U.S. Uni. Graduate Asking For 6000 Dhs A Month. Too Much?

Topic locked
U.S. uni. graduate asking for 6000 Dhs a month. Too much? Apr 20, 2007
I'm asking this question not rhetorically or sarcastically, but sincerely. I don't know what type of salary I should expect. I'm a graduate from Arizona State University. In the U.S., the average starting salary of W.P Carey graduates with my degree is $50,678/year. I have a 3.16/4 GPA. My resume is here.

I thought that I'd be a catch if I lowered my limit to 6000 Dhs, but still no one seems interested.

Should I lower it even further or is there something else I need to change?

msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

6000 is not enough for your qualifications May 06, 2007
With your quals, you should not accept less than 250,000dhs per year to work in dubai and keep in mind that you are an american. It just takes time
darrenpatrick2000
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: 6000 is not enough for your qualifications May 06, 2007
darrenpatrick2000 wrote:With your quals, you should not accept less than 250,000dhs per year to work in dubai and keep in mind that you are an american. It just takes time

20K a month for a fresher.....You are joking.....Are americans gods gift to this country that a fresher should get 20K....

Man I dont know where you people come from.. Msafi, all the best in listening to good advise...

I suggest you go thru this site....Salary related questions has been done to death and I believe you will get a fair idea of what package you can get..

Cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

May 06, 2007
Revise your CV and don't be too task focus when re-writing your CV. Task-focus CV is attractive to company that pays lower salary. If you don't want this to happen then go over your CV and see what's wrong in it.

Good Luck!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

May 06, 2007
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I have done some more work on my resume, which got me some interviews.

I have found a temporary job for now (3000 Dhs/month) as a marketing/sales planner to occupy myself while I'm still looking. Actually after doing some research and looking at positions and their salaries in recruitment companies websites, I'd say that, generally, I won't settle for less than 8000 in Dubai.

I think when I tell people that I'd accept a low salary, they don't think highly of my skills. Next time, I'll not name a salary but just say that I'm highly capable and should be paid accordingly. And I'll let them name the salary.

Oh, and BTW, I graduated from ASU but I'm not American, I'm Saudi.

Here's my new resume:

OBJECTIVE:
A Junior Business Analyst (or similar) position where adaptability, reliability, IT knowledge, multi-language, and critical thinking skills will add value to the company

EDUCATION:
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ USA
W.P Carey School of Business
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems (May 2006)
GPA: 3.16 on a scale of 4

SKILLS:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Arabic
* Well trained and read in business analysis and strategy
* Extensive experience in utilizing computers to organize information and execute tasks

ACHIEVEMENTS:
* Secured a permanent job offer at a major bank in Saudi Arabia by demonstrating high analytical skills and persistence throughout the interviews and assessment process
* Earned an academic scholarship to study in the United States after showing outstanding school performance and maintaining a high GPA
* Graduated from an extremely competitive program of the 26th highest ranking business school in the U.S.*
(* Ranked according to USNews College Ranking 2006)

EXPERIENCE:
XXX (October 2006 – March 2007)
* Communicated, in English, the company values and activities to artists in order to re-design the company branding and signage to enhance brand recognition
* Researched for and negotiated with independent designers to avoid paying unnecessarily high fees to design companies while still delivering a creative design and quality
* Managed the creation of company Internet domain name and provided employees with professional email addresses for use in correspondences with clients
* Trained employees on the uses and benefits of Microsoft Excel®
* Helped employees with technical computer and network problems

SELECTED ACADEMIC COURSES & PROJECTS:

Organizational Management and Leadership (MGT 300):
* Led a team of six members to write reports and make timely and reliable submissions
Enterprise Process Analysis and Design (ACC 330):
* Interviewed business owners and listened to them describe the internal processes of their business
* Identified potential security threats in the processes and made recommendations
* Presented the findings to a group of audience using Microsoft PowerPoint slides®
Writing for Professions (ENG 301):
* Earned an excellent grade for creating a 20-page detailed and practical business plan for a restaurant
Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues in Business (LES 305):
* Utilized library and online sources to research a political scandal by a former U.S. congressman, and identified the specific law articles that were violated
* Reported on the findings by preparing a highly precise and organized document
* Made a presentation of the findings to an audience of more than 200 people
Uses of Financial Accounting Information (ACC 230):
* Worked with team members to analyze the financial statements of McDonald’s Co. and Jack in The Box (another fast-food chain)
* Calculated the ratios for each company
* Using the ratios, analysis and market research, we compared the companies to each other and the industry to determine which company has a better standing and growth potential

ACTIVITIES
* Extensive traveling in the United States and the Middle East
* Lived in the United States for five years with different housemates and with people from around the world
* Read various business and people relations books and articles such as ‘What is Strategy?’, ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People’, ‘The World is Flat’, and ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

hmmm May 14, 2007
8000Dhs. Sounds a decent target. I’m an Asian who has a US degree. I get around 6K..but here’s the catch: My benefits are a fully furnished luxury flat in the Greens with free food at work, healthcare, insurance and peace of mid.

My Suggestion: find a job that will pay you around 10K+. Don’t let people tell you that a US degree doesn’t mean anything. It really does in this part of the world where people are hired mostly for their experience in the gulf, which is what you need now. Combined with that and the education you’ll be quite set for your future having gained international exposure outside the US.

Best of luck! You’ll do fine. Don’t let people demoralize you with their stories of bad luck here. It’s what you make of it, you can succeed anywhere you want to as long as your mind is set on it.
alwayssuperstylin
Dubai Forums Member

May 15, 2007
I'd like to add my comments for what they are worth. In Dubai when it comes to recruitment your qualification obviously holds some weight (due to the nature of the labour legislation), however most companies prefer to take candidates with "real world experience", and more particularly "Gulf experience". In your case you only have 6 months work experience in real terms - irrespective of the obviously good qualification you have.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 15, 2007
Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

I found a job with a company in Dubai Internet City. Everything is fairly well, except the commute, which is 2 hours each way, so that's 4 hours of my youth wasted every day. I get 7k for my work. Since I cannot seem to find anything better, I'll hold on to this job and work something out in the future.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2007
As long as you are not struggling just thank your stars and be content with what you have. Bare in mind you are pretty much a fresh grad (hard to get your foot in the door with that here) and are still pulling in a decent number over people who have been here awhile.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 16, 2007
I agree with XRV... it is extremely difficult for Fresh Grads to get a job here. You are expected to come with experience and be able to hit the ground running, no one has the patience to teach stuff to expats here.

7k is okay, but do push for a lot more after 2 years max.
cactus_rock
Dubai Forums Member

May 16, 2007
The guy who hired me just came here from the UK to start a new department in the company. He said he liked my personality and wanted me to be part of his team even though I asked for more than what the position pays. He "broke the structure" and got me hired. He's a very friendly and flexible person. The field in which the company operates is within my expertise and they have future plans that I find exciting. All these things discourage me from continuing to look for other jobs, even though some new opportunity just opened up.

However, someone asked if I'm struggling, and I would consider the 4 hour commute to be a relatively painful struggle. Nonetheless, the 'new opportunity' wouldn't improve anything in that regard. Decisions, Decisions...

Anyway, sorry if I sounded like I'm bragging. I appreciate all the help, advice and insight everyone, so thanks...
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 21, 2007
Maybe, I'm kinda late and getting to personal here... but WHY didnt you try to gain some experience back in the States...

See, If you tried to gain some experience in the states, that would have been candy on your Resume. Now most of us study there not just for the degree buddy, we all need to gain experience. YES (for all those mofo's who think US Degree's dont make a difference) THEY DO ! but thats not alone... you need experience...

@others who would object me regarding the US Degree - If you were to be hiring and if you had an IVY league grad infront of you; would you not be chosing him over some person who is a graduate from, for example - Australia with the same number of experiences???

anyhow, msafi - try moving into the greens or Jabel Ali Gardens (share an apt. if you have to ) what your getting.. grab it before the offer goes...
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

May 21, 2007
Actually, I got a job in the states after my first interview. Then, thanks to John Ashcroft, I didn't get a work permit (or if you're into technical terms 'Optional Practical Training' permit). An attorney, I spoke to, recommended that I appeal, but I said f*ck it. I couldn't stay in the U.S. on my student visa. Furthermore, I wanted to go back to Saudi because there was something on my mind, which, as it turned out, wasn't real. So, I'm not gonna go back to the States, Saudi sucks, the only option left was to come here.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 21, 2007
msafi wrote:So, I'm not gonna go back to the States, Saudi sucks, the only option left was to come here.

This is the first time I hear Saudian says that Saudi sucks. I heard many times from others ;)
I thought you might be better in Saudi first to get your first experience, better pay, cheaper cost. After all, it's your own country. Then after couple of years, you could move to Dubai.
PS: Just don't ask me to live in Saudi ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 22, 2007
hmm this is weird that your having a hard time finding a good paying job, because i thought if you are a GCC national your 2nd on the priority list after a local to fill a position with any government or semi-government company.

Did you try the likes of Dubai Holdings (and the zillion spin off companies), Emaar, Dubai World, Du , Etisalat , etc ... ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2007
I was just telling someone today about how there is so much money in Saudi and very low level of competition, and he said: why did you leave that and come here? I didn't know what to answer.

I tell myself that I could've had a beautiful life in Saudi, then I remind myself that I could imagine anything I want, but in reality I was depressed when I was there...

I'm not feeling much happier here either, unfortunately. I hope things will change when I move to Dubai, start settling down in the job and start making friends.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 22, 2007
MaaaD wrote:Did you try the likes of Dubai Holdings (and the zillion spin off companies), Emaar, Dubai World, Du , Etisalat , etc ... ?

I looked at all the places that you mentioned, I haven't heard back from any of them, yet. May be they are taking their time, but also, like many people here said, may be they are looking for experienced workers, not freshers. I'd not know.

I will wait another six months in this job before I start searching for jobs again. It's not that I don't like this job, but just to see why people weren't responding to me, and if the number of responses/offers I get will be different then.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 22, 2007
msafi wrote:
MaaaD wrote:Did you try the likes of Dubai Holdings (and the zillion spin off companies), Emaar, Dubai World, Du , Etisalat , etc ... ?

I looked at all the places that you mentioned, I haven't heard back from any of them, yet. May be they are taking their time, but also, like many people here said, may be they are looking for experienced workers, not freshers. I'd not know.

I will wait another six months in this job before I start searching for jobs again. It's not that I don't like this job, but just to see why people weren't responding to me, and if the number of responses/offers I get will be different then.

Government departments take a very long time actually, based on many friend's experiences. Expect a few calls in six months. I'm not kidding.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: 6000 is not enough for your qualifications May 23, 2007
darrenpatrick2000 wrote:With your quals, you should not accept less than 250,000dhs per year to work in dubai and keep in mind that you are an american. It just takes time

Darren, he's not American at all - he's a Saudi. But as others have said, I would have thought that your experience of different cultures would be an asset.

It's more than likely your lack of actual on the job experience. I'd stick it out where you are, and use the opportunity to learn and gain as much experience as you possibly can. Then try moving upwards.

Good luck :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 23, 2007
Mashaal wrote:If you were to be hiring and if you had an IVY league grad infront of you; would you not be chosing him over some person who is a graduate from, for example - Australia with the same number of experiences???

Considering I got myself an Aussie education, nope :P
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2007
"I thought that I'd be a catch if I lowered my limit to 6000 Dhs, but still no one seems interested."

i just thought i'd throw my tuppence in here, there's a saying in Scotland that if 'you lower the price, you devalue the product'.

i'll be honest, i've not quite followed where you're working now but if you bullshit with enough confidence you'd be surprised by how successful the response will be.

i'm the same age and on 23,000 / month
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 09, 2007
jcraiggibson wrote:"I thought that I'd be a catch if I lowered my limit to 6000 Dhs, but still no one seems interested."

i just thought i'd throw my tuppence in here, there's a saying in Scotland that if 'you lower the price, you devalue the product'.

i'll be honest, i've not quite followed where you're working now but if you bullshit with enough confidence you'd be surprised by how successful the response will be.

is that 23K all inclusive of housing, transportation, living or is that just salary, that's not a bad deal at all depending on the answer.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 09, 2007
jcraiggibson wrote:"I thought that I'd be a catch if I lowered my limit to 6000 Dhs, but still no one seems interested."

23K a month! Wow! Can I be your friend?

I agree with you that I devalued myself and that I could've scored a lot higher had I bullshit'd with confidence. I should've thought out a massive scheme for my resume and interviews. Anyway, everything is well now. I imagine that where I work, I could easily reach 25K a month (incentives included) within a 2 years period.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2007

Well, you are British. The companies here will believe anything you say. Old-school occupation mentality. No offence to you though. It is good that you took advantage of their stupidity and worked it to get an edge over Indians/Arabs/Asians.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 10, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Well, you are British. The companies here will believe anything you say. Old-school occupation mentality. No offence to you though. It is good that you took advantage of their stupidity and worked it to get an edge over Indians/Arabs/Asians.

Can I ask what your issue is with British and Americans? Every chance you get you bring this up where money and packages are involved? I take it you're neither British or American but come under the Indians/Arabs/Asians "umbrella"? You always sound very sour in your comments? Please do enlighten me?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 10, 2007
XPClone wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Can I ask what your issue is with British and Americans? Every chance you get you bring this up where money and packages are involved? I take it you're neither British or American but come under the Indians/Arabs/Asians "umbrella"? You always sound very sour in your comments? Please do enlighten me?

How am I against Brit/Americans if I obviously support the Western concept of giving jobs not based on race, colour and religion? It's nice to ignore the issue when it is in your favour, ain'nit?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 10, 2007
i didn't mean to arouse any aggro, i was just stating my opinion in the hope it might have benefited msafi.

however, firstly i think the term 'bullshitting' might've been misleading, i didn't mean lie, i just meant exagerate the positives.

secondly, i would stop short of referring to the 'going rate' as "their stupidity" gtmash. in actual fact, i'm sure you would reconsider what you said if i told you i was a black african - the only reference i made to race / nationality was that there is a saying in Scotland about value.

so, msafi and i could be in the exact same boat in terms of heading to the west for further education (only difference is that he went to USA and i could have gone to Scotland). in which case the only point of my original post was to offer encouragement to msafi based on my experience, and wasn't due any discourteous words from you regarding the fact that some people do better in Dubai, for example, than others.

it's all relative to the work you do, and the value of that work to whoever is paying the fees. the fact you could have an Egyptian being paid peanuts to drive taxis and an american being well paid as a doctor is more to do with opportunity than race - who's to say if the taxi driver was born in middle-america he wouldn't have been a doctor. the fact is, the hypothetical american did, and is getting well rewarded for taking advantage of his opportunities. there are plenty of his equivalents who didn't, you just don't see them, likewise the hypothetical Egyptian taxi driver who took advantage of his opportunity to get more money for his family here than back home.

same could be said of me, so thanks for your kind words in light of me taking advantage of your assumed and by no means rightful 'old school occupation mentality'

that said, i tend to avoid people who openly talk about how much money they earn and i shouldn't have started this tangent by highlighting my own position - which is by no means extravagant, but surprise surprise, better than back home.

whilst i don't necessarily subscribe to the notion, there are probably a number of people who think you have a chip on your shoulder based on your second-last comment gtmash.

in any case, the only thing that matters is that msafi is happy in his current position. needless to say there is no point in continuing this thread, except for some impotent self-indulgence regarding an individual's take on racial equality around the globe and / or a boastful reminder to themself in lieu of their closest and dearest back home, that they really do earn more money in dubai than they would if they'd stayed at home.

shit, is that right?? so that's why there are so many different nationalities in dubai!! i never would've guessed...
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 10, 2007
DP
jcraiggibson
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 10, 2007
gtmash wrote:
XPClone wrote:
gtmash wrote:

How am I against Brit/Americans if I obviously support the Western concept of giving jobs not based on race, colour and religion? It's nice to ignore the issue when it is in your favour, ain'nit?

I didn't state that you were against them- I merely asked what your issue is. In many posts you have given the same comments - and who said I was ignoring the issue?

I would suggest you answer the question or stop whining. Your pointless post highlighted above just goes to prove how sour you are. I was just asking what your thoughts were on the issue as it was obvious it was an issue to you.

Oh **** it - I can't be bothered.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum