadari and Damien Pearse

As Coptic Christians celebrated their first Christmas after the Egyptian revolution, their pope called for national unity amid fears that their community will suffer under Islamic majority rule.

Copts, who use of a 13-month calendar dating back to pharaonic times, celebrated Christmas Day on Saturday.
At the start of the festive celebrations in Egypt, prominent figures from across the political spectrum, including leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood and members of the ruling military council, attended Friday night mass at Cairo’s main Coptic cathedral.

The Coptic pope, Shenouda III, commended their presence and appealed for national unity for “the sake of Egypt”. He said:
For the first time in the history of the cathedral, it is packed with all types of Islamist leaders in Egypt. They all agree … on the stability of this country, and in loving it and working for it, and to work with the Copts as one hand for the sake of Egypt.

The call for unity follows an escalation in violence against the Christian minority, an estimated 10% of Egypt’s 85 million people, over the past year.

Many Christians blamed a series of street clashes, assaults on churches and other attacks on radical Islamists who have become increasingly bold after Mubarak’s downfall.

The Coptic church traces its origins to 50 years after the death of Christ, when Mark the Evangelist took the gospel to the pagan city of Alexandria.

The 1 January 2011 attack outside al-Qiddissine church in Alexandria, the worst sectarian violence in Egypt for more than a decade, left 23 dead.

Attacks on the community continued after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak, prompting thousands of Copts to take to the streets in protest that no culprits had been brought to justice. The military violently quashed the most recent demonstration in October, leaving 27 dead and provoking further outrage.

“At the beginning [of the revolution] there was a great euphoria, a sense of hope for the future,” said Angaelos. “The problem is that because of the lack of law and order, you then had a lot of extremism. We saw in the past 10 months more attacks on Christians and churches than over the past two years before that.”

Amir Michaeel, 26, saw the revolution as a moment of hope for the country, which he left aged 12 when his father came to the UK to work. But he is concerned by the emergence of more organised Islamic parties.
Raphael is more categorical. “There is real concern about the likelihood of harsher treatment for the Copts if radical Islam is to rule Egypt.”

Bishop Angaelos said the community had no issue with a Muslim majority government as long as the rights of Copts were protected: “What we want is a government which represents everyone in the country, not just one sector over another.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ja ... sfeed=true

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls For Unity Jan 10, 2012
From your own article that you left out in your post for some reason:

Figures from across political spectrum attend mass at Cairo's main Coptic cathedral amid fears of rising sectarian tension...

The call for unity follows an escalation in violence against the Christian minority, an estimated 10% of Egypt's 85 million people, over the past year....

Attacks on the community continued after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak, prompting thousands of Copts to take to the streets in protest that no culprits had been brought to justice. The military violently quashed the most recent demonstration in October, leaving 27 dead and provoking further outrage.

"At the beginning [of the revolution] there was a great euphoria, a sense of hope for the future," said Angaelos. "The problem is that because of the lack of law and order, you then had a lot of extremism. We saw in the past 10 months more attacks on Christians and churches than over the past two years before that.".

Amir Michaeel, 26, saw the revolution as a moment of hope for the country, which he left aged 12 when his father came to the UK to work. But he is concerned by the emergence of more organised Islamic parties.

Raphael is more categorical. "There is real concern about the likelihood of harsher treatment for the Copts if radical Islam is to rule Egypt."...
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Fail.

I didn't quote the sub-headline before the byline - but the rest of your quote is indeed in my quote. The only bits I didn't quote from the article related to Copts in the UK.

You really must try and read what is posted in future and stop spinning.

The Pope's call for unity and the presence of Muslim leaders in the service are the main points of the article, and show the calls for unity despite the violence that you and your blogger friends want to over-hype.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

violence that you and your blogger friends want to over-hype.

Only in the deranged mind of a Muslim apologist are numerous incidents of hundreds and sometimes thousands of Muslims attacking Christian villages, homes and churches - that has left dozens of Christians dead - considered "overhyped".

This coming from someone, btw, who has posted stories in the past of Mosque attacks in Israel where the number of perpetrators numbered no more than a handful and the attackers struck in the night, fearful of police response, and caused absolutely no casualties.
event horizon

You really need to stop believing what you read on your friends' blog sites.

This story is about the Coptic Pope holding a mass with Muslim leaders and calling for unity, not your blogger friends hype. The article does indeed talk about the attacks - and ends with the Pope's positive message. Copts rights (and all minorities) need to be protected - if so, then they have no issue with Muslim majority rule. Live with it.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls for Unity Jan 10, 2012
Actually, the Coptic Church has demanded equal rights for Christians in the new Egypt, not to be "protected" second class citizens.

There was an article about this only a week or so ago.

I'm very surprised you did not cover that one when it came out.

Really, I'm super surprised.
event horizon

What is it with you and strawmen? Re-read the last paragraph of the article, the one I even highlighted. The re-read what I wrote and note that I'm not talking about any special minority rights, but the same point the Pope made.

Why do you look for dissension where there is none?

I suggest, again, you limit the time you spend on hate-mongering Islamophobic blogger sites.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote: the violence that you and your blogger friends want to over-hype
You really are a real nasty piece of work.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

And you have a tendency to believe in the myths put out by said bloggers - and call a massacre of hundreds of children an 'outstanding job' over all.

I'm pretty sure that under the old (and new rules) just posting ad hominem attacks are not allowed/encouraged.

But I'm not surprised you're choosing to ignore the positive message of this thread and side with a poster who gets their info from hate-mongering bloggers.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:But I'm not surprised you're choosing to ignore the positive message of this thread and side with a poster who gets their info from hate-mongering bloggers.
Well said!
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

shafique wrote:and call a massacre of hundreds of children an 'outstanding job' over all.

I´ll got you some slack (I don´t know why, but I just do), and consider this a gross misquote. The job well done was for fighting terrorists in urban areas and minimizing civilian casualties. But you can take it to the appropriate thread. Its really sad you have to use dead children for this misquote, who have nothing to do with this thread. Shame on you! Shame on you!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

You may consider it a misquote - but you were praising the perpetrators of a Massacre which saw hundreds of children killed (as well and many more civilians). That is true nastiness in my book - making excuses for a massacre. Sick.

But as I said, this thread is about the positive aspects of a Pope's message - not the hate-filled hype from Islamophobic blog sites.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You cant help yourself Shaf, take your hate speech to the appropriate thead.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

shafique wrote:But as I said, this thread is about the positive aspects of a Pope's message - not the hate-filled hype from Islamophobic blog sites.

May I suggest if you have nothing to say on the thread's topic (you've not contributed anything so far), that you follow your own advice and start new threads.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Lets hope for the best then :-).
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:You really are a real nasty piece of work.

Well said!
Bethsmum

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls for Unity Jan 10, 2012
On Tuesday a prosecutor in Egypt ruled that a 15-year-old Coptic Christian boy must remain in custody for at least 15 days while an investigation is conducted into whether he posted cartoons on Facebook depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

The Egyptian newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm reported that Gamal Abdallah Masoud, a high school student in the central Egyptian town of Baheeg, has denied posting the images, claiming they were added to his Facebook wall without his permission.

On New Year’s Eve, after news first spread of Masoud’s alleged online activity, riots broke out in Baheeg and three other nearby towns in the province of Asyut.

Muslim villagers threw rocks at police and set fires in at least six homes owned by Christians, including Masoud’s home, which was empty at the time. Seven officers were hospitalized after police used tear gas to disperse the rioters.

Egypt is a mostly Muslim country, with a Coptic Christian population of about 10 percent.

Mostafa al-Sayyed, the regional governor, met Monday with Muslim and Christian leaders and several Islamist members of Egypt’s parliament. Afterward, the group announced that rioters would be arrested. They also urged Coptic priests to publicly apologize for the Facebook images, and encouraged Masoud and his family to move out of the region.

In 2005 a global controversy erupted after a Danish newspaper published a dozen editorial cartoons depicting Muhammad, an act Muslims considered heretical. Although at attempt was made on the life of one of the cartoonists, the newspaper later apologized for offending followers of Islam.

In October, Egypt’s state news agency reported that a court in Cairo sentenced a man to three years in prison for posting material on Facebook that was determined to be disrespectful of Islam. The court determined that freedom of belief doesn’t excuse hate speech that may offend Muslims.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/chris ... z1j4tGj64J

"Overhyped"
event horizon

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls For Unity Jan 11, 2012
Indeed over hyped - you went back to a story posted a week ago about a boy being arrested and which refers to the same violence against churches in the OP.

The point of this thread is that the Coptic Pope is calling for unity and not the succumbing to the rabid hatred that you and the other commentators to the article you quoted have towards Islam.

The Pope was speaking after these events and still called for unity. Islamic leaders were at the mass (including Muslim Brotherhood politicians).

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls for Unity Jan 11, 2012
Have Coptic priests met the demands of Muslims and apologized?* **

*Muslim religious leaders were not demanded to apologize for the unruly mob that destroyed half a dozen Christian homes.

**I suspect there will be more violence if Christians do not apologize for being the victims.
event horizon

Re: Coptic Pope - Calls For Unity Jan 11, 2012
I'm amazed that you think you know more about the situation in Egypt than the Pope of the Coptic Church.

I'm really not that interested in your wild speculations - they almost always prove to be unfounded hype or fantastical flights of fancy. Let's stick with what the Coptic Pope actually said and the fact he addressed Egyptian Muslim leaders and politicians.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk