Australia To Ban Muslim Veil

Topic locked
Australia to ban muslim veil Jul 10, 2011
I salute Aussies for following France in making it illegal for muslim women to hide their face behind a veil.
http://news.yahoo.com/australian-law-mu ... 25536.html

herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Australia To Ban Muslim Veil Jul 10, 2011
Did you read the article Herve?? If so, then you should be able to distinguish the differences in law. France has banned the veil, meaning it cannot be worn in public. Australia is not banning the veil but what they are doing is making it law that if a women is wearing a veil and is required by a representative of law enforcement to provide photo ID, the woman must remove or lift the veil so that the law office can confirm that it is one and the same person. Far cry from banning.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

^Seems like a sensible law to me.

Herve - try running through future articles via Google Translate, it works very well. You'll then understand why people will laugh at your error of comprehension. A law which requires a woman to lift her veil when confirming ID for security/official reasons is not the same as a ban.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:^Seems like a sensible law to me.

Herve - try running through future articles via Google Translate, it works very well. You'll then understand why people will laugh at your error of comprehension. A law which requires a woman to lift her veil when confirming ID for security/official reasons is not the same as a ban.

Cheers,
Shafique

I understand what you mean , I know it is not the same, now you are being naive, they had to word that way to pass the law but it is a ban in effect, let s see how many muslim women will continue to wear the veil when they are constantly being pulled over "for security reasons".
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Must be fun to live in Hervy's little fantasy land, eh ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

herve wrote:
shafique wrote:^Seems like a sensible law to me.

Cheers,
Shafique

I understand what you mean , I know it is not the same, now you are being naive, they had to word that way to pass the law but it is a ban in effect, let s see how many muslim women will continue to wear the veil when they are constantly being pulled over "for security reasons".

Clearly you don't understand the article, me or Shaf. It is not a ban!!! Maybe it's a step towards something "bigger"? but for now women are allowed to wear a veil, they just need to lift it for the purposes of identification to law enforcement agents.

This is you twisting something to suit your purpose (hatred?), as you did on several occasions in your book. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Australia to ban muslim veil Jul 10, 2011
Two things I've learned in this thread

1) Bora expects people to read articles (I agree, starting with her)
2) The usual suspects are decrying this legislation as 'Islamophobic'

Critics say the bill smacks of anti-Muslim bias given how few women in Australia wear burqas. In a population of 23 million, only about 400,000 Australians are Muslim. Community advocates estimate that fewer than 2,000 women wear face veils, and it is likely that even a smaller percentage drives.

"It does seem to be very heavy handed, and there doesn't seem to be a need," said Australian Council for Civil Liberties spokesman David Bernie. "It shows some cultural insensitivity."

"It is a religious issue here," said Mouna Unnjinal, a mother of five who has been driving in Sydney in a niqab for 18 years and has never been booked for a traffic offense.
"We're going to feel very intimidated and our privacy is being invaded," she added.

It's also a good to remember what spurred this legislation in the first place:

The laws were motivated by the bungled prosecution of Carnita Matthews, a 47-year-old Muslim mother of seven who was booked by a highway patrolman for a minor traffic violation in Sydney in June last year.

An official complaint was made in Matthews' name against Senior Constable Paul Fogarty, the policeman who gave her the ticket. The complaint accused Fogarty of racism and of attempting to tear off her veil during their roadside encounter.

Unknown to Matthews, the encounter was recorded by a camera inside Fogarty's squad car. The video footage showed her aggressively berating a restrained Fogarty and did not support her claim that he tried to grab her veil before she reluctantly and angrily lifted it to show her face.

Matthews was sentenced in November to six months in jail for making a deliberately false statement to police.

But that conviction and sentence were quashed on appeal last month without her serving any time in jail because a judge was not convinced that it was Matthews who signed the false statutory declaration. The woman who signed the document had worn a burqa and a justice of the peace who witnessed the signing had not looked beneath the veil to confirm her identity.
event horizon

Bora Bora wrote:
Clearly you don't understand the article, me or Shaf. It is not a ban!!! ..

This is you twisting something to suit your purpose (hatred?), as you did on several occasions in your book. :D

:shock:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Australia to ban muslim veil Jul 10, 2011
Who could ever understand Sir Shafique's twisted logic?

I liked Herve's book. It was written by him and his view of what happened. I think if I'd been through what he had I'd be a bit biased too. He's allowed to be biased, he's human.

And I'd make allowances for someone with that accent :bounce:
Bethsmum

Re: Australia To Ban Muslim Veil Jul 11, 2011
Even if they did ban the veil it would be sensible. Some people need to learn that there is no acceptable justification for brainwashing women into hiding their faces in public in the name of modesty. The Quran doesn't say that women should do so, so there is no religious support for that practice, even if some claim there is. People will kick up a stink for a while and then get over it, or else they'll move to another country that accepts people hiding their faces in public on a daily basis.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Australia to ban muslim veil Jul 11, 2011
The Aussie attitude has always been 'Live our way of life or leave' and I think that's a good thing really. There is no excuse for not revealing your identity for security or any other purposes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

event horizon wrote:Two things I've learned in this thread

1) Bora expects people to read articles (I agree, starting with her)

EH, I rarely read your articles as we are all to familiar with what direction the content would take.

-- Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am --

Bethsmum wrote:Who could ever understand Sir Shafique's twisted logic?

I liked Herve's book. It was written by him and his view of what happened. I think if I'd been through what he had I'd be a bit biased too. He's allowed to be biased, he's human.

And I'd make allowances for someone with that accent :bounce:

Being biased is one thing, fabricating is another thing. If you are going to write something based on fact, then stick to the facts. Don't fabricate the truth or add untruths otherwise it becomes a novel based on true events.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

How do you know what the truths are Bora? So how can you say what are untruths or fabrication?
Bethsmum

Re: Australia To Ban Muslim Veil Jul 11, 2011
There were certain facts in the book BM that I know where inaccurate or not true. I'm not referring to the events that Herve himself experienced, but certain facts that pertained to people or places in Dubai.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Can you give me an example Bora?, I mean Dubai World took me to court and tried to prove me wrong and failed, they should have hired you.
Fabrication thats a pretty strong word and an accusation you should support yourself with facts that I will be happy to discuss.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk