Question About Passport

Topic locked
question about passport Mar 23, 2009
Hallo everybody! i am new here in Dubai, i have one question about passport, i start working in Hospitality business here in Dubai, and my employer took my passport...and they say my passport will be kept in company, they gave me copy of it, they say its for security reason, in case i LOST IT.....is it common here this thing with passports?

thank you advance ( is somebody actually answers :D )

Mr.Uzbek
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 23, 2009
illegal, but all companies do it.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Re: question about passport Mar 24, 2009
Mr.Uzbek wrote:Hallo everybody! i am new here in Dubai, i have one question about passport, i start working in Hospitality business here in Dubai, and my employer took my passport...and they say my passport will be kept in company, they gave me copy of it, they say its for security reason, in case i LOST IT.....is it common here this thing with passports?

thank you advance ( is somebody actually answers :D )

It is illegal for the Company to retain your passport, you can visit the Police and make a small complaint or better still threaten them that you will do that.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
Pankaj wrote:illegal, but all companies do it.

Wrong! Illegal, but 'some' companies do it!

Tell you're company that they can keep your labour card, but you're taking your passport as it's illegal for them to retain it.

Or just say you require it for the bank or something like that, then don't give it back.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: question about passport Mar 24, 2009
It's illegal according to a message in your passport that your passport is not your property but property of the State of Uzbekistan and you can't transfer it to any person but I'm not sure that the solution is as easy as S. Onion said.

For example Authority of my Free Zone takes passports of all employees after issuing residence visa and return it back only after having a letter from employer... So I'm not sure but I don't think that anybody could requre his/her passport back via police without a reason...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
thank you very much for answers, I asked that question to our HR....and she said in case of emergency she definitely will give it back, i read horror stories about modern day slavery, when people go to foreign countries and employer took their passports and make them work for EVER, everything ok in my situation except that they got passport and gave me copy of it.....i will try to take it back, i guess make some "story".....i need for emergency or something.

In Russian Embassy ( i am Russian citizen) also, told me that i MUST have my passport with me all the time, because its MY responsibility.....kinda strange here....

but thank you PEOPLE! for answers! appreciated
Mr.Uzbek
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 25, 2009
I guess that Chocos gave the best advice about opening personal accout in the bank. You can check how it works this way...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 26, 2009
My old company used to retain passports and I refused to let them keep it, as I said tell them they can keep your labour card instead and take your passport back. If they get really shitty about it, you simply say that they are not allowed to keep it, it is the property of your government and they must write to your embassy stating WHY they wish to retain it, either that or threaten to come back with the police.

Companies can be fined 10,000 Dhs for EVERY passport they are caught withholding.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2009
Some low paid and 'disposable' workers are told 'we keep your passport or we take away your job'. I hope you don't fall into that situation. The companies worry about absconding workers causing problems for them with the authorities, that's the reason, but yes for sure it's illegal now.

Good luck.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum