Apartheid-like School - Court To Rule

Topic locked
Apartheid-like school - Court to rule Dec 08, 2011
The issue in Israel that had over 100,000 people march in favour of Apartheid-like racial segregation has taken a latest twist - now the high court is hearing a petition against this racial segregation within a girl's school. The 'white' Ashkenazi of European extraction are the ones who don't want to mix with 'non-white' Mizrahis of non-European extraction. Apartheid pure and simple. And within the same religious group.

The incredible scenes of people marching IN FAVOUR of apartheid racial segregation was covered here:
dubai-politics-talk/100-000-jews-march-favour-apartheid-t42271.html

I won't fall into the trap of over-generalising the apartheid wishes of this sub-set of Israeli society - after all, I think most Israelis are against this apartheid - it is interesting to note that this represents racial segregation from within the ultra-orthodox community. The same group of people have a disproportionate political influence in Israel and are behind the discrimination against their non-Jewish residents in the area.

Note that Haaretz reports that the description of the racial segregation is termed 'apartheid like' - and to me is most appropriate:
Israel's High Court to hear petition against segregation at ultra-Orthodox girls' schools
Petition submitted by Noar Kahalacha organization and social activist Yoav Laloum, who headed the fight against ethnic segregation at the Beit Yaakov girls school in the West Bank settlement Immanuel in 2008.

By Tomer Zarchin
Tags: Orthodox Jews Jerusalem

A petition against the Education Ministry, Jerusalem and several other municipalities is to come before the High Court of Justice today seeking to stop the "apartheid-like" ethnic segregation at state-funded, ultra-Orthodox girls high schools.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/ne ... s-1.400252

Shocking stuff.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk