San Francisco To Dubai - Worth The Move?

Topic locked
San Francisco to Dubai - Worth the move? Sep 13, 2007
Hey, I am a recent graduate from Berkeley currently living in San Francisco. I applied to an entry level position in Dubai at a local architecture firm. Got the job and they are offering 24K annual with accommodation and transportation to/from work. Do you think this is a good offer? Appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Mazdaspeedx3
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 13, 2007
If you are single - yes
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 13, 2007
For a recent graduate, very good offer around here. Although I don't know, but maybe you can do better in USA itself?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: San Francisco to Dubai - Worth the move? Sep 13, 2007
Mazdaspeedx3 wrote:Hey, I am a recent graduate from Berkeley currently living in San Francisco. I applied to an entry level position in Dubai at a local architecture firm. Got the job and they are offering 24K annual with accommodation and transportation to/from work. Do you think this is a good offer? Appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Wait a minute, that's 24K per year? On which currency? It can't be AED for sure.
If it's USD (about 2K/month = 7340 AED/month), if your accommodation and transportation have been taken care of, then you'll be Ok if you're single (can save few thousands) but not a very good offer. After all, you're a fresher, so you may have to suck it up.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 13, 2007
but back in San fran he'd have to pay taxes, rent and transpo himself. so while the amount doesnt seem very high, its a good package for recent grad.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 13, 2007
I'm really appreciating the feedback..here in the States, for a junior architect..median salary is around 35K. And the rent here in San Francisco is ridiculous. And yes I am single, so it seems I could save some money.
Mazdaspeedx3
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 13, 2007
you won't live large on that here-- certainly not the kind of lifestyle you would enjoy in the US (would move outta SF to start!)-- but you are just straight out of college...

also technically you DO have to pay US taxes-- IRS demands it-- tho there is a 75k credit applied straight up-- over that you pay the difference so not an issue (i think-- but check w/an accountant)

still, i'd give it a second thought...sorry
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007
my friend you are a ivy leaguer, 24000 dollars per year in my opinion is very low, im sure you can do much better in the states.

By the way, are you a white american ?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 14, 2007
btw, it's a shame but they don't sell the mazda 3 speed here :(

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 14, 2007
I'm Black American actually..do you think this makes much of a difference?
Mazdaspeedx3
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 14, 2007
not at all-- you'd be judged more on country of origin than skin colour... of course that does mean there's bias there-- but in this instance it works in your favour (coming from US/West is a plus)
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007
project3030 wrote:my friend you are a ivy leaguer, 24000 dollars per year in my opinion is very low, im sure you can do much better in the states.

Not exactly. Considering his accommodation and transportation are provided (as long as it's not a shared room & car), that would be doubling the basic salary, plus no tax here. So he'll make a total, comparable to US, roughly 60K per year. I think it's a decent salary for fresher.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 15, 2007
I guess now that I look at it 24k is fair but im surprised that college graduates out of an ivy league institution only earn 34K starting in the states. You can't support a good life on 7300 dirhams a month but for a fresher I guess it's fair, have fun in Dubai !

By the way, do you know where your company is putting you up ?
project3030
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 15, 2007
project3030 wrote:I guess now that I look at it 24k is fair but im surprised that college graduates out of an ivy league institution only earn 34K starting in the states. You can't support a good life on 7300 dirhams a month but for a fresher I guess it's fair, have fun in Dubai !

Nowadays with tougher competition, experience is worth much more than famous universities and degrees. Especially in the technical fields like IT, engineering. Except probably for freshers to distinct with other freshers.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 16, 2007
That's so true..All companies want experience these days. I mean while it's nice to have that prestigious degree..its all about what you can bring to the table. I think after some experience in Dubai..I can be a little more competitive.

On a side note..xty..Forza Azzurri!!
Mazdaspeedx3
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 16, 2007
Gone are the days where having an education from a top college/uni guarantees you a top job.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 17, 2007
24k does seem low... i grad. w/ a lib arts degree in 87 and my 1st job was 18k (typ entry level) -- thot kids now were looking at 30k min...
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2007
Sydneysider wrote:24k does seem low... i grad. w/ a lib arts degree in 87 and my 1st job was 18k (typ entry level) -- thot kids now were looking at 30k min...

As noted, his $24K is nett (exclude accommodation & transport allowance, no-tax). So it'd be comparable to $55-65K gross.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 17, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Gone are the days where having an education from a top college/uni guarantees you a top job.

You can say that again.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 17, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Gone are the days where having an education from a top college/uni guarantees you a top job.

You can say that again.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum