Palestine Recognised By UNESCO

Topic locked
Re: Palestine Recognised By UNESCO Oct 11, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
shafique wrote:FD - do you really think that everyone else has the problem, and that they are all delusional when they point the lies in your posts, and your selective quotes intended to mislead?

Calling people primitive monkeys and slyly and cynically demonising Palestinians (or Palis as you deliberately insulting call them) is just ugly. If this is the only way you know how to defend Israel when her crimes are exposed, you do more harm for her cause than good.

There's a reason why BM is now complaining that people are 'ganging up' on you and the few who share your views. You've painted yourselves into a lonely corner where logic and facts don't seem to exist.

The irony is that so many Israelis don't share your extremist views - be they about 'Palis' or the crimes of Israeli state.

Cheers,
Shafique

For once in your life why don't you shut your mouth? If Bora and FD have a problem, why not just let them get on with it? You are just a stirring little sh1t who can't wait to jump in and stir it up. And you do the same BM! Pot calling the kettle black!

For the record.
FD, much as I love you, you are wrong about Bora. She is a very sweet person. Unfortunatley people can come across in a bad light when they post. I'm not saying she is coming across that way, just that you may have interpreted it as such. Bora is being completely mistreated by FD, but that's only because he can't support his "facts" with evidence or a balanced discussion from multiple perspectives. Still, Bora has now used foul language like I have in Fight Club. You think I'm a terrible person, but BB is still sweet? Poor me. :lol:

Bora
People hit out when they are cornered. They don't mean to, but we are all human. Jews v Muslims is an emotive issue. I took mega offence when Chocs likened me to Hitler. My grandfather fought against the Nazis in WW2 and was never the same man after he helped liberate Belsen. I'm afraid we have to take insults on the chin on DF much as they hurt. Being likened to Symcopath has hit you hard, I can see.
You aren't even in the same league Bora, I know that. x If only you'd show the same compassion to others that you reserve for BB.

BM, you post in so many threads without contributing anything useful to the thread topic. Those of us who are discussing on the topic are doing a fine job of dealing with FD ourselves. Maybe it is you who should be quiet here, unless you want to discuss the thread topic? If you share the same views as FD, then you are welcome to provide the support for your opinions. So far all I can see is you and FD taking about posters instead of sticking to the discussion of the negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. Until I see that people want to discuss instead of name-call, I'm no longer going to bother.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Oct 11, 2011
Apart from the arguments about whether Palestine deserves a state and all the other FD nonsense do you think they will succeed in -

1. Getting the 2/3 majority at the sec council before the US veto?
2. Getting general assembly recognition as a non-member state?

Getting No.2 would mean they can go to the ICC which they have already stated they plan to go to asap regarding Gaza.

While I truly hope they get the 9 votes I fear they won't. I think getting the general assembly blessing is a given considering the number of countries that has recognised them outside of the UN.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Other than the US veto I don't see why not, unless there is some serious diplomatic wrangling going on behind the scene by the Izzies and the US, which I'm sure there is, they go into serious spin overdrive over the smallest things, this in terms of that is huge. Maybe the'll get one of their other cronies like the UK or France to cast a veto instead. This way the US saves face and Izz gets what it wants. Win win situation from their perspective and we all know about the French !

But it will be a good day for the world if it does happen.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Oct 11, 2011
No need to spend too much time worrying about it munchkin as it won't happen.
Bethsmum

Kanelli, if calling someone a shithead is foul language then I am guilty. In the future I'll be more careful and call him a dodohead or a poopoohead. :D It all comes down to the same thing. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Kanelli, if calling someone a shithead is foul language then I am guilty. In the future I'll be more careful and call him a dodohead or a poopoohead. :D It all comes down to the same thing. :lol:

I didn't read Kanellis post until I read yours Bora, I figured it was more Reverend Mother blah blah.

She seems a bit jealous of you Bora :cry:
Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:Kanelli, if calling someone a shithead is foul language then I am guilty. In the future I'll be more careful and call him a dodohead or a poopoohead. :D It all comes down to the same thing. :lol:

I should have done the same so I wouldn't have gotten myself into so much trouble. I should have realized that "bollocks" is very bad indeed, and should have wiped the "f" word from my vocab completely, oh - and instead of "bit.ch" I should have said "very mean woman". Consider me reformed! :lol:

We are so off-topic again!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:

I should have done the same so I wouldn't have gotten myself into so much trouble. I should have realized that "bollocks" is very bad indeed, and should have wiped the "f" word from my vocab completely, oh - and instead of "bit.ch" I should have said "very mean woman". Consider me reformed! :lol:

Then follow you're own advice and shut the f*ck up.
Bethsmum

Oh...Angry no booze BM is back ! Make a quick supermarket run to get a few bottles of drain cleaner so you'll mellow down a bit :D
desertdudeshj

Bethsmum wrote:
kanelli wrote:

Then follow you're own advice and shut the f*ck up.

Don't be such a very mean woman BM!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

:shock:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

desertdudeshj wrote:Oh...Angry no booze BM is back ! Make a quick supermarket run to get a few bottles of drain cleaner so you'll mellow down a bit :D

I buy my Chardonnay at the filling station.
Bethsmum

Doesn't matter where you get your drain cleaner from, gulp down a bottle or two already, before you explode.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Doesn't matter where you get your drain cleaner from, gulp down a bottle or two already, before you explode.

Only two? :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
Bethsmum

Re: Palestine Recognised By UNESCO Oct 12, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/world ... .html?_r=1

NYTIMES wrote:“We need the issue of the state of Palestine to be resolved in the U.N. system,” said Riyad Mansour, the Palestinian envoy to the United Nations. Unesco, Mr. Mansour said, “is one place where we can acquire our rightful place among the community of nations as a full member.”

Membership would allow Palestinian officials to seek the protection of Palestinian historical sites by the cultural organization, other officials noted. That would create further conflict with Israel. For instance, some of those sites are in east Jerusalem, which Israel has annexed.

The executive board approved a draft resolution for membership, sponsored by several Arab states, by a 40-to-4 vote. Fourteen delegations abstained, including those from Belgium, France, Italy and Spain, while the American delegation joined Germany, Latvia and Romania in opposing the measure. (Israel does not presently sit on the executive board, where membership rotates.) Russia joined African and Arab states, among others, in support.

Palestinians have held observer status at the United Nations and Unesco since the mid-1970s.

I think that maybe UNESCO isn't really the best organization to deal with the situation, but it is a foot in the door for more measures to be taken by the UN. This move is a clear sign that many in the international community want a two state solution for Israel and Palestine to be agreed and finalized sooner rather than later. They are thumbing their noses at those countries who seek to block Palestine from asserting itself.

The US and Israel have stated how detrimental it would be to UNESCO if US funding would be cut, which equates to 22% of the UNESCO budget, but I'm really hoping that UNESCO members who are in favour of standing up for Palestine will stick by their convictions, no matter the financial cost of doing so.

Israel shouldn't object to Palestine asking for protected status for some of its landmarks which are currently annexed by Israel, as Israel continues to illegally build settlements on disputed territory.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Oct 12, 2011
The most positive thing I take away from UNESCO is just the fact that they have stood up to the US and this funding withdrawl and made the right decision. The US has used this as their stick many times before to good effect, its one of their best foreign policy tools. This decision highlights the issue is just too big to be bullied on any longer.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Oct 31, 2011
Well, the vote was quite convincing in the end:

The UN cultural organisation has voted strongly in favour of membership for the Palestinians - a move opposed by Israel and the United States.

Of 173 countries voting, 107 were in favour, 14 opposed and 52 abstained.

Under US law, Washington can now withdraw funding to Unesco. This would deprive the agency of some $70m (£43.7m) - more than 20% of its budget.

The UN Security Council will vote next month on whether to grant the Palestinians full UN membership.

Membership of Unesco - perhaps best known for its World Heritage Sites - may seem a strange step towards statehood, says the BBC's Jon Donnison, in Ramallah, but Palestinian leaders see it as part of a broader push to get international recognition and put pressure on Israel.

This is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join since submitting their bid for recognition to the Security Council in September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15518173

Now, let's see what the fall out is.

Should be interesting.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Oct 31, 2011
fall out will be a steamy turd, nothing more :lol:
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Palestine Recognised by UNESCO Nov 02, 2011
UNESCO voting has also showed us that USA, Canada and Germany are the most influential countries where Jewish diaspora still have larger control and manipulation over their decision making..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk