Holocaust Survivor - Interfaith Talks

Topic locked
Holocaust Survivor - Interfaith talks Feb 26, 2011
Another positive article - this time about an 86 year old Holocaust survivor choosing to speak at an inter-faith event at a Mosque.

Whilst I'm sure that all DFers will respect his right to speak his mind - as I'm sure he's earned that right, it appears that some people aren't happy that he's choosing to highlight relevant issues and facts that stand in the way of peace, but I think talk is good.

Kudos to Mr Meyer.

Holocaust survivor’s planned talk at mosque angers Sacramento Jewish leaders
By Stephen Magagnini

Sacramento’s carefully cultivated interfaith bonds are being stretched to the limit by an 86-year-old Holocaust survivor who is scheduled to speak at a local mosque about the Nazi Holocaust and Israel’s treatment of Palestinians.

Auschwitz survivor Hajo Meyer makes the 11th stop on his national “Never Again for Anyone” tour at the Sacramento League of Associated Muslims Islamic Center at 7 p.m. tonight.

Meyer has equated the Holocaust to Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories, drawing intense fire from Sacramento’s Jewish community and the Anti-Defamation League.

“Comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is repugnant, anti-Semitic and defiles the sacred memory of millions who perished during the Holocaust,” said Rabbi Reuven H. Taff, president of the 13-member Board of Rabbis of Greater Sacramento, in a civil but emotional exchange of letters with SALAM’s Imam Mohamed Abdul Azeez.

The Board of Rabbis praised Azeez for his bridge-building with other communities of faith, but asked him to either boycott the event or stop it from happening at SALAM. If he doesn’t, Taff said in a letter to him, “then all the good work you are doing to foster relations with the interfaith community will be severely undermined.”

“The event is not going to be canceled,” said Azeez, who encouraged “any of our friends in the Jewish community to attend, ask questions and engage the speakers.”

Azeez noted that eight national organizations and nine local organizations are sponsoring it, including the Florin Japanese American Citizens League and the local chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace.

Azeez said that a member of American Muslims for Palestine reserved the hall and the event is not sponsored by SALAM. He said SALAM’s board investigated the speakers, who in addition to Meyer include UC Berkeley political scientist Hatem Bazian, a Palestinian American.

“You have a Holocaust survivor talking for the first time to the Muslim community about the Holocaust and putting it in a modern context that the rights of all people should be respected,” Azeez said. “The world is changing, and it’s time for us to have more dialogue about these untouchable idols,” such as the Israeli treatment of Palestinians.

Azeez agrees that the rabbis raise a legitimate concern – “any attempt to equate the Holocaust with what is happening in Palestine is an atrocity.”

Azeez said SALAM’s management will not allow the speakers to compare Israel to the Nazis.

But Taff said Meyer’s views are intolerable to the Jewish community, and added that the rabbis could produce Holocaust survivors to talk to Muslim Americans without inciting Muslim-Jewish hostility.
Rabbi Nancy Wechsler-Azen of Congregation Beth Shalom said Meyer’s speeches and writings are “most offensive – the program promotes hate. It’s an attempt to de-legitimize Israel and Judaism, as opposed to having a meaningful discussion over a political policy.”

Wechsler-Azen said the event isn’t the way to heal people “who have such profound wounds between them … we have forged a very meaningful relation with SALAM, and we’re heartsick about this.”

Meyer, in an exclusive interview with The Bee, said he survived 12 years under Hitler and 10 months in Auschwitz.

“I have a number on my arm and they dare to call me an anti-Semite?” he said.

Because he was not allowed to attend high school in Nazi Germany, Meyer said, “I can identify with those Palestinians who undergo slow-motion genocide when they are not allowed to go to their schools,” which have been bombed.

“Nearly all Jewish religious organizations in the world have mixed up Judaism – which is universal, humanistic and friendly to anybody – with Zionism,” said Meyer, who defined Zionism as an ideology based on a well-defined Arab enemy that must be destroyed.

Jon Fish, president of Sacramento’s Interfaith Service Bureau representing major faiths in the region, said Palestine is a social issue, not a religious one.

“The rabbi and the imam have to work it out,” Fish said, “But this might be a no-win situation.”
Taff said he welcomes a discussion between Jews and Muslims “in an atmosphere of collegiality and respect.”

But if SALAM hosts an event that Taff believes is “clearly anti-Semitic,” he said, “it makes it very difficult to sit down at the same table with anyone who supports or endorses a program of hate.”

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/16/340635 ... z1EEagFbNE

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Holocaust Survivor - Interfaith talks Feb 27, 2011
Oh please spare me from another halocaust denial post.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

shafique wrote:Another positive article - this time about an 86 year old Holocaust survivor choosing to speak at an inter-faith event at a Mosque.

Whilst I'm sure that all DFers will respect his right to speak his mind - as I'm sure he's earned that right, it appears that some people aren't happy that he's choosing to highlight relevant issues and facts that stand in the way of peace, but I think talk is good.

Kudos to Mr Meyer.

“Comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is repugnant, anti-Semitic and defiles the sacred memory of millions who perished during the Holocaust,” said Rabbi Reuven H. Taff, president of the 13-member Board of Rabbis of Greater Sacramento, in a civil but emotional exchange of letters with SALAM’s Imam Mohamed Abdul Azeez.

Regards

The Board of Rabbis praised Azeez for his bridge-building with other communities of faith, but asked him to either boycott the event or stop it from happening at SALAM. If he doesn’t, Taff said in a letter to him, “then all the good work you are doing to foster relations with the interfaith community will be severely undermined.”

But if SALAM hosts an event that Taff believes is “clearly anti-Semitic,” he said, “it makes it very difficult to sit down at the same table with anyone who supports or endorses a program of hate.”

Kudos to Mr Meyer? for wanting to talk about his experiences as a holocaust survivor, maybe but his opinions and comparisons of Israel to Nazi Germany is something completely different, there’s nothing ‘relevant’ or ‘factual’ about Holocaust Denial, and that is clearly the agenda of Azeez.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Holocaust Survivor - Interfaith Talks Feb 27, 2011
I do think kudos is due to Mr Meyer.

The shame is that he is labelled an anti-Semite for highlighting facts about the injustices carried out by Israel:

Meyer, in an exclusive interview with The Bee, said he survived 12 years under Hitler and 10 months in Auschwitz.

“I have a number on my arm and they dare to call me an anti-Semite?” he said.

This cynical tactic by people who aren't interested in debate about the very real crimes committed by Israel, is not new. When English MP Gerald Kaufman (who is Jewish and pro-Zionist) stood up in parliament and rightly compared some specific Israel's actions with Nazi actions - he too was called anti-semitic. His words are powerful:

Indeed, some people have even tried to re-define the term anti-Semite to automatically include anyone who rightly points out the actions of Israel which are the same as those carried out by the Nazis. Note that the argument is NOT that Israel didn't carry out the illegal, racist, unjust, immoral etc actions - but that it is anti-semitic to point out that the actions are no different from the same actions carried out by Nazis against Jews.

So, yes, kudos to Mr Meyer and Gerald Kaufman and all those who are not afraid to speak their minds.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So nothing new then?

Kudos to Mr Meyer? for wanting to talk about his experiences as a holocaust survivor, maybe but his opinions and comparisons of Israel to Nazi Germany is something completely different, there’s nothing ‘relevant’ or ‘factual’ about Holocaust Denial, and that is clearly the agenda of Azeez.

Kaufmann was also lambasted for that speech, I dare say if you looked further you would find more similar material where by “Comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is repugnant, anti-Semitic and defiles the sacred memory of millions who perished during the Holocaust,”

Regards
Dillon

Indeed, Kaufman was lambasted - that was the point of me referring to it.

He was lambasted despite the fact what he says is true. He was labelled an anti-Semite for making a reasoned, factual speech.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

He was labelled anti Semitic for making anti Semitic comments!
Dillon

I couldn't find any anti-semitic comments in the excellent speech he made. Only facts and his reasoned conclusions. Did you listen to the whole speech, or are you just repeating the slurs that were made against him for this speech?

You're not re-defining the term anti-semite are you, perchance?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:I couldn't find any anti-semitic comments in the excellent speech he made. Only facts and his reasoned conclusions. Did you listen to the whole speech, or are you just repeating the slurs that were made against him for this speech?

You're not re-defining the term anti-semite are you, perchance?

Cheers,
Shafique

Now some would consider your last comments inflammatory, please read my comments and take them at face value, I said "He was labelled anti Semitic for making anti Semitic comments" that is my considered opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Regards
Dillon

I guess I should respect your unwillingness to answer what I thought were reasonable questions. (I re-read my questions, I couldn't see how they could be considered inflamatory - if anything, they were asking for clarifications based on my inability to find an anti-semitic remark in the speech).

If questions offend you - please feel free to not answer. Sometimes not answering does speak volumes.

But let's get back to what Mr Meyer is actually doing. He's a Holocaust survivor and he is holding a talk in a mosque, recounting his experiences. This is the opposite of Holocaust denial - it is a talk to Muslims to show that the Holocaust did take place and indeed put it in context.

“You have a Holocaust survivor talking for the first time to the Muslim community about the Holocaust and putting it in a modern context that the rights of all people should be respected,” Azeez said. “The world is changing, and it’s time for us to have more dialogue about these untouchable idols,” such as the Israeli treatment of Palestinians.

Azeez agrees that the rabbis raise a legitimate concern – “any attempt to equate the Holocaust with what is happening in Palestine is an atrocity.”

Azeez said SALAM’s management will not allow the speakers to compare Israel to the Nazis.

I suspect what may cause some discomfort to supporters of Israel, is Mr Meyer's observation:
“Nearly all Jewish religious organizations in the world have mixed up Judaism – which is universal, humanistic and friendly to anybody – with Zionism,” said Meyer, who defined Zionism as an ideology based on a well-defined Arab enemy that must be destroyed.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:they were asking for clarifications based on my inability to find an anti-semitic remark in the speech).

Well not surprisingly, that doesn't surprise me at all!
Dillon

Disappointed, but not surprised that we're abandoning debate for glib remarks now. ;)

So, back to Mr Meyer's talks about the Holocaust - surely a good thing for an 86 year old to tell Muslims about his experiences and counter any Holocaust deniers that may be attending?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Meyer is a disgrace to his own memory and the memory of many others. The nazi effort was an unique industrialized effort to exterminate whole nations. Pali Arabs are one of the best of in the ME, Pali population is growing rapid. And no gas chambers in Gaza, but people eating boeuf stroganoff, enjoy an Olympic swimming pool and a recently opened shopping mall. Life in Gaza is better than many other surrounding countries.

Still, if Meyer or his offspring ever gets prosecuted because of his ethinicity, he can always find refuge with what he calls nazi's.

It is extremely cynical that anti-semites are trying to hide behind a holocaust surivivor.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

shafique wrote:I guess I should respect your unwillingness to answer what I thought were reasonable questions.

[If questions offend you - please feel free to not answer. Sometimes not answering does speak volumes.
/quote]

Thanks for the explanation Shaf. Spoken like a true master.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Amazingly, I find myself in agreement with the Imam:

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk