South African Moving To Dubai - Some Questions And Concerns

Topic locked
South African moving to Dubai - Some Questions and Concerns Sep 30, 2005
:D Hi,

We (my wife and 6 month old twins) have the possibility of accepting a position in Dubai and we have the following questions and concerns:

a) What would the cost be for a full time nanny?
b) Would it be possible to bring along my current nanny (black) and how would she be accepted in the Dubai community?
c) Is it possible / easy to send money to SA?
d) What is a good place to stay (i.e. where does the SA expats stay)?

Any other information you may consider pertinent would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Rigard
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: South African moving to Dubai - Some Questions and Conce Sep 30, 2005
Rigard wrote::D Hi,

We (my wife and 6 month old twins) have the possibility of accepting a position in Dubai and we have the following questions and concerns:

Hi there, hope this is of some use...

if you have a live in maid you will be looking at about 1,500 AED per month - this normally includes food, 6 days per week.
if you have a maid through a hiring service, but not live in it will cost you about 2,200 to 2,500 per month as they provide the food and accomodation.

b) Would it be possible to bring along my current nanny (black) and how would she be accepted in the Dubai community?

yes, you can. you will have to sponsor her on your visa. there are a few south african maids working here, but only a few. normally the department of immigration won't allow you to employ a domestic from the same country (same countries passport) as they have had problems in the past with people bringing "domestics" in to the country who are family members - to work illegally. they may allow it if you have a strong enough case - in your case you would both be of different ethnic backgrounds, and you could also qualify it by saying she has been in your employ for a number of years and is farmiliar to your children

yes, but expect a call from your sa bank every once in a while as any transfer over 10,000 rand is flaged and they have to report it - new money laundering law. it will cost you about 60 AED to transfer each time (about 100 rand) with the local bank, and south african banks charge about 200 rand to clear and process it (stamp duties etc). best to build up a fairly substantial amount and then transfer it as the charges are the same

all over the place, like fleas on a dog at the moment, about 22 to 25,000 sa expats here. don't make any smart remarks in afrikaans about any one as you are likly to get a "warm klap" ha-ha-ha. depends on where you are working and how much money you can afford to spend!

make sure your childrens vaccination cards are up to date! as they are quiet fussy about that here!

i'm sure there is plenty of other odds and ends, but it is easier to address specific questions. read through some of the other postings on this site as most of them have some value!

P.S. don't pack any winter clothes! a sweater is about as much as you need

regards
Thank you kindly.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: South African moving to Dubai - Some Questions and Conce Sep 30, 2005
Rigard wrote::D Hi,

Hi there, hope this is of some use...

if you have a live in maid you will be looking at about 1,500 AED per month - this normally includes food, 6 days per week.
if you have a maid through a hiring service, but not live in it will cost you about 2,200 to 2,500 per month as they provide the food and accomodation.

yes, you can. you will have to sponsor her on your visa. there are a few south african maids working here, but only a few. normally the department of immigration won't allow you to employ a domestic from the same country (same countries passport) as they have had problems in the past with people bringing "domestics" in to the country who are family members - to work illegally. they may allow it if you have a strong enough case - in your case you would both be of different ethnic backgrounds, and you could also qualify it by saying she has been in your employ for a number of years and is farmiliar to your children

yes, but expect a call from your sa bank every once in a while as any transfer over 10,000 rand is flaged and they have to report it - new money laundering law. it will cost you about 60 AED to transfer each time (about 100 rand) with the local bank, and south african banks charge about 200 rand to clear and process it (stamp duties etc). best to build up a fairly substantial amount and then transfer it as the charges are the same

all over the place, like fleas on a dog at the moment, about 22 to 25,000 sa expats here. don't make any smart remarks in afrikaans about any one as you are likly to get a "warm klap" ha-ha-ha. depends on where you are working and how much money you can afford to spend!

make sure your childrens vaccination cards are up to date! as they are quiet fussy about that here!

i'm sure there is plenty of other odds and ends, but it is easier to address specific questions. read through some of the other postings on this site as most of them have some value!

P.S. don't pack any winter clothes! a sweater is about as much as you need

regards
Thank you kindly.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: South African moving to Dubai - Some Questions and Conce Oct 01, 2005
Rigard wrote:a) What would the cost be for a full time nanny?

As little as around Dh1,000 a month, plus annual visa fees.

The usual moneylaundering laws mean that large transfers get flagged, but AFAIK there are no limits on what you can remit.

Anywhere you can afford, that isn't too far from your workplace. Avoid living in Sharjah or Deira if you work south of the Creek.

If you come here, I think restricting yourself to the SA expat community is kind of... a disappointing attitude.

Also, don't put an SA flag on your car. SAfricans are about the only nationality that does this, god knows why, and it makes the rest of us want to rear end them. I actually think it's rude to come to a foreign country and start waving your national flag all around the place, regardless of what nation you're from.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 01, 2005
Hahahahah, I’d have to say your comment on the flags busted me, I’m guilty of this. Actually I’ve seen many flags from all over, I’d have to say Canada would definitely give SAF a run for its money, there are also a lot of AUS, Brits and Lebanese rounding out the top 5.

I think people do it because they move here knowing no one and hoping at the very least it’ll be a conversation starter. I made 2 of my first Dubai friends simply because they recognized my Roots hoodie (Roots is a Canadian clothing company)

You are right it is disrespectful to our local hosts though, to justify it when I stuck on my CDN flag I also bought a UAE one and stuck that on as well.

I totally agree with your other comment, If you just hang out with people of a similar background you are truly missing the opportunity that is Dubai.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 01, 2005
much to my fathers distress, i plan on sticking a 'proud to be emarati' sticker on the back of our Yukon when i start driving ;)

i'm PRACTICALLY local... :roll:
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum