Free Remote Desktop Software?

Topic locked
free remote desktop software? Nov 11, 2008
hi
any recommendations on free remote desktop software? even paid would be ok coz id try and find it and crack it. hehe

looking to access my home computer from work. unfortunately i cant install all software at work as i dont hve admin rights, so if someone knows of something that doesnt install to the system folder etc...

shall also try the built-in software from windows, but dunno if it will work well.

thanks!

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2008
www.logmein.com free and works thur IE so download at home and log into via IE and you'll have access.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 18, 2008
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Nov 24, 2008
yup....the mentioned above are the usual ones used for novice...

If you really want to go in HARDCORE...

Do your homework on "PCHelpware" using Relayers.

wooohoo!
guest999

logmein rocks! Nov 24, 2008
I've been using logmein for like over a year now, and have over 100 that I support including some App. servers. Very secure and simply fantastic.

Did I mention its FREE? :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: free remote desktop software? Nov 27, 2008
Have you tried the remote desktop on Windows? I have been using it for a while and it works perfectly well
Wii
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 27, 2008
When you use Remote Desktop (RDP) in Windows, you have to be on the LAN or part of the same network.

When using LogMeIn, none of that matters. You could be in Egypt and no connected to your corporate network via VPN, just on the internet and you can still remote the user's machine.

Simply brilliant. Plus, its FREE
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2008
nosoup4u wrote:When you use Remote Desktop (RDP) in Windows, you have to be on the LAN or part of the same network.

Necessarily not!

If you intend to use RDP, you could:

a. create a vpn server & connect through vpn as if you were locally connected to the network

b. setup a dynamic dns & connect using RDP over the hostname.

i know its a little complicated, but then you could utilize it for other purposes as well!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 28, 2008
Exactly.

When you use VPN, you connect to your work network. For that like you said, you have to create a VPN server. MS VPN isn't that hard to setup at all, but, there's one small security issue.

Say someone has a VPN shortcut on the desktop and has his password saved. His laptop gets stolen. Breaking a Windows Login password is like cutting a butter with a knife.

With LogMeIn, its a little more complicated. You need a login to enter the logmein website, and even if the person saves his password, when you log in to logmein, and want to connect to a machine, you need to have the username and password of the machine ur connecting to. More secure.

So for this guy, LogMeIn is the best.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2008
boy soupie!

i sure am glad to see you online this late! was up man?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 28, 2008
yeah its been a while bro. how ya been? can't sleep..

hey do u know any places where u can play pool or snooker?
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2008
pool...snooker!?

Online or offline?

Online: yahoo! games

Offline: 9 balls - qusais..& highway billiards -oud metha (??) not sure how long they are open.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 28, 2008
allright.. am off! gotta hit the sack!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 28, 2008
damn.. i live too far away :P

how's yer work going?

I just put in a Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Ent. Ed. and replaced our Lotus Notes Sametime chat.

The one thing I hate, ERP! yuck! :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2008
later man...
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 28, 2008
hey soupie.. why did you invest in LCS ?

Try Openfire from Jivesoftware.

My new startup company is partnering with Jivesoftware. (actually in progress)

The software is free, opensource & i could offer you technical help & embedded devices for the same..is LCS any good..

only benefactor(of LCS) being that it can integrate with MS Products.

you talked about Instant messaging and am not sleepy anymore!

I am implementing Sharepoint services for the company i am working for. (windows sharepoint services - anything that is free)
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Re: free remote desktop software? Dec 09, 2008
I think RealVNC is the best one, just make sure you set a secure password to avoid being hacked.

You can also use Remote Desktop, as long as you have Windows XP Pro.

ineedacoolnick wrote:hi
any recommendations on free remote desktop software? even paid would be ok coz id try and find it and crack it. hehe

looking to access my home computer from work. unfortunately i cant install all software at work as i dont hve admin rights, so if someone knows of something that doesnt install to the system folder etc...

shall also try the built-in software from windows, but dunno if it will work well.

thanks!
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 09, 2009
dynamic dns, NAT routing and RDP, it will cost you nothing. It works great, surprisingly well on slow connections (works on 128k up/down) I have used it for managing numerous servers and it allows you to use encryption if your worried about security
Phil I
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk