European Terrorism Deaths 2009 - Facts Vs Hype

Topic locked
European Terrorism Deaths 2009 - facts vs hype Jun 23, 2012
In 2009, Europe had a total of 367 terrorism deaths (Turkey included). Of those 367 deaths, 337 (92%) occurred in Russia.

Facts vs hype.

p. 13 report & p. 18 report

http://www.nctc.gov/witsbanner/docs/200 ... rorism.pdf

rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: European Terrorism Deaths 2009 - Facts Vs Hype Jun 24, 2012
To me there is nothing much worse than this kind of terrorism...

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Thanks Berrin.

Did anyone spot what the 'hype' eh was referring to in his OP?

The reports are useful - and show that there were no deaths in the EU by Islamic terrorists in those years - and yet the hype from Islamophobes is that the threat to EU citizens from these terrorists is higher than it actually is.

Most of the killings are by separatists - be they in Russia, Turkey or Spain.

And it is still funny that this right winger is classing Turkey as European. ;) (Your fellow right-wing ideologues in Europe won't be happy with you. )

When looking at hate-motivated attacks, since 2009, we've have indeed had other terrorist attacks in Europe - Brievik and Merah. One is a '100% Christian' and a self-styled modern-day crusader who hated Muslims enough to kill Norwegian teenagers in protest in a most un-Christian like terrorist attack, the other a Muslim who killed Muslims and Jews because of his deranged unIslamic delusions.

But kudos to eh - you've provided facts in the linked to report. Well done.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Most of the killings are by separatists - be they in Russia, Turkey or Spain.

And it is still funny that this right winger is classing Turkey as European.

The report includes Turkey. If I could exclude Turkey, I would to show European terrorism deaths outside Russia are even lower.

And, indeed, most killings are by "separatists" in Russia - 92% of 'em!

But they're classified as "Sunni Extremist" in the report. Hence, most terrorism in Europe is carried out by Sunni extremists.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

^By the same token the separatists in Ireland are Catholic Extremists and the separatists in Spain are Christian Extremists.

Bales is a US terrorist who targetted Muslim women, children and men - but the report does not consider him a terrorist.

A rose by any other name..

But my point is still well made - that in the EU there were exactly zero deaths by Islamic terrorists in recent years (at least until Merah) - and since then, Brievik's slaughter outweighs Merah's by some margin. ETA and Irish groups (and others) carry out more than 99% of terrorist acts in the EU - including 99 viable bombs by the Irish terrorists.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: European Terrorism Deaths 2009 - facts vs hype Jun 24, 2012
^By the same token the separatists in Ireland are Catholic Extremists and the separatists in Spain are Christian Extremists.

Apparently you don't know what "by the same token" actually means.

Are separatists in Spain and IRA seeking to establish Catholic theocracies? I actually thought the IRA was/is openly secular. Have they changed their platform and group's ideology to become Christian extremist?

Bales is a US terrorist who targetted Muslim women, children and men - but the report does not consider him a terrorist.

Nope - just as with the Columbine school shooters, he does not meet the NCTC's definition of terrorism.

A rose by any other name..

Right; and a bat is a bird. A bat has wings and flies - just like most birds. Ergo, bats are birds!

Wow, you've thought this out so thoroughly, as I can see.

that in the EU there were exactly zero deaths by Islamic terrorists in recent years (at least until Merah) - and since then, Brievik's slaughter outweighs Merah's by some margin. ETA and Irish groups (and others) carry out more than 99% of terrorist acts in the EU - including 99 viable bombs by the Irish terrorists.

Actually, as you've been told several times, Norway is not part of the EU; so you can't compare Merah and Breivik using statistics without also including Russia.

Another fail.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Why do simple facts result in rants from you?

You seem obsessed with labelling killers and terrorists - I just have the same view of them all. You're obsessed with the religion of terrorists who happen to be Muslim, and don't like it when we use the same label for non-Muslim terrorists (who carry out 99% of actual terror attacks in the EU).

I am indeed comparing Brievik's slaughter of civilians with Merah - because in your OP you are including non-EU countries. Make up your mind eh. Sheesh.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sorry, it was difficult to understand your point when you mentioned Breivik, Merah and the EU all in the same paragraph. It sounded like you once again confused Europe for the EU; which, if you didn't would make it difficult to explain why you didn't mention that the vast majority of terrorism deaths in the past decade have occurred in Russia - not Norway or even France!
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Yes, I've noticed you're easily confused and even forget what you posted.

In my thread about there being zero deaths by Islamist terrorists in the EU, that was because I was referring to official Europol statistics. Russia, Turkey and Norway are indeed excluded in those stats.

That 99% of terror attacks in the EU are carried out by non-Muslims is therefore not in question.

The fact that the majority of terror attacks are by separatists in the EU, is mirrored by the separatist terrorism in Turkey and Russia. You wish to distinguish between these separatists - based on religion. That's because you are obsessed with all things Muslim.

Brievik's terrorism is as bad as Merah's - only he killed more people. I condemn both - the fact that Brievik calls himself '100% Christian' and Merah considers himself a Muslim is neither here nor there - they are both terrorists first.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You wish to distinguish between these separatists - based on religion. That's because you are obsessed with all things Muslim.

Hey, I can't help if the NCTC classifies one terrorist group religious extremists and the IRA/Basque as leftist/political/anarchist.

One group fighting for a theocracy seems pretty clear to me that they're more than just "separatists". Presumably, their fighting would end if Russia became a religious theocracy to their liking or if they could join another state that is.

Do you agree that since 9/11, the vast majority of fatalities from terrorist attacks have been carried out by Sunni extremist terrorists?

And that if we look to Europe overall, the vast majority of terrorism deaths (Norway included) occur in Russia?
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

If we look at Europe as a whole - then yes, the majority of terrorist attacks are by separatists.

In the EU part of Europe, 99% of terror attacks are by non-Muslim - the separatists are Christian. In Turkey and Russia the separatists are Muslim. The republican Irish terrorists happen to be Catholic and they happen to be targetting Protestants.

Brievik is a Christian Terrorist, Merah a Muslim terrorist. Both loners and both unrepresentative of their religions.

Not difficult concepts to grasp.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'd rather use the term political terrorist, or right/left wing terrorist in cases where terrorists have primarily listed political reasons for their actions. If religion is only a minor point, often used as back-up justification to support one or two political views, then why should religion take prominence when labelling them as terrorists? e.g. Christian terrorist or Islamic terrorist
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: European Terrorism Deaths 2009 - facts vs hype Jun 25, 2012
Brievik is a Christian Terrorist, Merah a Muslim terrorist. Both loners and both unrepresentative of their religions.

Actually, a) Merah's brother has been arrested for involvement and b) Merah joined a jihadi pipeline (like 1000's before him) to fight in Afghanistan.

In Turkey and Russia the separatists are Muslim.

Yup - and it's in Russia where 92% of terrorist fatalities in Europe occurred.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk