Shopping Costs, Appearance Concerns...

Topic locked
Shopping costs, appearance concerns... Sep 20, 2005
Hi everyone,

I've been reading over the forums, trying to make sure that I don't post a question that's been answered over and over again.

I will be moving to Dubai in a few months. For my job, absolutely everything is taken care of--food, utilities, travel, housing, car and driver, etc. In addition, I will be making about 734Dh per week (US $200)--not much, I know, but it's for a part-time job. I'll also have opportunities to make extra money should I choose. But, just for argument's sake, say I chose to simply work part time. How would I do on that amount of money when I will only be using it for entertainment? Take shopping, for example. Are clothing prices similar to those in the U.S.? What might a pair of jeans--not super designer, just around the Banana Republic level, perhaps--cost in Dubai? A novel?

Also--is it work the transformer trouble to take things like hair dryer, curling iron, etc., or should I just plan to buy them there? As far as a computer goes, I'd like to bring my laptop. But after an experience with an exploding hair dryer in Rome, I'm somewhat wary of converters. My laptop is a bit more expensive :) and I'd hate to overload it and kill it. Any thoughts? I certainly can't afford to buy another computer. :) Does anyone have any reassuring US-to-UAE-transformers-used-with-computers stories?

And finally--I'm a young and blonde, and I've found in my travels in Italy and Central America that my coloring and appearance often attracts unwanted attention (staring, "hey blondie," "hey Barbie," touching my hair and face, etc.). Is this likely to be a problem in Dubai? Staring I can deal with--should I prepare myself to be verbally harassed?

Thanks so much!

elizabeth
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 20, 2005
Hi
I think you'll find clothing same or cheaper and especially if it is on sale it seems to be a bargain. There are so many stores to choose from too so that is a bonus.
Being blonde I don't think is such a big deal-nobody seems to care that much and I don't think you'll get anymore attention than you do at home and verbal harassment I'd say definitely not.
Electrical is cheap but conversion plugs are easy and cheap to get in the local supermarket- I guess it depends if you want to buy that stuff again-we bought a fair bit of that stuff with us which in one respect was totally unnecessary but after moving a bit I was sick of dealing with multiple appliances when we got home, like 3 kettles, four toasters etc. BTW I use a converter plug for my hair-dryer and numerous other items including computer (not from US tho'), microwave and it is fine.
Good luck with your move!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 22, 2005
Transformers: they will work fine here, don't worry. Just buy better quality, fused ones if possible. Certainly no need to re-buy all your electrical equipment here.

Re clothing costs: if you want to deck yourself out in designer gear, you'll struggle at that salary level. Western imported clothes are way more expensive than back in Europe etc. UK clothes in particular. However there are many tailors here who can "copy" clothes very cheaply - though they tend to be best copying Asian styles and conventional blouses/shirts and things.

Any woman here is likely to be verbally harassed, but not in a very bad way. Being blonde, you will be alternately mistaken for an Emirates air hostess or a "Russian" (=east European/CIS/Russian - they don't distinguish here) prostitute when in certain places such as nightclubs, but a firm and polite "no, go away" should rid you of any trouble. The police should give you the benefit of the doubt if anyone harrasses you, particularly an expat man.

It is very safe here compared to many western countries. But live by the rules of common sense that apply anywhere: don't get drunk and defenceless except with friends you know and trust well, don't accept lifts from men you don't know well, regardless of how charming they are (particularly groups of men) and avoid giving out your address/phone number as much as possible. You can always give out your work number instead, if you aren't sure what someone's intentions are.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2005
Elizabeth,

Have a look to your laptop's power adapter - if reads something like:
INPUT: 100 - 240V~ and 50-60Hz

Than no need for tranformer , you might need a plug adapter (USD4-6 in a spermarket in Dubai) as wall socket layout may be different (maybe you already got it with your laptop)
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum