Reasonable Job Offer?

Topic locked
Reasonable Job Offer? Aug 19, 2008
Hello,

I've been offered a job in Dubai. I'm in my late 20's, single, no house, and I love travel and am looking for an excuse to get out of London, so I may well take it.

Is it possible to live reasonably on the following package please... I do not expect to live anywhere flash, but there's no point going if I can't enjoy it out there...

My offer is:

- Monthly salary of AED 37,000 (which they say breaks down into AED 22k base salary, AED 11k housing, AED 4k transportation).

- 25 days leave per year

- Return flights London/Dubai

- Moving allowance of AED 12k

- One month's accommodation (so I then have to get my own).

By comparison, I earn £50k in London and pay £600 per month in rent.

Big questions I have:

- how easy will it be to get a room in a shared house when I get there?

- they don't include a car, so is it reasonable to expect to be able to get around in taxi's everywhere?

Thanks very much for any tips,

Helen

nomadic
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 19, 2008
you don't say what you do so it is difficult to assess the offer. package sounds good for dubai tho.

taxis are a nightmare-- get yourself a rental straight-away. your UK licence will transfer over.

as for house share, best thing to do is hook into the western ex-pat grapevine now via this forum and others

good luck!
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008
Hi Helen,

I'm in exactly the same situation, just waiting the salary offer from my employer. They confirmed yesterday they were offering me the job - I just need to see some numbers now.

Like you, I'm tempted to share when I get out there. not because I can't afford my own place, but I want to get to know people, and sharing for 6-12 months could be a good way to do this.

Good luck with the move - when do you think you'll be heading out there? If you find any good sharing sites, let me know, as I'm struggling a bit at present.

Cheers,
Will
will_968
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum