Egyptian Curricula States Jews, Christians Are Infidels

Topic locked
Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jun 28, 2011
Not only does the curriculum teach children to hate the other (infidels) but Christian youth who attend Egyptian public schools are a captive audience to this message:

Egypt’s school curriculum, laden with anti-Semitic and anti-Christian sentiment, must undergo drastic reform to comply with international standards, according to a new report to be presented this week at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

“Egypt has to conduct fundamental reforms in its curricula, which present a national identity based solely on the Islamic religion,” said Yohanan Manor, chairman and co-founder of the Institute for Monitoring Peace and Cultural Tolerance in School Education (IMPACT-SE), the Jerusalembased think-tank that compiled the report.

“Egypt’s schools present Islam as the ‘only true faith,’ and believers in other religions – including Coptic Christians – as infidels,” he said.

What's also interesting is that while the authorities under Mubarak promised to reform school curricula to remove references to Jihad and language that promotes intolerance and violence against non-Muslims, the Muslim Brotherhood at the time said they were against such measures:

The Muslim Brotherhood flatly rejected any talk of education reform, while several news outlets took positions in favor.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=226874

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Egyptian Curricula States Jews, Christians Are Infidels Jun 28, 2011
From an Israeli publication. :o Must be true if the Israelis say so. :roll: :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jun 29, 2011
If you read the article, it must be true because previous Egyptian education ministers said so.
event horizon

Re: Egyptian Curricula States Jews, Christians Are Infidels Jun 29, 2011
:lol: do u know there is schools in Egypt managed by Chris sisters!!! and I am sorry to disappoint you but my cousin's school name was "ecole saint vincent", and as normal it has more Muslims than Christians due to the population...

try again EH :D, but I have to agree on curriculum in Egypt is a bit $hity and needs change ASAP...
and they don't teach us "believers in other religions – including Coptic Christians – as infidels,” crap again :D ... may be we believe so in a way, as any other religion in the world believe about others, not as enemies... coz definitely everyone believes his/her religion is correct and else are wrong..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Egyptian Curricula States Jews, Christians Are Infidels Jun 29, 2011
My kids went to school in Cairo for 7 years, where it was a big melting pot and a very happy bunch of kids.

Quite the opposite from UK schools in my opinion!
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jun 29, 2011
Looks like these Egyptians didn't attend the same school you attended:

Eight houses burnt as anti-Christian violence rises in Upper Egypt

More than 200 Muslims torch eight Christian homes on Saturday morning in the Upper Egyptian village of Awlad Khalaf (Suhaj), after the local Christian community was accused of planning to build an unauthorised church. More Coptic girls are being abducted and forced to convert to Islam. Human rights activists complain about poor security in the country’s poorer areas following the fall of the Mubarak regime.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Eight-ho ... 21953.html
event horizon

Re: Egyptian Curricula States Jews, Christians Are Infidels Jun 30, 2011
I am not going to go through much of discussions with you EH, if you believe everything on internet its ur problem, but I am sure u know nothing about Egypt (or any other country I guess :D :)....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

The view from his basement room is pretty bleak.
desertdudeshj

I'm starting to feel sorry for the young man - when faced with facts and stats that contradict what he was taught at Bible camp, the poor lad has to resort to musing about how people end their posts. Sad, so sad. :D

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I grew up around different sects of Christianity teaching in their Sunday school and bible groups how all the other sects and other religions are wrong and people will go to hell. Many American schools will not teach evolution. In my high school, evolution was the last topic on the biology syllabus, but somehow there was never enough time in the semester to cover it...

All over the world there are buildings being burned in retaliation for many reasons. Millions of women have and continue to be abducted and sold into slavery and the se.x trade.

So many terrible things are happening in this world that have nothing to do with Islam. Get some bloody perspective EH!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

shafique wrote:I'm starting to feel sorry for the young man - when faced with facts and stats that contradict what he was taught at Bible camp, the poor lad has to resort to musing about how people end their posts. Sad, so sad. :D

Cheers,
Shafique

I've been feeling sorry for you for ages. When confronted with others views you just repeat repeat repeat your biased crap.

sad and bloody boring.

Cheers
BM
Bethsmum

Re: Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jun 30, 2011
So it's ok if Egyptian schools teach intolerance and hatred but not ok if Israelis were teaching children hatred and intolerance?

kanelli wrote:In my high school, evolution was the last topic on the biology syllabus, but somehow there was never enough time in the semester to cover it...

Well, that certainly does explain your views on the 'white race headed for extinction' thread. Perhaps the others who are afraid of science have never covered evolution either?
event horizon

So EH, your superior knowledge of evolution has led you to the conclusion that white physical features will not eventually be found in a minority of people in the future? If you are going to shoot your mouth off about my "uninformed" opinion in that thread, you should back it up with a detailed explanation about where I've gone wrong. While you're at it, you should have a talk to Herve about his interpretation of biology.

The area I lived in was full of devoutly Christian folks who would kick up a stink if they saw that their kids were studying evolution. Not all of parents would, but the teacher obviously wanted to avoid conflict. Students were given enough in the unit descriptions to self-study, and many of the atheists and not-so-devout religious folk taught their kids about evolution.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

So it's ok if Egyptian schools teach intolerance and hatred but not ok if Israelis were teaching children hatred and intolerance?

the only point, they don't teach that in Egyptian schools :D ... can u give me a school name coz I've been to 4 schools in 3 different cities and didn't learn what u r declaring...
EH knows about My country more than I do, wow...

BTW mate if u want the negative points in Egypt, ask me and I will gold plate it to you :)
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Eh knows everything better than everyone else !
desertdudeshj

Mahmoud04 wrote:

the only point, they don't teach that in Egyptian schools :D ... can u give me a school name coz I've been to 4 schools in 3 different cities and didn't learn what u r declaring...
EH knows about My country more than I do, wow...

BTW mate if u want the negative points in Egypt, ask me and I will gold plate it to you :)

The article came to different conclusion than you. Even former Egyptian education ministers agreed Egyptian schools need to reform what they teach Egyptians of other religions.
event horizon

Mahmoud04 wrote:EH knows about My country more than I do, wow...

I'm sure he thinks he does! :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This is quite ironic coming from someone who wanted to lecture me on the beliefs of Americans concerning evolution only a few months ago.

dubai-politics-talk/chomsky-more-fundamentalist-than-saudi-arabia-taliban-t42458-15.html

And let's not even go to one poster's obsession with Israel.
event horizon

^^^
Oh look, more what aboutery
desertdudeshj

How is that 'what-aboutery'? I'm pointing out that if the views of the article should be disregarded because they don't fit Mahmoud's standards for 'knowing' Egypt, then shafique's views on Israel/US (based on articles) could hardly pass Mahmoud's standards (which shafique has already endorsed) as well.

No, that's not what-aboutery. It's classic self ownership.

-- Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 pm --

How is that 'what-aboutery'? I'm pointing out that if the views of the article should be disregarded because they don't fit Mahmoud's standards for 'knowing' Egypt, then shafique's views on Israel/US (based on articles) could hardly pass Mahmoud's standards (which shafique has already endorsed) as well.

No, that's not what-aboutery. It's classic self ownership.
event horizon

Re: Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jul 01, 2011
spot on DDS. Another case of what-aboutery.

Let's remind ourselves of how the Israeli journalist describes this trait and compare it with the posts above:

shafique wrote:I came across this quote from Anthony Julius today in Haaretz. He disapproves of a commonly seen fanbois tactic in these forums. 'A playground defense' and 'least attractive form of defense'.

Q: What about those who argue that the disproportionate attention paid to Israel and its actions is in some way itself tainted with anti-Semitism?

A: This is what is called "what about-ery." What about this other country, or that one. I think it's the least attractive form of defense. To say "Well, yes, maybe I did do this and this, but over there, they did worse." Well, this creates a playground defense when you are resisting a punishment from the teacher, but I don't think it has any real moral weight to it. Criticisms have to be addressed in their own terms, and if they are felt to be disproportionate it's unfortunate, but I don't think it necessarily is anti-Semitism.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/fe ... s-1.305875

dubai-politics-talk/what-about-ery-t42765.html

Guilty as charged. Again.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Egyptian curricula states Jews, Christians are infidels Jul 01, 2011
*Yawn*

Except it's not, see above.
event horizon