Dubai Sore Throat?

Topic locked
dubai sore throat? Jul 08, 2007
I've been here a little over a week and have had a sore throat for most of it. Did anyone else get that when coming over or is it unrelated to coming to Dubai?

dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 08, 2007
it could be because you were traveling.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 08, 2007
Its weather change i guess, nothing more, do warm salt water gargles, if it doesnt stop see a doc probably would ask u to pop in a few erythromycin tabs.

Cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 08, 2007
Drink plenty of water.
Get antibiotics like Augmentin.
For prevention and fitness, drink Vitamin C like Cal-C-Vita effervescent (Calcium+1000mg Vit C).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 09, 2007
thanks guys!

hopefully it goes away.
dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 09, 2007
Drink hot tea with lemon. You could also add Lemsip in it.
Empi
Dubai Forum User

Jul 09, 2007
excuse me sir/madam .. what kind of activities have you been engaged in since you arrived in Dubai that have been giving you the sore throat ?

and follow up question are you from the former soviet union states ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 09, 2007
It's the typical AC flu that everyone gets when they first get here, and at the change of seasons!

NO DON'T take antibiotics! They only work on bacterial infections, most of these things are viral and antibiotics will do absolutely nothing.

I cannot stand the fact that you can buy these things over the counter like sweets, and most people don't know what they need to take them for. This is the reason many people and bugs are becoming immune to anitbiotics! Only take them if your doctor says so.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 10, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:NO DON'T take antibiotics! They only work on bacterial infections, most of these things are viral and antibiotics will do absolutely nothing.
I cannot stand the fact that you can buy these things over the counter like sweets, and most people don't know what they need to take them for. This is the reason many people and bugs are becoming immune to anitbiotics! Only take them if your doctor says so.

Tell it to the doctors in Belhoul hospital where we get those antibiotics ;)
Every one or two months there must be one of us in the family including my 3 yo child getting sore throat (in fact she's today). All the time the doctors have been giving Augmentin (capsule/liquid).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 10, 2007
Then if it's persistant, you've clearly built up an immunity to the antibiotics. They shouldn't give them for colds and flu as they don't work. It's probably the pills themselves causing the problems in the first place.

Also if they keep giving you the same stuff and it's not helping, why don't you question their judgement?

When I was young, we lived in Saudi and me and my brother were given countless loads of antibiotcs 'just in case' as people didn't know any better then, which is why hardly any antibiotics work for me these days. They're not good and should be used with caution and only if absolutely necessary.

They ONLY work on bacterial infections, if it's viral, you just have to wait it out.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 10, 2007
MaaaD wrote:excuse me sir/madam .. what kind of activities have you been engaged in since you arrived in Dubai that have been giving you the sore throat ?

activities? i go to the pool, to work, to my apartment, etc.

yes, i'm from the USA.
dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 10, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Also if they keep giving you the same stuff and it's not helping, why don't you question their judgement?

Because none of us were doctors nor know much about medicine and stuff. If we knew, we wouldn't have to go to the hospital/doctor, would we? ;)
Chocoholic wrote:They ONLY work on bacterial infections, if it's viral, you just have to wait it out.

Do you have baby? ;)
For baby/toddler, "wait it out" = can't eat & drink = weak body & loose weight = more diseases. Could you stand to see your baby like this? I can't.
For adults, it doesn't matter, we all could let it cure itself.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 10, 2007
xty wrote:Because none of us were doctors nor know much about medicine and stuff. If we knew, we wouldn't have to go to the hospital/doctor, would we? ;)

Surely being prescribed antibiotics for minor ailments should ring alarm bells? The whole health industry incentives are skewed to make it too easy to "overtreat" patients for profit rather than just tell them to continue as normal, take some vitamins and let your body do the rest. People generally go to the doctor far more than we need to as well, in the UK it's not uncommon for people to be prescribed placebo medicines (i.e. no active ingredients) just to stop them from coming back.

On the health issue in Dubai, I've never been healthier since I moved here except for when I board long haul flights, I always come back with a cold or sore throat.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 10, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 10, 2007
xty wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:NO DON'T take antibiotics! They only work on bacterial infections, most of these things are viral and antibiotics will do absolutely nothing.

Every one or two months there must be one of us in the family including my 3 yo child getting sore throat (in fact she's today). All the time the doctors have been giving Augmentin (capsule/liquid).

It is a fact that A/C systems can harbour a lot of germs. I have no idea which kind of system you have Winow Units / Splits / Central, let me know then I can expand from here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 10, 2007
M! wrote:
dualcitizen wrote:
MaaaD wrote:......

[..... ]

yes, i'm from the USA.

ROTFL

lol, i was thinking the same, yes this comment pretty much proves that he is from the U S of A lmao.

just to break it down for anyone at a Dubya iq level, the former soviet Union states is right next to the island of Canada, take a left at the second igloo.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 10, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
xty wrote:

It is a fact that A/C systems can harbour a lot of germs. I have no idea which kind of system you have Winow Units / Splits / Central, let me know then I can expand from here.

all central
dualcitizen
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 11, 2007
No I don't have children, but worked with enough to know about them being sick. But that's irrelevant. Fact is the antibiotics will do nothing whatsoever for the condition if it's a viral infection!

Doing a little research of your own never hurts and I really don't trust the doctors here anyway.

By popping loads of those pills all you're doing is screwing up your and your kids immune systems. There are other things you can take for a sore throat. As someone who uses their voice for a living, I'v got treatments for throat, chest etc down to a fine art as I can't afford to have these conditions.

Brilliant drinks are hot honey and lemon with ginger, take tonnes of vitamin C. Actifed is a good cough medicine, but stupidly you need a prescription for it here as it has Codeine in it. Salt ater gargles. And one thing which I discovered by accident but works a treat, is get some disolvable asprin and gargle with that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 11, 2007
You should check first the condition of the Filters in the Fan Coil Units.
Secondly is the Central Conditioned Fresh Air System working? (Alot of building owners turn this of becasue the condioning of "Fresh air" is expensive).
Which kind of Insulation do you have on the Ductwork, Internal or External?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2007
ok i guess everyones given him enuff input to get to his landlord :)

but whatever the USA comment was a gem, made me feel good hehehe
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Surely being prescribed antibiotics for minor ailments should ring alarm bells? The whole health industry incentives are skewed to make it too easy to "overtreat" patients for profit rather than just tell them to continue as normal, take some vitamins and let your body do the rest. People generally go to the doctor far more than we need to as well, in the UK it's not uncommon for people to be prescribed placebo medicines (i.e. no active ingredients) just to stop them from coming back.

On the health issue in Dubai, I've never been healthier since I moved here except for when I board long haul flights, I always come back with a cold or sore throat.

Again, for adults there's no problem. We all can judge & measure by ourself the common disease we get, whether it will cure in short time or not.

But for baby, especially when he/she can't talk/describe yet, we can't measure, can we? And as a parent, I'd rather to have preemptive action than to wait for longer time, even maybe not the most effective one. Who knows and who wants to take the responsibility if the "small" disease/infection may become worse.

I understand there are some "consequences". After all, I don't think getting couple of days drugs once every 2-3 months will affect the kid's immune system. It's still "normal" I guess.

In general, we should somehow trust the doctor or any other services in any industries. If at the beginning there is no trust, then don't bother to ask for their services. Sometimes trust & faith cures more than the medicine itself.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai