Peace Talks To Resume

Topic locked
Peace Talks to Resume Aug 21, 2010
At last there is some movement on the peace talks - with resumption beginning next month.

Israel has won the battle over 'no preconditions', the Palestinians over there being some sort of timescale.

The solution everyone says they are aiming for is clear: 2 state solution and final status agreement on the main issues of i. borders, ii. Jerusalem and iii. refugees.

Let's see how much of the 22% of the land captured in 1967 is negotiated away or swapped, whether Israel will give up the illegally annexed East Jerusalem and how many refugees are allowed back (on both sides).

I predict it will be a drawn out negotiation - but I suspect the usual spin won't be much use this time round. Let's see. I'm hoping for the best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11042430

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 21, 2010
Israel has won the battle over 'no preconditions', yer 43 years ago as for the
how much of the 22% of the land captured in 1967 the answer a big fat `0` when you have the upper hand you dont have to deal you fool :D :D :D
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 22, 2010
In a survey conducted by Kul Al-Arab among 1,000 residents of Um Al-Fahm, 83 percent of respondents opposed the idea of transferring their city to Palestinian jurisdiction, while 11 percent supported the proposal and 6 percent did not express their position

source:wiki

Arabs rather wnat to live in Israel ("the racist apartheid state") than fall under Pali jurisdiction.

Where some Israeli parties want to give land with the 67 armictice lines to the PA, the Arabs refuse.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Peace Talks To Resume Aug 22, 2010
Loons are really worried about peace. In fact the term 'peace offensive' was coined because of this fear:

The main obstacle to Israel's annexation of occupied Palestinian territory was the PLO. Having endorsed the two-state settlement in the mid-1970s, it could no longer be dismissed as simply a terrorist organization bent on Israel's destruction. Indeed, pressures mounted on Israel to reach an agreement with the PLO's "compromising approach." Consequently in June 1982 Israel invaded Lebanon, where Palestinian leaders were headquartered, to head off what Israeli strategic analyst Avner Yaniv dubbed the PLO's "peace offensive."

http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/article.php?ar=10&pg=4

Umm al Fahm is a place within Israel, primarily inhabited by Arab Israelis. Why wouldn't Arab Israelis be happy to remain in their homes in Israel? There aren't any colonials taking their land in Umm al Fahm, and the municipality is run by Arabs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umm_al-Fahm

(And would it kill loons to give actual references which we can look up? :shock: )

Ask the same question to those living under apartheid restrictions in occupied territories - and especially the illegally annexed East Jerusalem and you'll find that the loon selective reasoning doesn't apply.

In fact, the Zionists want to get rid of as many non-Jews as they can - so they will indeed wish to deprive Arab Israelis of their citizenship, and it is understandable that they would rather not go from citizenship to occupation. Would you?

FD - when will you wake up and realise that Israeli spin no longer works.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mr. Geert Wilders went to Cairo. It was poor and incredibly dirty. My friend and I were amazed that such a poor and filthy place could be a neighbor of Israel, which was so clean. The explanation of the Arabs, with whom we discussed their poverty, was that they were not in any way to blame for this affliction: They said they were the victims of a global conspiracy of “imperialists” and “Zionists”, aimed at keeping Muslims poor and subservient. I found that explanation unconvincing. My instinct told me it had something to do with the different cultures of Israel and Egypt.

Wilders nominated for free speech prize

Dutch Euro-MP Barry Madlener, who is a member of the Freedom party, has put forward his party leader Geert Wilders as a candidate for the Sakharov Prize. The prize, named after the Soviet dissident Andrei Sakharov, is awarded annually by the European parliament to individuals and organisations that have contributed significantly to freedom of speech.
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Ah, FD had to go back to a report from 2000 to make his point (which sort of explains why there wasn't an exact reference). I got the extract from Memri (which I suspect is where the wiki quote also comes from - so perhaps it was embarrassment instead of sloppiness?)

"Um Al-Fahm Prefers Israel," by Joseph Algazy, Ha'aretz, August 1, 2000.

"During the [recent] Camp David summit and even during the preparations that made for it, the subject of territorial exchange between Israel and the Palestinian state was raised for the umpteenth time. According to the proposal, some of the Jewish settlements in the territories would remain under Israeli sovereignty, in return for the transfer of Israeli Arab communities in the Northern Triangle region, including the city of Um Al-Fahm, to Palestinian control. The advocates of this proposal have never bothered to consult with the individuals who would be immediately involved in such an exchange - namely, the [Arab] residents of those communities, who are Israeli citizens."

"Those advocates should realize that the [Arab] residents themselves are totally opposed to the idea. During the present round of Palestinian-Israeli talks, the head of the 'Abna Al-Balad' ('Sons of the Village') group, Raja Aghbariya, who lives in Um al Fahm, declared, in an interview published in the Nazareth weekly Kul Al-Arab, that he is 'prepared to give up the National Insurance allowance [he gets as an Israeli citizen] and Israeli democracy to be united with the land and people of Palestine.'"

"A few days later, the results of a survey conducted by Kul Al-Arab indicated a completely different view among the city's residents."

"In the survey conducted among 1,000 residents [of Um Al-Fahm], both male and female, from all of the town's clans and large families as well as all segments of the local political spectrum, 83 percent of respondents opposed the idea of transferring their city to Palestinian jurisdiction, while 11 percent supported the proposal and 6 percent did not express their position. Of those opposed to the idea, 54 percent explained that they were against becoming part of a Palestinian state because they wanted to continue living under a democratic regime and enjoying a good standard of living, which includes National Insurance allowances and pensions. Of these opponents, 18 percent stated that they were satisfied with their present situation, that they were born in Israel and that they were not interested in moving to any other state. Another 14 percent of this same group went so far as to say that they were not prepared to make sacrifices for the sake of the creation of a Palestinian state and to be its "sacrificial offering of atonement." Another 11 percent cited no reason for their opposition to the annexation of their city by the Palestinian state."

"In addition to the fact that their parents and grandparents in 1948 decided to remain on their lands, Um Al-Fahm residents themselves have, over the past few years, gained first-hand knowledge of the regime of terror, oppression and corruption that exists in the Palestinian Authority under Chairman Yasser Arafat. The residents of Um Al-Fahm have expressed not only their own views and feelings but also the views and feelings of Israel's Arab community in general as well as of many Palestinians who today live in the PA and who, irrespective of their political aspirations for the end of the Israeli occupation, are opposed to the way Arafat and his followers are managing affairs.

So, another loon selective quote has been exposed. Really FD, you must know that these tactics show how desperate you guys are now that Israel's tactics have been exposed!

I mean, quoting a survey done in 2000 which stated that they didn't want to have corrupt Fatah (not Hamas) rule over them and then generalising this for Palestinians as a whole, well that is just deceitful and wrong. Shame on you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Ask the same question to those living under apartheid restrictions in occupied territories - and especially the illegally annexed East Jerusalem and you'll find that the loon selective reasoning doesn't apply.

Show me. It seems to be a trend, that people whine about Israel, but when push comes to shove they run with their tails to Israel. They donot even mind the distance between Sudan and Israel. Reminds me of this Lebanon village where a referendum was held amongst Arabs, no surprise the vast majority wanted to be included into Israel. Also, Ahmadiyydi's admit Israel is a safe heaven for them.

More on topic, Hamas is not supportive of the peace talks and actually have a point when they argue that the mandate for Abbas ended beginning this year.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

You want me to show you that those living under occupation don't want to not live under occupation?

Are you for real?

You also appear to have no shame that you quoted selectively from a survey carried out in 2000 where the respondents were clear that they were against the corruption of Fatah at the time. Sigh.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:You want me to show you that those living under occupation don't want to not live under occupation?

Yeah, would be interesting to see whether Arabs in the disputed areas rather want to live under Israeli or Pali juricdiction. Up until now with polls and referendum I have only see results where Arabs prefer to live under Israeli jurisdiction, when given the choice.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Loons must have memory lapses, forgetting that the PLO came into existence to liberate 'occupied' land and carry out terror attacks against Israel before the '67 war.

It's ok. I'm here to remind loons of such things.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Peace Talks To Resume Aug 23, 2010
You like to live in the past don't you eh? Whilst it is good to see you coming to FD's assistance, I'm not sure you're helping. The PLO/Fatah are your side's new bestest friends now - try and keep up young one (I know most of these events took place before you were born, but please don't embarrass yourself so - it's not a pleasant sight).

The notion that colonial powers 'know best' and that subjugated people are happy under colonial rule also is something that belongs in the past.

FD has no shame, it seems, that his selective quote came from a 2000 survey which he wishes to generalise to somehow argue that Palestinians don't want to be free of Israeli occupation! How bizare.

Anyway, it is good to see that you guys have no response to the fact that the dispute is over land and sovereignty and not theology, and that there's no disputing the reports that racist rabbis are becoming more mainstream (and that the support for the discredited IDF is muted). Who says the blind can't be made to see? :wink:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I asked for some backing up this statment and the answer is a series of personal attacks without any substance. :roll:

shafique wrote:Ask the same question to those living under apartheid restrictions in occupied territories - and especially the illegally annexed East Jerusalem and you'll find that the loon selective reasoning doesn't apply.

Although the following article is not about a poll, but street interviews, it might be indicative:

http://www.israelbehindthenews.com/bin/content.cgi?ID=4040&q=1

Although few would say so publicly, every one of the handful of East Jerusalem Arabs I spoke with in the last two weeks said that he would rather live under Israeli sovereignty than under Mahmoud Abbas’s Palestinian Authority.

Asem is in no rush to have East Jerusalem become the capital of a Palestinian state under PA President Abbas. When I ask him if he would prefer to live under Abbas in a state of Palestine, rather than under Israeli sovereignty, he gives me the opposite answer of what I expected.
“No, I would rather live under Israelis than under Abbas.
At least here I can say what I want. In Syria, if you say what you want, you can go missing forever. In Jordan too. And under Abbas, too.

A referendum amongst East-Jerusalemites about the final status will be very interesting.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I also simply asked whether you had any shame over the fact that your quote was from a 2000 survey which cited Fatah's corruption as a major cause of concern for the Arab Israelis?

It's pretty clear that to pretty much all non-fanbois that those living under occupation wish to be liberated - especially those who are losing farms, have their movements restricted etc. Ask those who'se residency has been revoked under the racist policies of Israel. B'tselem have a section devoted to the illegally annexed East Jerusalem:
http://www.btselem.org/English/Jerusalem/

You seem to be asking for evidence that those living under Israeli occupation want to be free of the occupation! And yet you provide only an outdated survey and a report of a handful of Arabs a journalist interviewed! I'm sure there were those in Vichy France that said they preferred Hitler to De Gaul - but be that as it may, looking at the quotes in your linked article clearly shows that their issue is with Fatah's corruption.

Anyway, it seems like nothing more than a sad attempt at smoke and mirrors after your first quote has been exposed as a deceitfully selective quote that can't actually be generalised to the Palestinians as a whole (in the way you tried to do).

It appears that you are amongst those that fear the 'peace offensive' - otherwise, why not join those wishing for peace?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 23, 2010
As this Haaretz editorial clearly states - the issue of building more colonies by the Israelis after the freeze is due to end will establish whether Netanyahu is serious about Peace negotiations or not:

Time to pay up

Soon it will be clear whether Netanyahu's maneuver was an empty one, designed to buy time and ease international criticism of Israel, or whether he is ready for a compromise that will lead to the creation of a Palestinian state.
Haaretz Editorial

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is pleased: The U.S. administration and the Arab League accepted his position and pushed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to renew direct talks with Israel "with no preconditions." Next week Netanyahu and Abbas will be guests in Washington, where they will relaunch the foundered negotiations over the final agreement and the implementation of a two-state solution.

Netanyahu got what he wanted, but now his promises are coming due. Soon it will be clear to all whether his maneuver was an empty one, designed to buy time and ease international criticism of Israeli actions in the territories, or whether he is ready for a compromise that will lead to the creation of a Palestinian state alongside Israel. By expressing doubt at yesterday's cabinet meeting about whether there was a "genuine partner on the Palestinian side," Netanyahu showed that he is preparing an escape route from being blamed for the failure of the talks before they have even begun.

The Middle East Quartet announced that the negotiations could be completed within a year. But Netanyahu's first test will come much sooner - next month when the construction freeze in West Bank settlements ends.

The right is pressuring the prime minister to renew settlement expansion in full force, and Netanyahu is maintaining ambiguity; soon he will be forced to dispel the ambiguity and make a decision.

The choice is clear: The construction freeze must remain in place for the duration of the negotiations.

New building across the Green Line would constitute a provocation and cause the talks to fail. The flimsy excuse under which previous Israeli government expanded the settlements while conducting peace talks with the Palestinians is misleading. The truth is that these actions undermined Israel's credibility and spurred the Palestinians to reject Israel's proposals.

Netanyahu's rationale for the freeze - that it served Israel's interests by demonstrating its desire for peace - is still valid, perhaps even more so.

If the suspension of construction was necessary to get the talks started, it clearly must continue while they are underway. If Netanyahu wants his peace declarations to be believed, they must also be seen in his actions on the ground.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/op ... p-1.309642
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:You seem to be asking for evidence that those living under Israeli occupation want to be free of the occupation! And yet you provide only an outdated survey and a report of a handful of Arabs a journalist interviewed!

I agree the survey is from ten years ago. Perhaps things have changed. However, this is the most recent poll AFAIK specifically asking a group of Israeli Arabs whether they want to live under Israeli jurisdiction or Palestinian jurisdiction. Any more recent polls are very welcome. I actually find it an interesting idea that if a Palestinian state will arise, areas with an Arab majority within the 1967 lines will be transferred to Palestinian jurisdiction. Suggesting that, obviously causes people to have a fit. :shock:

Your statement:

Up until now doesn't hold any ground. People obviously have asked East-Jerusalemites and there seems to be a desire to remain under Israeli jurisdiction. People living in oppresive regimes like Syria and Iran will understand their desire to live in a democratic society with FoS and Freedom of Religion.

shafique wrote:It appears that you are amongst those that fear the 'peace offensive' - otherwise, why not join those wishing for peace?

The real fear seems to be to listen what Palestinians/Arabs really want. Hence, no more elections amongst others.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Up until now, you've produced the selective quote from the 10 year old survey and a journalist saying:
every one of the handful of East Jerusalem Arabs I spoke with in the last two weeks..

'the handful'.

Now, I linked to B'tselem's page on East Jerusalem. I presume you can't dispute their statement of fact:
Israel’s policy gravely infringes the rights of residents of East Jerusalem and flagrantly breaches international law.

East Jerusalem is occupied territory. Therefore, it is subject, as is the rest of the West Bank, to the provisions of international humanitarian law that relate to occupied territory. The annexation of East Jerusalem breaches international law, which prohibits unilateral annexation. For this reason, the international community, including the United States, does not recognize the annexation of East Jerusalem.

So, it comes down a matter of law, doesn't it?

I invited you to join in with those who wish for peace and not remain with those afraid of the 'peace offensive'. I guess the invitation fell on deaf ears.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The best way to find out is a referendum for East-Jerusalemites. But suggesting that, will make people foam again.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Why isn't the best way for Israel to obey the law?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 23, 2010
East-Jerusalem doesn't belong to anybody according to international law.

Fadal Tahabub from the PNC specified that 70 percent of East-Jerusalemites prefer Israeli sovereignty.

Or as an East-Jerusalemite puts it:

The whole world seems to be talking about the future of the Arabs of Jerusalem, but no one has bothered asking us
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Peace Talks To Resume Aug 24, 2010
East Jersualem has been illegally annexed by Israel. I'm not sure how you can spin this fact.

Why ignore what B'tselem highlights?:
Israel’s policy gravely infringes the rights of residents of East Jerusalem and flagrantly breaches international law.

East Jerusalem is occupied territory. Therefore, it is subject, as is the rest of the West Bank, to the provisions of international humanitarian law that relate to occupied territory. The annexation of East Jerusalem breaches international law, which prohibits unilateral annexation. For this reason, the international community, including the United States, does not recognize the annexation of East Jerusalem.

Could it be you condone the racist and illegal Israeli actions? 'flagrantly breaches' the law - indeed!

The Israelis are like theives who wish to keep on to their loot - you're trying to excuse this theft, which even the US does not recognise (which says a lot!).

Anyway, this thread is actually about the Peace Process which is resuming - we'll see whether Netanyahu can deliver or not. I hope he can, but the odds are that the Israelis aren't really interested in peace and will continue to build up their colonies to derail the peace process - but let us see.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Anyway, this thread is actually about the Peace Process which is resuming

Yes, and the opinions of ordinary people concerned should be considered. Their wishes should not be dictated by arrogant ivory tower arm-chair observers.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Fortunately, what you or I think about international law and Israel's crimes doesn't really matter - which is a good thing all round. ;)

Funny how citing facts can be viewed as arrogant, I could label the misuse of selective quotes and ignoring of crimes against humanity and international law, but this time I won't. :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 24, 2010
well the matter of fact is that unless America starts to treat Israel like a "normal" state and sever the umbilical cord, they will never start constructive peace negotiations with palestinians!. and America will only cut it's umbilical cord with israel when it stops it's imperial war on islam.. "Islam and democracy" in islamic nations are still accepted as national treat to American security. Unless Americans get rid of this notion from their national security documents, constructive peace talks in ME will never resume and the whole of ME will continue to stay strained and tense..

As American officials privately acknowledge, sooner or later Israel (or someone) will have to talk to Hamas. From French Algeria through South Africa to the Provisional I.R.A., the story repeats itself: the dominant power denies the legitimacy of the “terrorists,” thereby strengthening their hand; then it secretly negotiates with them; finally, it concedes power, independence or a place at the table. Israel will negotiate with Hamas: the only question is why not now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/opini ... ted=1&_r=1
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Peace Talks to Resume Aug 24, 2010
As stated before their seems to be a real fear for listening to the wishes of the Arabs involved. It was a general remark that perhaps people should listen to the East-Jerusalemites themselves and that dictating their desires is arrogant. Obviously some posters felt spoken to. It is what East Jerusamelites themselves are protesting against.

As for Hamas. Israel should negotiate with one representative of the Palestinians. Since Palestinian elections are of the past, nobody knows who that is. Hamas also opposes the recenty announced peace talks.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD, you really must stop with the smoke and mirrors - no one listens to these Israeli spin stories any more, especially Israelis!

You seem to be arguing that the criminal should get to choose what the definition of crime is (East Jerusalem's illegal annexation) or which laws the criminal should be subject to.

Just because you found one 10 year old survey and a 'handful' of second-hand testimonies does not mean that the world is ignoring the poor East Jerusalem residents living under the illegal annexation!

You're transparently trying to align yourself with the Israelis who want to keep East Jerusalem in Israel - but the problem is that the annexation is illegal and the fair solution will be for the Israelis to keep West Jerusalem and let the Palestinians have East Jerusalem as their capital. Zionists wish to confuse the issue.. but have failed spectacularly.

The fact you can't bring yourself to comment/admit or even acknowledge what B'tselem highlights about East Jerusalem speaks volumes.

Let me repeat what I quoted:

Why do you ignore these facts and fixate on a fantasy instead?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Just because you found one 10 year old survey and a 'handful' of second-hand testimonies does not mean that the world is ignoring the poor East Jerusalem residents living under the illegal annexation!

What is ignored is what East-Jerusalmites themselves want (instead of what 'the world' wants what the East Jerusalemites want), a fact that seems to be very uncomfortable. It was not my initiative to check what they want. But when proposing to ask East Jerusalemites and than ignoring what they want because the results are unexpected, well that was to be expected. If any more recent polls are available, please share.

shafique wrote:You're transparently trying to align yourself with the Israelis who want to keep East Jerusalem in Israel!

Not sure why my opinion or alignments matter, but I couldnt care less whether East Jerusalem will be part of a possible future Pali state or Israel. But it seems the Arab East-Jerusalemites want to be included in Israel.

shafique wrote:The fact you can't bring yourself to comment/admit or even acknowledge what B'tselem highlights about East Jerusalem speaks volumes.!

The fact that the same quote has to be repeated again and again speaks actually volumes. To safe some copy paste work:

shafique wrote:Let me repeat what I quoted:

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Still with the smoke and mirrors? Why do you refuse acknowledge that Israel has broken the law?

BTW - what other criminals/crimes do you support?

No one here is saying that the rights of the East Jerusalem residents should be ignored - in fact, the facts on the ground show that the vast majority of East Jersualem residents who were not Jewish refused to take up Israeli citizenship when it was offered.

As B'tselem points out, the Israelis are in violation of International law (not least made clear in UN resolution 478) and are practicing racist discrimination in Jerusalem. It's a shame you just can't come out and acknowledge that you support Israel keeping hold of East Jerusalem despite these crimes.

At least have the courage of your views and admit that you don't agree with International law.

What is interesting, is that this is probably one of the points that the Israelis will use to sabotage the peace process - a stubborn insistence on breaking the law and keeping East Jerusalem.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Still with the smoke and mirrors? Why do you refuse acknowledge that Israel has broken the law?

projections, projections...

shafique wrote:BTW - what other criminals/crimes do you support?

At least have the courage of your views and admit that you don't agree with International law.

Allrighty, the personal card again. :arrow:

shafique wrote:No one here is saying that the rights of the East Jerusalem residents should be ignored - in fact, the facts on the ground show that the vast majority of East Jersualem residents who were not Jewish refused to take up Israeli citizenship when it was offered.

That is an interesting point. When there was a real chance during previous peace initiatives that East Jerusalem would fall under Palestinian jurisdiction. Arabs ran en masse to get Israeli citizenship. After Husseini threatened with the severe punishments (probably death) for that, applications became less...

shafique wrote:It's a shame you just can't come out and acknowledge that you support Israel keeping hold of East Jerusalem despite these crimes.

Projections...

shafique wrote:At least have the courage of your views and admit that you don't agree with International law.

The personal card again.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

:)

So, you don't have the courage of your convictions.

Loons are pretty shallow - quick to accuse others if they condone crimes, but have when Israel's crimes and injustices are pointed out, suddenly it is everyone else's fault. :)

You brought up East Jerusalem, I merely invited you to join in with the Israelis who really do care about the plight of the residents facing discrimination.

But alas, Israel breaking the law is not something you have been able to spin.

I trust that Netanyahu won't be as evasive.

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:So, you don't have the courage of your convictions.

Again the personal card. :roll:

shafique wrote:You brought up East Jerusalem

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk